PDA

View Full Version : ok. lets be honest with each other

MIKSANSOO
10-22-2001, 09:12 PM
everyone on here has their style of choice. you have chosen this style because it best fits you. now, i would like you to point out something that you don't like about it. for example, like certain types techniques, lack of conditioning, etc.. now don't bash other styles just yours. be humble and you can grow.

so i will start. my style is obviously san soo. and one thing im not fond of is missing attributes of continous fighting. being more mobil. this is not the arts fault but mine i need to push myself and the art i have chosen. ;)

"you can take my life, but not my confidence"
Jimmy H. Woo

Kung Lek
10-22-2001, 09:18 PM
why bash anything mik?

If we are students then we are not masters and therefore do not have the entire scope of the arts we practice.

So, just keep studying and practicing, I'm sure that if you get to a point that you have mastered all that you have been taught then you can move on to learning more about it, or something else entirely if there are what you consider to be gaps in your knowledge.

In the end, there is no such person as the best, they fall eventually, and there is no such arts as the fullest because the fuller it gets, the more likely you will never learn all of it.

be happy with what you have, always consider that your opponent is better than you and practice to your personal best. Be Aware, take nothing for granted and honour your art and your teacher by being the best you can be at the art.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Ralek
10-22-2001, 09:20 PM
I think the one thing wrong with BJJ is that it has destroyed kung fu so many times that all the kung fu fighters are staying home now. Originally there were tons of kung fu guys going to the gracie academy for challenges. They all got beat up and now they all stay home and there's not as many fights to make Gracie jiujitsu in action part 3.

Brazilian jiujitsu is superior.

MIKSANSOO
10-22-2001, 09:30 PM
kung,

i just want to hear everyones faults and what they do to improve them. not their style. what they need to improve of on them. i believe that nothing can really be mastered. just get really good at it. just posting a topic.

relek,
stop it.

Jimmy H. Woo

Kung Lek
10-22-2001, 09:34 PM
mik, those are the ways i approach my faults.

ralek, there's more to the world than what's on TV today.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Johnny Hot Shot
10-22-2001, 09:39 PM
I wish I did'nt have to work so I could just train all day, every day. :D :D

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

Silumkid
10-22-2001, 09:42 PM
I will second Johnny Hot Shot's post! If only I were independently wealthy...

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

Robinf
10-22-2001, 09:53 PM
I'll third that reply.

There is something in my style that I personally lack in practice: plyometrics. This is for TKD. I know, noone here "believes" in jumpkicks, but they serve purposes on many levels in TKD--they're a big part of TKD, but I fail to prepare enough to do them.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Braden
10-22-2001, 10:01 PM
My take on this question wouldn't be, "What don't you like in your style?" but rather, "What elements of your style do you try to focus on, what techniques do you not practice, etc...?" I'm sure we all try to make our styles our own to some extent.

For example, there are many things in bagua which I truly respect, but which I do not train because I don't feel they're for me. My teacher is the same. We both believe in having a personal vision while still working hard at the traditional training methods.

For example, I do not train strikes to the eyes or groin, I do not train fingerstrikes; I prefer techniques that bring me closer and closer to my opponent; I like to step with each technique; I do not like to grab; but I do like to take the outside door, control the opponents arms, and upset his balance while striking; my techniques are tighter than most; I like elbows an awful lot; I like the coiled techniques that bring me into closed postures better than the santi-style techniques; in general I like simple, powerful techniques that set up loose combinations that keep me mobile... from the 8 palms, I like the thunder and fire palm for striking, and the thunder and water palm for yielding; also sometimes heaven and earth palm used loosely for trapping and entering.

MIKSANSOO
10-22-2001, 10:13 PM
thanx for the rewording braden. that makes more sense of what i was trying to get at.

Jimmy H. Woo

Silumkid
10-22-2001, 10:44 PM
Robin,

I believe in jump kicks. I'm not great at them but I dig them...I do think I have a pretty fair tornado kick though, come to think of it. :)

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

Dragon Warrior
10-22-2001, 10:47 PM
jump kicks are awesome.

i landed a jumping, spinning roundhouse kick in the last tournement i was in. I hit the guy so hard in the back i thought he was goign to cry.

another great kick is the jumping sidekick, works well when you distance it right.

For years, religion did nothing but divide. (killa priest)

Religion is like a prison for the seekers of wisdom. (killa priest)

wu_de36
10-22-2001, 10:49 PM
My main art is Tang Soo Do. My biggest problem is lack of exposure to grappling/groundwork. I can use standup principles enough to beat a few judo players, but the more experienced ones tie me up like a pretzel. :)

However, it's not like this should surprise me, since I knew going into it that it wasn't a major focus. It doesn't bother me enough apparently.

:)

Knifefighter
10-22-2001, 10:51 PM
Here's my list:

BJJ- striking sucks; takedowns are mediocre; grappling is not always the best strategy.

Muay Thai- punching is relatively weak; no ground fighting.

Boxing- no low line defenses; bobbing & weaving open to knees and kicks; no ground fighting.

Wrestling- no submissions; no fighting from the back

Stick fighting- too much reliance on the weapon; some unrealistic empty hand techs.

Knife fighting- too easy to go to jail, even in a self-defense situation.

MIKSANSOO
10-22-2001, 10:57 PM
here are one more. many strikes learned are not really effective because of the accuracy that they need in a real life situation.

Jimmy H. Woo

Waidan
10-23-2001, 01:24 AM
Bagua - Only thing I can really point to (npi) are the abundance of finger strikes (piercing palm). Finger strikes aren't a bad thing, per se, but most definitely not my strong suit. I use them in my forms, of course, but when boxing or working out most of those strikes become fists and palms.

San Soo - lack of free sparring (my big complaint), and some of the footwork in the non-Ah Soo techniques seems superfluous.

honorisc
10-23-2001, 02:29 AM
Finger strikes in Pa Kua? It's more than Palms and grabs/guides?

Finger strikes eventually give one the effective striking power of a punch. If you don't continue training fingers you lose inches of reach that with training equates to punches (not ten years Trained punches perhaps but stuff with striking and stopping power).

Bobbing and weaving vulverable to knees? Any bobbing and weaving I comprehended-ish had an angled guard with the head well/safely behind the forearms and between the fists and elbows. This seemed to block any knees.

"In the end, there is no such person as the best, they fall eventually, and there is no such arts as the fullest because the fuller it gets, the more likely you will never learn all of it."

You only need knowmore than the other or know it better...Actually more at understand more/understand better than the other you are facing~.

"My main art is Tang Soo Do. My biggest problem is lack of exposure to grappling/groundwork. I can use standup principles enough to beat a few judo players, but the more experienced ones tie me up like a pretzel."

IfTang Soo Do has elbows to the rear (such as the position of a chambered reverse punch~), then that's part of not staying tangled up. stepping out when punching might help keep you from getting tangled up. When they move on you shorten your stance then set it back to normal. Let your range of striking them be five inches plus or minus the initial target position.use shrt techniques after you miss with the longer ones.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

rogue
10-23-2001, 03:33 AM
ITF TKD - While it does contain stikes and kicking from the ground it lacks ground grappling.
People work too much on kicking and not enough defending against hand attacks.

JKD - Gives a good set of basics in a short time but lacks depth. Students spend too much time on psuedo-philosophy and tend to become technique collectors..

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban who right about now is getting jiggy with his first of 70 virgins.

“Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.” Last words of Todd Beamer heard over his mobile line right before rushing a hijacker.

Braden
10-23-2001, 03:37 AM
Yeah, my teacher can pull off fingerstrikes; it's pretty spooky. All the important fundamentals for fingerstrikes in our bagua are inherent in all of our training, so it's not like I'm neglecting them; I just don't train to actually use them at this point. Maybe in several years I'll be able to, that could be fun. For now, no way. They're good for dotting and long range, but I'm not fond of either strategy, so I don't see that I'm missing much. I never see the need for them when I want to close and control and elbow, which is always.