PDA

View Full Version : Newbie saying hello

Dooley
09-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Hi all, I just joined the forum and would like to introduce myself.

I live in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale Suburb of Pembroke Pines).
I have practiced Judo in my early years, and did pretty good. After long years of working out at the gym, playing basketball and finally, quitting sports in favor of a not-so healthy lifestyle, I made the decision to go back to Martial Arts.

Mainly for improving my health, but also to learn the skills and better my mental health as well.

I just had my first class yesterday, and was impressed at the level of physical activity....I was drained after 50 minutes....could barely hold a pen to sign the sign-in card.

Anyhoo....I'm looking for tips as to what I should look for as I'm starting....as well as home training tips, videos, books etc.

One last thing.....I've seen posts about the right age to start in Kung Fu. Well, I'm 28 years old, and although I'm not hoping to be a world champion, I believe it's never too late to take advantage of it, both for health and skills.

During my first class yesterday, it did cross my mind I should have joined the chess academy instead, but it actually felt good afterwards! <G>

Tks for reading!

Judge Pen
09-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Great to hear! I wish you all the luck in the world. Where did you decide to start training?

PangQuan
09-26-2006, 12:49 PM
your right dooley, its never too late.

your still young man!

good luck in your training and have fun.

Chief Fox
09-26-2006, 02:26 PM
These tips may or may not be relevant based on your chosen art.

1. Stretch
2. Meditate
3. Practice forms
4. Practice stances

Once you get to a point where you can hold the pen at the end of class :D I would add some conditioning and strength training.

So did you start back up in Judo? Or is it something else?

Congrats on making a change and good luck.

Oso
09-26-2006, 07:20 PM
1. Drink Beer
2. Drink dark beer
3. Drink dark beer that has a high alchohol content
4. Train hard.

:D
;)

just had to offset CF to balance things out...

good luck in your endeavor...just remember, when it hurts: smile. :)

Dooley
09-27-2006, 11:16 AM
My bad, I never did mention what I decided to practice!

It's Shaolin Kung Fu. IThe website to the acadmey is blow:
http://www.neeskungfu.com/

2 blocks from my house, and I had never even noticed it was there.
Very good people who are happy I made the decision.

You know....they say motorcycling is a sport, but you won't get in shape by riding!
I cna do 500, 600, even 100 mile days no problem, but I have yet to work on my push ups and kicks! <BG> Oh well, at least I'm in the right path, I think.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. This place seems to be a greta source of information and friendship...which is exactly what I'm looking for.

bodhitree
09-29-2006, 05:30 AM
welcome! This is the place for knowledge (to be shared or gathered). Just sift through it well.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-01-2006, 10:51 PM
1. Drink Beer
2. Drink dark beer
4. Train hard.

this is the best advice you'll ever be given. better write it down.

Blacktiger
10-01-2006, 11:26 PM
1. Drink Beer
2. Drink dark beer
4. Train hard.

:D
;

This is the best advice - you go to China and train and thats exactly how you do it :D

jigahus
10-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi,

Welcome to the board. After a hiatus of inactivity I went into kungfu and in my first 2 classes I became light headed and my body shut down. The thing was I drank beer before I went to those 2 classes. So the beer thing only works for some people? :p

Dooley
10-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Well, I got my fair share of beers over the weekend, so according to you guys, I should be graduating to the Leadership program tonight? <G>

Chief Fox
10-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Whoa! Hold on there!

It's gonna take a lot more beer than just one weekend's worth.

Keep training.

Oso
10-02-2006, 10:56 AM
ah, it takes many years of training before you can drink AND train.

the strong, dark beer is just the best tonic for post workout pains...works better than any OTC pain reliever, hands down.

golden arhat
10-02-2006, 02:24 PM
or does he just play with broadswords while drunk lol ?
yeah i wouldnt say u r young as i'm 15 lol but ut young enough
my advice train WHEN EVER YOU CAN
stretching stances speed strength and sparring
keep moving practice when ever u can even at times when it might seem innapropriate dont stop moving

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-03-2006, 06:44 AM
ah, it takes many years of training before you can drink AND train.

the strong, dark beer is just the best tonic for post workout pains...works better than any OTC pain reliever, hands down.

i ended up squatting with my buddy during my last party. it went suprisingly well .... granted i wasnt slammin them. beer muscles are definatley just that though ... its like i could feel everything firing .. but only firing half assed.

i wouldnt make it a point to drink while training, but i would make it a point to drink, and if youre drinkin you might as well train.