PDA

View Full Version : I got me some pumpernickel.....

Su Lin
09-26-2006, 07:07 AM
Just thought I would let you all know (in particular The willow sword) that I managed to get hold of some pumpernickel.Didnt have to look far actually! So now Im sat at home, with my cold (I must be a woman as Im not calling it flu!) deciding if I like it or not!
Anyone else like the pumpernickel????

Radhnoti
09-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Is that code for something the filters here won't let you say?

:D

Su Lin
09-26-2006, 07:52 AM
:eek:

Nope, just pumpernickel!

Su Lin
09-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Ps Anyone got a cure for the common cold yet? No training for me this week then
:(

Pork Chop
09-26-2006, 08:23 AM
vitamins, ginger tea, honey, lemon juice, sweat sessions- where you sit in a sauna or wear heavy clothing to sweat it out, hot showers, sleep, lots of fluids...

Su Lin
09-26-2006, 08:26 AM
My teacher swears by ginger tea, may get some (if I can venture out!) mmmm hot toddy!

Pork Chop
09-26-2006, 08:28 AM
yeah i got a lot of left over Salabat- a phillipino ginger tea. mix it with honey and it's awesome.

BoulderDawg
09-26-2006, 08:45 AM
I've never really had the urge to eat any pumpernickel. However the name is fun to say!:D

In any case I never understood the phase; "The cure for the common cold" Doesn't a cold normally go away after several days anyway?

Chief Fox
09-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Here's what I do when I get sick or feel a cold comming on.

I take one whole day off from everything. I buy 1 gallon of orange juice and a couple cans of chicken noodle soup. I also make sure that I have the proper ingredients for a grilled cheese sandwich.

I make it my goal to just lay around all day, watch movies or what ever, drink the entire gallon of OJ, eat a couple cans of soup and have a grilled cheese sandwich. Sleep a lot.

The next day I usually feel a bit better and the cold is gone within a few days.

I find that if I try to stick to my normal routine the cold lasts a lot longer and I'm miserable and grumpy.

Get well, Su.

Su Lin
09-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Well,I decided I dont really like pumpernickel, although my taste buds may be shot due to my cold!
Taking day off tomorrow, to laze around and sleep etc. Also just got some ginger tea and honey. I normally cant shake colds off for ages and they just really annoy me!
Thanks for the advice !:)

Su Lin
09-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Eeeeuuuuugggghhhhhhhh! This ginger tea is rank! It must be good for me then!:(

rogue
09-26-2006, 09:51 AM
I just had me a PB&J on Pump for lunch. Pump is the king of breads.

Su Lin
09-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Whats PB&J ? Whats the best filling for p/nickel???

Pork Chop
09-26-2006, 10:02 AM
pb&j = peanut butter & jelly

i always found turkey to be a good 'nickel filling.

i thought i remembered hearing somewhere that pumpernickle was just the leftovers from other breads thrown into the mixing machine- including stuff that fell on the floor.

is that where this pumpernickel threads are coming from?

coz i've pretty much stayed away from the stuff after hearin that.

David Jamieson
09-26-2006, 11:37 AM
*sighs*

don't believe stuff just cause it's coming outta someones cake hole.

pumpernickle is a rye bread that is made with molasses and hence the dark colour. It is NOT left over crap on the floor. yeesh.

Su Lin
09-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Thought it didn't taste that bad!

The Willow Sword
09-26-2006, 01:29 PM
I cant believe that you went out and actually bought some pumpernickle.:D

i feel honored that you would actually take my pumpernicke comments seriously and try it. Ah so you didnt like it as much eh? Well it is a very pungent dark rye bread(it is an aqquired taste). Here in the states we have a bagel place called "Einsteins Bagelry" and they have the BEST fresh made bagels on the planet, they serve several different flavors of bagel, poppyseed, garlic, green chili, sesame, plain and yes even PUMPERNICKLE(which is one of my favs).

as for the cold, you know what the yiddish say, "what you need to do is FEED a cold":D (im NOT jewish BTW)

ginger tea is very astringent and yes when you drink it from a full root concoction it feels like you are drinking little shards of glass. but the cleansing effects are very good for the throat and the body. We also have these little packets here in the USA called "E-mergen-C" you mix the powder in a cup of cool water and drink it and you get a blast of a 1000mg of vitamin c and whatever supplement is contained within(there are several different kinds of EmergenC packets)
Maybe you could find something like that over there in merry ole england.

the other thing is that sweating is a great way of getting the cold bug out of you. if you are a member of a gym and it has a sauna, sit in there for a while and sweat it out.

Peace,TWS

rogue
09-26-2006, 05:41 PM
If flan was a bread it would be pump!

Hmmmm, a flan on pump sammich could be interesting.

Oso
09-26-2006, 06:22 PM
pumphernickel

hehe, that's why it's fun to say.

pumpernickel requires mustard, a good strong one and horseradish works with it as well. corned beef or turkey are best, and some muenster or swiss.

The Willow Sword
09-26-2006, 06:25 PM
pumpernickel requires mustard, a good strong one and horseradish works well with it as well. corned beef or turkey are best, and some muenster or swiss.

IN the eternal timeless words of Ed McMahon on the Johnny Carson show "YOU ARE CORRECT SIR":cool:
TWS

Oso
09-26-2006, 06:35 PM
i've also grilled up a brat and did mustard and kraut on it...yumm, I'm freaking starving now.

rogue
09-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Ok pump lovers where do you get your favorite fresh pump?

And when you can't get that what's your favorite mass market brand?

Yao Sing
09-26-2006, 07:04 PM
I believe the saying is 'starve a cold, feed a fever' so you want to drink lots of fluids to fill you up.

Also hit the C, E and garlic real hard.

Most peeps like to stay active when the have a cold because as soon as you stop it crashes in on you and you can't get moving again. I usually take a little time out to rest, drink and sweat and I'm back up and running in no time.

Zinc helps too and you know the best source of that right? :D

David Jamieson
09-26-2006, 07:31 PM
the saying is "feed a cold and starve a fever".

you prolly don't wanna eat with a fever anyway, so most times, problem solved. lol

Li Kao
09-26-2006, 10:02 PM
I thought the saying was "it's not the dream, it's the dreamer" ... oops wrong thread.

Regarding pumpernickel, I find it best utilized when I get the occasional hankering for sauerkraut (I grew up eating a lot of homecooked German meals from my grandma) and decide to throw together a Reuben sandwich (which also requires a nice horseradish mustard, corned beef, and swiss cheese -- you were spot on Oso :D ) Dang I'm hungry now ...

Samurai Jack
09-27-2006, 04:07 AM
Her name is Greeeeeeeeeeeeetttchen Pumpernickel...