PDA

View Full Version : CLF Kid movie connection?

yutyeesam
09-23-2006, 02:50 AM
Does anybody know if any CLF masters were connected with the "Choy Lay Fat Kid" movie?

Here's a trailer for the film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfcF4N_JkFo

This movie is better known as either New Shaolin Boxers or Demon Fist of Kung-Fu.

CLFNole
09-23-2006, 02:09 PM
I know Fu Sheng's wife's (Jenny) uncle helped with this movie or at least helped Fu Sheng. I can't remember his name but I think he was a buk sing player.

mickey
09-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Greetings,

Try contacting the guy, venomchamber, who posted the clip. He may have the movie. All of the Shaw Brother fighting movies that I viewed were up front about who the choreographers were.

mickey

CLFNole
09-23-2006, 07:04 PM
The choreographers listed were Hsieh Hsing and Chen Hsin-I. These are mandarin spellings so I am not sure of the cantonese.

Overall the movie is just okay. It is cool that it is CLF; however the overall story could have been better and more well done. Fu Sheng is one of my favorites but his CLF doesn't look as good as when he plays hung gar.

hskwarrior
09-24-2006, 08:01 AM
I agree with CLFNOLE

about the story could have been better. He is just a kid who feels he has to defend the weak (which was usually women). He was always getting into some kind of fight.

The CLF is good (to me) as nole said, at least it was about CLF.

I have the movie as well, and can get it for those who can't.

although, it's on vcd and not dvd.

frank

yutyeesam
09-24-2006, 10:05 AM
It's interesting seeing Hung Ga folks (in those early movies) doing CLF.

Given the two movies, Choy Lay Fut and Choy Lay Fut Kid, I think Alexander Fu Sheng looks better playing CLF than Cliff Lok. Even though I think CLFNole mentioned that Cliff Lok trained under Lee Koon Hung a little, Fu Sheng is probably just more talented with Kung-Fu in general.

CLFNole
09-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Actually Fu Sheng studied a little privately with Sifu as well. Cliff Lok just got help on the the movie sets.

pablitop
09-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Hey guys!
As far as I know Fu Sheng DID study CLF before becoming an actor. I thing he studied Hung Sing branch... :rolleyes:

In that movie, CLF KID , when he does the form with a partner while being watched by his sifu, he is doing my branc of FutSan CLF

notice 3 characteristic elements

1. he only salutes twice (usually hung sing clf does it 3 times)
2. he does 3 blocks before sow choys
3. when he does the sweep kick he is doing it at knee level, while most branches do it as high as they can..

when i saw this i was really surprised ´cause i´ve never seen ppl do clf this way. I´ve only seen this characteristics in my school (Chan Kowk Wai Fut San CLF)

I think maybe Frank can comment someghing on our CLF (if he does remember...)

in the poster where frank appears, my sifu is there also! he is the guy in black outfit next to Frank´s Sifu!

Greetings from Argentina!!
Pablo

ps.again guys i´m sorry for my english but i´m not using it at all right now...
last time i used it was last year when i used to work for AOL tech support.. :p

hskwarrior
09-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Yeah I Agree, It's More Akin To Fut San Hsk.

Pablitop, Yeah I Remember Your Sifu When We Met In 2001, He Injured His Knee Then.

Dragkin
09-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Outside of CLF Kid and CLF, are there any other movies where CLF plays a role in?

hskwarrior
09-24-2006, 06:07 PM
iN HONG KONG AND CHINA THERE IS A RUNNING TV SERIES ABOUT CHOY LEE FUT, SOMETHING LIKE A SOAP OPERA I HEARD.

I'VE BEEN WAITING TO GET MY HANDS ON ONE OF THEM.

STILL, IF YOU KNOW CLF, YOU WOULD SEE A LOT OF CLF TECHNIQUES IN KUNG FU MOVIES TOO.

PEACE

hskwarrior
09-24-2006, 06:10 PM
i BELIEVE JACKIE CHAN'S "WHO AM I" WITH THE TWO GUYS JACKIE CHAN FIGHTS (ONE WAS ALL HANDS WHILE THE OTHER WAS ALL LEGS)

AND THE ONE WITH GARY SHAMBROOK (THE BUK SING SIFU) AS WELL.

NOT SURE IF ITS THE SAME MOVIE I'M TALKING ABOUT THOUGH.

OH, YEAH, DUEL OF THE 7 TIGERS HAS LEE KOON HUNG IN IT TOO.

shuaichiao
09-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Outside of CLF Kid and CLF, are there any other movies where CLF plays a role in?

Drunken Master 2 aka Legend of the Drunken Master. The fish vendor is a tsai li fo(clf) player.

CLFNole
09-24-2006, 06:42 PM
The Hong Kong TV show is just okay. It is called Rise of a Kung Fu Master and it is about Chan Heung. It is made up story but it does incorporate Lay Yau San and Choy Fook in the story (no GGM). Chan Heung is played for Meng Fai.

Like Frank said CLF can be seen in many movie. "My Young Auntie" has some CLF as does "Shaolin Mantis". None of them were specifically about CLF though.

pablitop
09-25-2006, 07:24 AM
Drunken Master 2 has TAM SAM fighting against Jackie Chan.
While "tam Sam" uses long range strikes like sow choy kaap choy kwa choy, and a lot of charp choys.
Jackie prefers short distance techniques such as elbows knees and some chin na.

Also you can see some CLF in matrix reloaded. The chinese guy, Seraph (Jet Li was asked for this role but he said no), is playing choy lee fut also.
In the game ENTER THE MATRIX, the male character is doing FutSan CLF.

I think that there´s some CLF in South Shaolin Master also.

c ya guys

Pablo

Eddie
09-25-2006, 08:02 AM
who am I had clf people in as background extras :cool: (hint hint - seeing as part of the movie was shot in SA), but I dont think there were CLF in it. One of the guys who faught against JC was a hung ga player - he lives in LA now.

South Shaolin master featured an all champion cast. They were all nan quan players, and some were famous in the Wushu tournament scene

yutyeesam
09-25-2006, 08:58 AM
The movie Knockabout has a tiny bit of CLF in it. It stars Yuen Biao and Leung Kar Yan. They kept saying, "Gwa-Sow-Chuin-Chop" and used it over and over again!

shuaichiao
09-25-2006, 09:29 AM
The tv series Higlander had Adrian Pual doing part of the Siu Mo Fa set in one episode.

iron_silk
09-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Yes it is not accurate to history but I feel it is a really interesting series with awesome plot, character, and kung fu action despite some magical elements. You would enjoy it as a cool story even if you are not interested in CLF.

I think Meng Fei did a excellent job portraying a young man to a mature sifu.

I highly recommend it...but you probably enjoy it more if you know Cantonese cause I don't think it is available (hopely it will be) with subtitles....actually unless it is re-released I think it's going to be hard to find.

Watch it if you can find it.

CLFNole
09-25-2006, 10:35 AM
You are 100% correct it is in cantonese only with no subtitles.

Very difficult to find in the open market. My set needs to be viewed with a HK vcr (PAL) not the standard US type.

iron_silk
09-25-2006, 02:17 PM
I am lucky, since I can listen to cantonese and 10 years ago I could still rent the tv series from a local TVB video rental store...but now... I don't know

TVB is the television station that produced the series...I believe they are or at least were run by the same people as Shaw Movies...and in fact all the costumes and sets were from the Shaw movies.

Try in find a TVB Video store in your Chinatown...I guess that is your best bet

Here is a line of info form a site: The Rise of a Kung Fu Master 南拳蔡李佛 (1988) - Starring: Meng Fei, Paul Chun Pui, Cecilia Wong

Good luck! I personally hope TVB re-release it UNCUT!