PDA

View Full Version : making up for incomplete diet

gwa sow
09-26-2006, 09:30 PM
while i dont eat unhealthy, i probably dont eat everything that i should. so, i am looking for some supplements etc. for:
greens- i dont eat nearly enough fruits and veggies
breakfast- i am not a morning person and hate to fix a meal in the mornings
multi-vitamin- i figured 1 every other day woudn't be too much
any other things people have used that are highly recomended.
thanks

Li Kao
09-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Hmm nothing wrong with taking multi-vitamins -- it will "cover your bases" on the days where you might not be getting all the right nutrients, but theoretically if you consistently eat a well-balanced diet, you shouldn't really need them. However, since you acknowledge that your diet is somewhat incomplete, then I think it's a good idea. The worst that can happen is that you **** out what your body doesn't absorb.

The breakfast thing is something you should seriously consider changing, as I think it's a often overlooked but necessary meal to start your metabolism going for the day. I'm not a morning person either (though I happen to enjoy cooking) but most people don't realize how easy and quickly you can put together a meal. In reality, waiting in line at a drivethru takes up nearly as much time and is almost always a poorer choice. Skipping breakfast is not smart either -- if you wake up just 15 minutes early each day you can fit it in no problemo.

Here are some quick, healthy breakfast meals that take 10 minutes or less to prepare and consume:

--Scrambled eggs with whole wheat toast -- I usually start the toast and then cook the eggs, eating the toast while the eggs finish cooking. I also drain off all but one of the yolks to lower the fat and cholesterol but that is up to you. You can throw some salsa, cheese, fatfree sour cream, hot sauce, etc. in the mix if you need more flavor. Bottom line is that eggs are the best source of animal protein you can get and cook up fast.

--Instant oatmeal -- I tend to use the plain oatmeal (less sugar) and chop up a banana or throw in some strawberries for flavor. You can also get the lowered-sugar versions now in various flavors like maple sugar, apples and cinammon, etc. You heat up the water using a coffee cup in the microwave and -viola! - another healthy breakfast in a matter of minutes.

--Smoothies-- I eat alot of smoothies, so I keep my blender out on my counter along with some of the supplemental dry ingredients. Here are the basics though: ice, plain yogurt, a scoop of whey protein, a small scoop of fiber, a pinch of flaxseed, and fresh fruit (banana, strawberry, rasberry) for flavoring. I use bananas usually because I love the flavor and it's quick and easy to peel it and toss it in the blender.

Those are my 3 tried-and-true healthy and on-the-run breakfasts that I use 90% of the time. If I'm in a hurry I just rinse off the dishes and leave them in the sink for later or throw them in the dishwasher.

As far as the greens thing -- try to find a green vegetable you like and work it into your meals. There really is no substitute for fruits and vegetables.

Changing your diet can seem overwhelming, and most people think they are going to be losing out in the taste department and don't have time to cook for themselves, but there are ways to plan ahead to make sure you are eating the right foods at the right intervals of time. One thing I do for myself (when I cook, it's generally just for myself as I'm a single guy) is say, grill up 6 or 7 chicken breasts and then put them individually in Tupperware containers in the fridge. That way, each day, I can grab them as needed and just eat with some vegetables or rice for a complete meal. Sometimes I'll make a big batch of chili, or a potroast, or roasted turkey breast and package it up the same way. As long as you switch it up here and there to give yourself some variety, you don't feel like you're punishing yourself by eating the same thing day after day. There are little ways to plan ahead like this that will make it easier on the busy days. I work at a restaurant at night but I still bring my own meals most of the time so I won't be tempted to eat something unhealthy, and it's a cheaper alternative as well.

You might want to consider reading The Abs Diet by David Zinczenko. It's not a dieting Bible or anything, but it has some really good basic nutritional information along with some *easy to make* recipes. David is the editor in chief of Men's Health magazine, so it's geared towards health-conscious guys and is an easy and entertaining read.

Pork Chop
09-27-2006, 07:20 AM
Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness
Odwalla (their green drink)
Naked (their green drink)

I think all can get you your USRDA for fruits n veggies

Chief Fox
09-27-2006, 08:01 AM
This is just my opinion but supplements should not replace actual food.

Get your nutrients from as much real food as you can and then use supplements to fill in the gaps.

Here's a typical day of my diet.

Morning: Oatmeal with rasins, walnuts and some cinamon. 1 fried egg. Glass of OJ.

This keeps me full for a while.

Mid morning I usually have a piece of fruit like an apple or a banana

LUNCH: I have a salad with chicken on it. Or a sandwich. Sometimes I go to Taco Bell and get a Double Decker taco (I love those things).

Afternoon: Maybe another piece of fruit.

Dinner: baked or grilled chicken, rice and some veggies. Maybe another salad.

On weekends I'm sure that at least one meal is fast food. I try to keep it towards the healthy end.

Lately I've been making and effort to eat as many salads as I can. I've noticed a difference in how I feel and I've lost some flabbyness as well.

It's really not that hard. Go with real food and only use supplements to "supplement" not replace your diet.

gwa sow
09-27-2006, 09:42 AM
last few month i startes to change up my diet alot. no more fast food anf no soda. that was the biggest change. i try not to snack on crappy stuff and drink as much H2O as i can. Also cut down on the portions of food that i eat. with that i lost about 15 Lbs over a period of 4 months or so. definately feel better and my Kung Fu has improved a lot. It was pretty easy to do. so now i'm trying to get the right foods to eat, never was a fruit and veggie person. the smoothie thing sound good. never had one. found some v-8 fruit drinks that have a serving of fruit and veggies but think it has a bit to much suger in it. not trying to replace good food, just make up for it when i'm a bit lazy. thank for the help

BoulderDawg
09-27-2006, 12:07 PM
I think I eat fairly healthy. I eat veggies for lunch and dinner and at least two pieces of fruit a day.

I've never really understood the adversion to soda. I drink 4-5 diet Pepsi's a day. I mean hell I'm willing to risk the adverse effects of artifical sweeteners. As far as I'm concerned getting a bit of a sweet treat from a diet sode is much better than from a donut!:D

Pork Chop
09-27-2006, 02:25 PM
I've never really understood the adversion to soda. I drink 4-5 diet Pepsi's a day. I mean hell I'm willing to risk the adverse effects of artifical sweeteners. As far as I'm concerned getting a bit of a sweet treat from a diet sode is much better than from a donut!:D

I'm glad you and I finally agree on something. :D

bodhitree
09-28-2006, 04:38 AM
nothing is great for an incomplete diet like this thread:
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43123