PDA

View Full Version : short documentary on mantis

Oso
09-19-2006, 07:48 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8101520807550461409

mantis108
09-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Finally, something much more refreshing than just a bunch of form demos. I like the fact that this person is paying a lot of attention in doing the basics and also there's sparring in the class. That's how a Kung Fu class should be.

I hope he will continue on teaching and I wish him all the success in his career.

Mantis108

mantid1
09-20-2006, 11:42 AM
I think that is Mr. Tunks student.

Yao Sing
09-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Wow, an hour long warm-up. How many spend that much time on warm-up? I wonder how long the class itself goes?

Very similar to a typical Wah Lum class. Only difference is the Temple doesn't spar at the end of each class. Some branch schools might though but with 30+ students in class it's difficult.

What are the running jumping turn around crescent kicks called? We called them Sporto kicks but I have no idea where that name came from. I had to do them but I never really cared much for them. Too much like modern Whushu for me.

Oso
09-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Really, Tunks'?

It seemed like the kicks were kinda wushuie though they did have the caveat that they didn't consider them effective fighting material, just body conditioning and such which they no doubt are. The form was way tight.

YS: I run a 2 hour class with a 30 minute warmup/strength period at the beginning of class. The "Pong Lai Warmup" as taught by Shiye, stance training and qigong + other strength goodies thrown in if there is time...just saying ;) It's not an hour, granted.

B.Tunks
09-20-2006, 10:33 PM
All,

I can't watch this here at the moment but I guess it's my student Nang's begginers class in Melbourne.

Regarding the kicks- of course some of these kicks are entirely for training flexibility and explosive power and are therefore not 'directly' applicable (eg Zheng ti tui- straight raising kick). In that this is an elementary group, they are required to train elementary gongfu- including 'childrens gongfu' such as hurricane kicks, single and double flying kicks etc. These kicks are uncommon in TLQ taolu but are good for developing the previously mentioned attributes. When used, they are with single or double step(at the most) take off- hence what you see in this clip appearing to be 'wushu' (I gather you mean: sports wushu). In fact these are generic northern gongfu kicks and have certainly been adopted into the basic training of modern wushu, not the other way around. However poorly they were demonstrated in the clip, there is also a group of kicks amongst these drills that are totally TLQ specific. This clip does not show the entire kicking drill set (yes there are even more!).

This clip shows only the very stripped down elementary class. Complete sessions usually run a minimum of 2 hours (ideally 3). In this clip there was no (from memory) partnered drills, very little conditioning and minimal zhan zhuang.

The sparringin this clip is begginers entry level open hand sparring. I have to say, and so would Nang- the sparring in this clip is pretty horrible. I shouldn't make excuses for the level of the students (though by saying that I just have, ha ha), I will just say that it was no good. I dont advocate bouncing around for no apparent reason nor limp wristed guards, regardless of the level. Having said that, I think the boy are having a good dig and perhaps one of them has some potential.

Don't take the ladies commentary too seriously, it's from a lay persons perspective as it was not a martial arts doco but rather an alternatrive health and fitness type thing, kind of promoting Australia.

BT

Oso
09-21-2006, 04:46 AM
silly me, didn't think for once it was australia...assumed britian.

Brendan, don't get me wrong about the kicks (I did mean sports wushu)

hell, i can't get off the ground like that and never could.

just seemed a bit of a juxtaposition to what I've been exposed to in my mantis training.

oh, and I certainly didn't pay any attention to the commentator.

mantis108
09-21-2006, 11:18 AM
All,

I can't watch this here at the moment but I guess it's my student Nang's begginers class in Melbourne.

I see. I couldn't figure out when the lady said "state". I didn't realize Australia is unlike Canada (provinces) since we were both once upon a time colonies of Britian. I thought it's rare the "states" (USA) that there would be only 4 people in one state doing Tanglang. :D Now it makes sense.

Regarding the kicks- of course some of these kicks are entirely for training flexibility and explosive power and are therefore not 'directly' applicable (eg Zheng ti tui- straight raising kick). In that this is an elementary group, they are required to train elementary gongfu- including 'childrens gongfu' such as hurricane kicks, single and double flying kicks etc. These kicks are uncommon in TLQ taolu but are good for developing the previously mentioned attributes. When used, they are with single or double step(at the most) take off- hence what you see in this clip appearing to be 'wushu' (I gather you mean: sports wushu). In fact these are generic northern gongfu kicks and have certainly been adopted into the basic training of modern wushu, not the other way around. However poorly they were demonstrated in the clip, there is also a group of kicks amongst these drills that are totally TLQ specific. This clip does not show the entire kicking drill set (yes there are even more!).

Yeah, you are right the clip did show both but more focus on the showy stuff. Well, it's a promotional type of media after all. Nothing wrong with that. I agreed that those "Wushu" esque kicks are more athletic and could help develop attributes great for doing forms. Even my mentor Galen advocate the use of them in training as well. Not my cup of tea but it has its place.

This clip shows only the very stripped down elementary class. Complete sessions usually run a minimum of 2 hours (ideally 3). In this clip there was no (from memory) partnered drills, very little conditioning and minimal zhan zhuang.

I hear you. 3 hours would be better.

The sparringin this clip is begginers entry level open hand sparring. I have to say, and so would Nang- the sparring in this clip is pretty horrible. I shouldn't make excuses for the level of the students (though by saying that I just have, ha ha), I will just say that it was no good. I dont advocate bouncing around for no apparent reason nor limp wristed guards, regardless of the level. Having said that, I think the boy are having a good dig and perhaps one of them has some potential.

Well, young buck tends to bounce. It's almost like a reflex of excitement. It's good to see the youthful exuberance. It would go away as they mature I believe. I think it would be great if they are more relax on the breakfalling when sparring. Sometime you would see them using the hands to keep themselves from falling. It could become a bad habit and could cause silly injuries that hinder their practice. That's the only thing that I would give advice on . other than that it's a working progress and they are a hard working bunch. I think you gave a fair assetment. My hats off to you, sir or may I congratulate you as grandmaster Tunks. ;)

Don't take the ladies commentary too seriously, it's from a lay persons perspective as it was not a martial arts doco but rather an alternatrive health and fitness type thing, kind of promoting Australia.

BT

I think her accent is cute. A good job well done. All the best in promoting Tanglang down under and to the world. Keep up the good work, my friend. :)

Warm regards

Robert

B.Tunks
09-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Oso,

No, you're right. I think if you could watch a whole class you would see far more of the TLQ you are familiar with than what appears in this clip. Fact is, just as you have been taught, feet should be kept close to the ground and root broken as little as possible in fighting. This kind of stuff is purely for physical conditioning, especially good for kids and begginers (and helpful in maintaining certain attributes in all levels of practitioner). Of course it looks less boring so they chose to put it in.

Robert. You are right about the falling. They have no real idea on that (or instantly forget what they have been shown). Eventually I will try to put some short clips of intermediate to senior students fighting (once I can get my head around the technology- almost everything is on vhs).

We have 6 states and 2 territories. Nang is in Victoria, there is no other Qixing there and in fact very little at all besides Taiji Tanglang of CCK line and some Liuhe, WA has CCM Qixing via HK, NSW (Sydney) has Adam Hsu's TLQ (and an individual who trained under Wang Xiuyuan in PRC) and some Chang Quan TLQ via Taiwan, SA has nothing, Tasmania has nothing, same for NT, QLD has mostly Southern TLQ, ACT has us. TLQ is very rare here.

Grandmaster, ha ha. yeah....

bt

Three Harmonies
09-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Hell I would love to move down under, think they would give me a visa to teach kung fu!?!?;) :D
Jake

Oso
09-22-2006, 04:28 AM
Oso,

No, you're right. I think if you could watch a whole class you would see far more of the TLQ you are familiar with than what appears in this clip. Fact is, just as you have been taught, feet should be kept close to the ground and root broken as little as possible in fighting. This kind of stuff is purely for physical conditioning, especially good for kids and begginers (and helpful in maintaining certain attributes in all levels of practitioner). Of course it looks less boring so they chose to put it in.

oh, i'm sure, not that I've really been exposed to a great deal of mantis. this year has been good with Kevin back in the states.

TaichiMantis
09-22-2006, 07:21 AM
Oso,

Nang is in Victoria, there is no other Qixing there and in fact very little at all besides Taiji Tanglang of CCK line bt

I believe that one of Master Li Yen Hoa's students teaches in Australia but I'm not sure where. BT, do you know who, where?

B.Tunks
09-24-2006, 03:56 PM
TCM,

There are some of CCM's descendants in Melbourne and Sydney (though I dont know if they are publicly teaching in Sydney). Personally I haven't met them so I can't really help. I have a suspicion that the person your referring to is in Melbourne (Victoria).

bt

TaichiMantis
09-24-2006, 05:50 PM
TCM,

There are some of CCM's descendants in Melbourne and Sydney (though I dont know if they are publicly teaching in Sydney). Personally I haven't met them so I can't really help. I have a suspicion that the person your referring to is in Melbourne (Victoria).

bt

Ahh,...thanks, just curious:)

El Tejon
09-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Oso, thank you for posting this.:)

Mr. Tunks, thank you for your input and time.

B.Tunks
09-26-2006, 08:17 PM
No worries. You're welcome!

bt

yu shan
09-27-2006, 06:18 AM
I really enjoyed this footage, appreciate you putting this out there. Nice aerials, do these while your young. I`ve taken them out of my kicks but a few remain in some forms.

Brendan, I look forward to your fighting clips and I hear ya about the vhs. Mantid1 is good about this sort of thing maybe he could help.