PDA

View Full Version : Some hip mobility exercises

_William_
09-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Here are some exercises I picked up, they are pretty decent for warming up the hips. You want to make sure your muscle are already fairly warm to begin with before doing these however, so skipping rope, easy running, or walking lunges or squats should be done prior, especially before the leg swings.

Leg swings:
1)Lie down on your back, with arms perpendicular to your torso. Touch your foot to your opposite hand. Repeat.
2)Lie down on your stomach, and do the same.
3)Stand, holding onto something for support. Swing the leg forward and back, starting with a small range of motion and slow speed, and gradually increasing ROM and speed.
4)Same thing as above except swing the leg side to side.

Crossover lunge: Stand, and cross your right leg behind your left, with the feet seperated maybe 16'' to start. Lunge.

The "T"/standing good morning - With your feet fairly close together, and keeping a good arch in your back, push your hips to the rear. Allow your knees to bend slightly. You should feel a stretch in your hamstrings. Do these for reps. If these are easy, you can do them on one foot too, I find I get a better stretch in the glutes this way.

Lunges for the hip flexors: Lunge forward, and gently rock your hips forward.