PDA

View Full Version : New Wah Lum Student

Mantis inCorner
09-21-2006, 04:41 PM
Hello, I train in Wah Lum Mantis kung fu. Ive only been doing it for over a month, but i really like everything about kung fu. I also do lion dance. I was wondering what everyone else thinks of Wah lum compared to other northern mantis styles. I know it is under Jut Sow, but i really cant find much on what the differences are between the different mantis styles

Shaolin Dude
09-21-2006, 10:00 PM
what's your name?

TaichiMantis
09-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Hello, I train in Wah Lum Mantis kung fu. Ive only been doing it for over a month, but i really like everything about kung fu. I also do lion dance. I was wondering what everyone else thinks of Wah lum compared to other northern mantis styles. I know it is under Jut Sow, but i really cant find much on what the differences are between the different mantis styles

Do you know Sammygirl from Dragonslist? She trains Wah Lum in Boston and does lion dance.:p

Corwyn
09-23-2006, 08:41 AM
HI Mantis Corner,

I started Wah Lum about 9 months ago in the Boston area as well.
I like the style, but most importantly I like my Sifu and all the people I've met in the school as well as the other schools.

I think that this is far more important then the style as such unless you have something VERY specific you are trying to get out of it.

I have a background in Shotokan, soccer and mountain climbing so I thought my legs were strong, but the low stances still kick my A** (granted that this is after 3 knee surgeries)

The BIGGEST issue I see about the style - and I think there was a discussion here about it maybe in general - is the low stances and doing them properly.

If you do not listen or push yourself to far too fast you can cause serious injury IMHO.

Corwyn

PS what school?

Donkwoon
09-23-2006, 10:15 AM
You,re near my area (Boston area). What school do you attend?

Shaolin Dude
09-25-2006, 09:26 PM
is he/she scared of us? he's not answering any questions

bungbukuen
09-26-2006, 03:48 AM
I am sure it has nothing to do with you Shaolin Dude

Its a public forum and not everyone is eager to make public thier real name.

There absolutely is no discredit in it either.

Why dont you send them a PM?

yu shan
09-26-2006, 07:01 AM
Looks like the school is in Malden. Teachers name is Mai Du. Your in luck, she is having her Grand Opening this weekend October 1st. Looks like Chan Pui will be there from what her website says. Location 124 Ferry Street. WL grand openings are exciting maybe Shaolin Dude or Corwyn can attend and give us a report. I wouldnt bust the kids chops about reveiling info, maybe he is shy, and I recommend pm`s for this. JMO

Shaolin Dude
09-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Looks like the school is in Malden. Teachers name is Mai Du. Your in luck, she is having her Grand Opening this weekend October 1st. Looks like Chan Pui will be there from what her website says. Location 124 Ferry Street. WL grand openings are exciting maybe Shaolin Dude or Corwyn can attend and give us a report. I wouldnt bust the kids chops about reveiling info, maybe he is shy, and I recommend pm`s for this. JMO

I'll be there. She's a good teacher

Yao Sing
09-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Tell everyone I said hello. Wish I could be there for the event. I never did make it up that way even once.

Plymouth Rocks
09-27-2006, 02:44 PM
I teach sometimes in Boston but baguazhang not tonglong.

Corwyn
09-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Well I'll have to see if I can make it up there. Maybe my Sifu has info on time etc.

C

Shaolin Dude
09-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Well I'll have to see if I can make it up there. Maybe my Sifu has info on time etc.

C

it starts at 12pm

Corwyn
09-28-2006, 04:11 PM
yup, just found the info on her website.

C

yu shan
10-02-2006, 07:24 AM
So how was the Grand Opening in Malden?

Shaolin Dude
10-02-2006, 12:13 PM
I didn't make it.

Mantis inCorner
10-02-2006, 06:19 PM
sorry about being so late, i go to the malden school

Mantis inCorner
10-02-2006, 06:23 PM
the grand opening was great, i did the lion dance, which was cool, but pretty confusing cause the space was so small

Chop Socki
10-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I was there... but so were about 9 million other people. :p Fun times and large quantities of rice were had by all.

Good luck in your new school - I wish Sifu Mai nothing but the very best of success in her fantastic new location.

- CS