PDA

View Full Version : 36 hands

ironfenix
09-27-2006, 09:02 AM
I have learned about half of 36 hands. This form is freaking brutal so far. I think I have to start hitting the treadmill or something so I can get in shape. It is a sweet set though. Looking at WL I see there are a lot of sweet sets. Which ones are your favorites?

yu shan
09-27-2006, 09:07 AM
I know this set, insanely long! I use to take a nap half way thru... who is teaching you the form?

Israel, does Shifu Art still have a website? I cannot seem to be able to pull it up.

hungsingclf
09-27-2006, 09:47 AM
sissies...:p no joke that is a long set... yu shan, man dont be such a stranger.:)

Yao Sing
09-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Hey stranger, you lost or something? :)

C'mon guys, you're supposed to do 36 Hands 10 times remember?

How about 36 Hands followed by Fifth Form, sound like fun? :D

yu shan
09-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Ok then, check this... 36 hands-5th form-then I do 3rd form with my shirt off! :D

hungsingclf
09-27-2006, 01:25 PM
:eek: followed by buddha palm in your shorts;) and to finish it up... 1st form 20x...

Chop Socki
09-27-2006, 06:23 PM
If you really want to maximize this laid-back work-out you're putting together, be sure to do kwan dao with a combat steel weapon to cool down between forms.

- CS

racerX
09-27-2006, 09:22 PM
lol.....:)

Shaolin Dude
09-27-2006, 10:37 PM
that's a nice form. I can't wait to learn it.

yu shan
09-28-2006, 06:31 AM
Kwan Dao combat steel, that is brutal. I`m teaching that to a young man now, I wonder if he knows what he is getting into.;)

ironfenix
09-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Yu Shan,
It was shangwufarms.com but i think it is down. He is making a new one with a ton of videos and stuff. Actually, Arthur is teaching me 36 hands. There is this one move where he swoops down like a freaking Hawk in a twisted stance, freaking sweeeet. He told me once that back in boston, Master Chan made him to it something like 15 times. After about the 13 range he started hurling and MC goes "HA HA you puky Arthur! You Puky! Again, Again!". Now that I see the set I might do say 1 1/2 before i puke.

israel

yu shan
09-28-2006, 08:40 AM
I have been told by my elders, if you train hard something is going to come up! Every school needs a hurl bucket.

Ok then I look forward to Shifu`s website changes. Can you pm me his email, I`d like to write him.

WL Lok Lo, how many parts are you guys up to now? I only have 1 and 2, missed out on 3.

Citong Shifu
09-28-2006, 08:50 AM
LOL~ Dont forget about the forms Tam Tui & Secret Form... They'll get your heart pumping...

CS

Citong Shifu
09-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Oh, by the way, is Aurthor still a wah lum sifu or is he doing his own thing now?

CS

Chop Socki
09-28-2006, 08:58 AM
WL Lok Lo, how many parts are you guys up to now? I only have 1 and 2, missed out on 3.

Lok Lo #3 isn't taught very often. There's an old tale that Master Chan has said that 'you guys' can't do that form right', theoretically because of the difference in body styles. Just a story though, I never heard him say it directly. Of course, if you've had the opportunity to watch him work, you know there's a lot of things he does that nobody else seems to do quite as well... ;)

- CS

Shaolin Dude
09-28-2006, 10:01 PM
LOL~ Dont forget about the forms Tam Tui & Secret Form... They'll get your heart pumping...

CS

there's a WL form called secret form?

mooyingmantis
09-29-2006, 02:16 AM
there's a WL form called secret form?

Shhhhhh, only the cool kids know it!

racerX
09-29-2006, 06:55 AM
Does anyone here know Lok Low 3&4? If so tell us about it.

yu shan
09-29-2006, 07:30 AM
CS is just pulling our leg, there is no secret form. I do know there are advanced forms that use to be taught that are not being taught anymore. For what reason I have no idea. I have seen old footage of some of these and they are spectacular. I know there is the part #3 for LL, did not know about #4. I`m going to ask a friend to show me #3, I`m just plain curious. LL use to be my show form, I was always asked to perform this set. It is so so, I still like WL #2. Not too many people ever talk about this one.

woliveri
09-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Actually, there are secret forms, secret material. Mimi eluded to such in her magazine article. There's also Soft Form.

I'm currently learning a Bagua form that's nearly the length of 36 hands. Cool...

mantid1
09-29-2006, 11:26 AM
I know a guy who knows a guy who knows Lok lo III.

He says it has some odd footwork in it at the beginning that goes to corner to corner that has a raking punch followed by a long back fist followed by another raking punch. After the last raking punch is a technique that seems like the wl version of lulu. That is just my guess. Mr. Brazier showed me what lulu was in the mainstream mantis styles when I visited him. I could have gotten it all wrong so dont take my word for it. My friend said that there are two of these "lulu" type of moves in this set.

It has a nice arm lock that is very similar to one of the arm locks in the second road of the 7* bung bo.

There is a couple of nice elbows in there with a few strikes the the eyes with he vertical spear hand.

And then there is the standard arm bar off off of a hgp (lt hand grabbing their lt wrist rt hand locking their lt elbow) and continue the pull into a rt low side kick to the outside of their lt knee and you would follow this with a rt backfist the the temple while still holding thier lt arm with your lt andyou raise your rt knee up for a knee strike. Immediatly after that you pull thier lt arm in as you step down to a rt side horse and execute a rt vertical punch to the ribs, then make a little distance and lt vertical punch to face and using rotational power rotate back to side horse for another rt vertical puch to he ribs. End of combo. That is just my friends take on it. Could be anything.

Then there are some nice kicking combos attacking the lower legs that wl likes to use.

Sounds like a standard wl form. Longfist form with some heavy mantis influence.

It doesnt sound like its pretty, but it seems to have some nice fighing techniques in it.

Have a good day

Yao Sing
09-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Lok Low #4 was taught at a Sifu only seminar and I wasn't a sifu then so I missed it. I've seen and it looks like it has some good moves/combos. I wouldn't mind learning it.

WL lulu is found in Second Form, Lok Low and Xiao Fan Che (or at least variations of it).

I think some stuff doesn't get taught because nobody does the standard stuff right so why bother teaching the hard stuff. We're all a bunch of uncoordinated goobers to MC.

Yao Sing
09-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Oh, by the way, is Aurthor still a wah lum sifu or is he doing his own thing now?

CS

Art has been out of the Wah Lum organization for quite a few years now.

racerX
09-30-2006, 05:39 AM
thank you,mantid 1
i just dont like to learn half of a form,l like these sets,but drives me crazy knowing there is still more to it.

Yao Sing
09-30-2006, 06:30 AM
How do you know you ever learned a complete set? All the forms you know could all be halves or incomplete.

Chop Socki
09-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Good point.

While it's nice to have 'complete' forms, at least to the extent that you don't just go for a bit, then stand up straight and walk away, if you keep in mind that a form is a series of techniques intended to simulate various types of fighting techniques against one or more opponents and not a novel or a play that necessarily has a story to tell, it doesn't seem as important to 'know how the story ends'. ;)

Practice! Practice!

- CS

mooyingmantis
09-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Only 36 Hands???
Bah!!!
My wife said when we were dating I was ALL hands! :cool:
Or was that all thumbs! :eek:

yu shan
10-02-2006, 07:22 AM
Mooying, you crack me up bro. All hands but you are still married, good boy.

WLers, does anyone know the set "little buddha palm"? I did not learn big buddha palm, but was in the right place at the right time and got thrown in with some of the big boys and learned this LBP. Only because Chan was teaching Lok Lo and I already knew 1 and 2. So me and Terry Bryant got to pick this buddha palm set up, but I never hear anyone speak of it.

Yao Sing
10-02-2006, 12:50 PM
I think we discussed this once before. You learned it at the Palm Island seminar. I was thinking it was just a shortened version of BP but Terry told me the moves were a bit different than the curriculum BP. I don't think he remembers it though.

I didn't learn it that day (I was in the Lok Low group) but I did learn it at a seminar years later but it wasn't the whole set. A couple of us learned the rest a few days later.

Have you checked with any of the other guys there that day? I have a photo I can look at to see who was there.