PDA

View Full Version : Is a good practitioner a good fighters?

Fang Of Cobra
09-27-2006, 11:06 AM
What do you consider yourself?

A Wing Chun fighter or a Wing Chun practitioner

Is there a difference?

Is a good practitioner a good fighters?

Does being competent at the forms, Chi Sau (and appreciate it is a drill) validate you as a skilled fighter?

And when do we deem an individual a good ‘fighter’ is there a transition point from practitioner to fighter.

Would you wish to be described as a fighter or a practitioner and why?

sihing
09-27-2006, 02:12 PM

Is there a difference?

Does being competent at the forms, Chi Sau (and appreciate it is a drill) validate you as a skilled fighter?

And when do we deem an individual a good ‘fighter’ is there a transition point from practitioner to fighter.

I consider myself a human being man...:D

(now if you can tell me where that quote came from you win $100..)

First we have to have a common definition of a "Good Practitioner". And who is the one setting the standard, you, me, Pres. Bush? Also, when fighting, if someone is not using so called strict WC technique, then is that considered "Not applicable"? Also who is going to judge that he or she is not USING so called WC technique??

It can get pretty complicated eh...

How about, you not worrying about all the BS and go and train...Sounds good to me, see ya. :cool:

James

Jansingsang
09-27-2006, 03:03 PM
yo james that's from the Bruce lee interview my man weres's my dough ?
i consider myself a fighter / Practitioner". cause i apply my vingtsun in a very practical manner the latter i also do with coviction,to sum it all up iam a alrounder Son!:D

sihing
09-27-2006, 08:38 PM
yo james that's from the Bruce lee interview my man weres's my dough ?
i consider myself a fighter / Practitioner". cause i apply my vingtsun in a very practical manner the latter i also do with coviction,to sum it all up iam a alrounder Son!:D

Send your address and $10 for shipping and handling and that $100 gift prize of dog food will be on it's way to your door step within 6 to 8 weeks....:eek:

I consider myself more teacher than anything, with the byproduct of some fighting skill. Do I need to prove it, NO. Do I want to prove it, not really. Will it work when I need it? No one know's, just gotta do what you gotta do, when the time is right..

J

toddwc
09-27-2006, 11:05 PM
-I consider my self a student of the art wanting to better myself as best as my abilities can take me

-I am a practioner training to get my opportunity for sure!
-Is there a difference?
I think that all depends on the person some train for physical activity while others strive for more
-Is a good practioner a good fighter?
welll that depends on what that persons goal s are, but some training is better than none :)

-And when do we deem an individual a good ‘fighter’ is there a transition point from practitioner to fighter.

That once again all depends on what the person' s goals maybe But!
Thats the great part about martial arts today. We actually have Venue's to dispaly and showcase our hard work in the gym! No longer do people have to fight behind closed doors and not get payed or recognition :) You think your good and got the stuff well theres plenty of people in the world today that think the same thing as well, so you just gotta get out there and showcase what you got:D

Is there a difference?

KenWingJitsu
09-28-2006, 05:27 AM

Is there a difference?Unfortunately in the wing chun world there is. In reality there shouldn't be. Ever heard of a boxing "practitioner" who isnt a fighter?

Is a good practitioner a good fighters?In the wing chun world? Usually not.

Does being competent at the forms, Chi Sau (and appreciate it is a drill) validate you as a skilled fighter?Absolutely not.

And when do we deem an individual a good ‘fighter’ is there a transition point from practitioner to fighter.A good fighter is a good fighter, period. No regard for "practitioning".

Would you wish to be described as a fighter or a practitioner and why?I think that's obvious. Having been paid to fight, and seeing how most practitioners are fat, geeky, theorists.....take a wild guess.

Peace out.

Kapten Klutz
09-28-2006, 06:27 AM
Ever heard of a boxing "practitioner" who isnt a fighter?

Actually yeah. Lot of people at boxing clubs who are mostly in it for the workout and friendly/fun sparring.

Back to the original question, I'm a civilian. As much as possible I leave the fighting to the pros, like the army, navy, police, security guards and competitive martial artists. So I'd call myself a practitioner, who practices fighting, but hopes never to have to try out my (still very meagre) skills in a sharp situation. Sparring is enough for me. But if someone attacks me, my loved ones or an innocent person in my vicinity I hope my training will give me a better chance to come out alive or protect those around me.

Ultimatewingchun
09-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Hey Dhira (KWJ)...glad to see you back on the forum.

Wu-Tan-Nan
09-30-2006, 04:01 PM
No.
But a good Kung Fu'er should be good at both.

sunfist
10-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Wing Chun is a tool. A good practitioner is someone adept at the creation of such a tool, a good fighter is someone adept at its use.

Fajing
10-01-2006, 11:46 AM
seeing how most practitioners are fat, geeky, theorists.....

Peace out.

HAAAAAAAAAAA....AMEN to that. Far too many of these guys in the states anyway.
:p

Amp
10-01-2006, 05:41 PM
I think that's obvious. Having been paid to fight, and seeing how most practitioners are fat, geeky, theorists.....take a wild guess.

Peace out.

I strongly disagree w/ the assumption that you can't be considered a 'good fighter' unless you have been paid to fight.

Some of the best fighters I've ever seen have never fought professionally.

tjwingchun
10-02-2006, 04:57 AM

Is there a difference?

This is where we get into the confusing, never ending, always disagreeing, impossible to conclude world of SEMANTICS!

I see myself as WING CHUN, my definition of Wing Chun is "The understanding of personal body mechanics related to violent confrontation".

Do I practice Wing Chun? Yes! Do I consider myself a 'practitioner? Yes!

Have I used Wing Chun in a fight? Yes! Do I consider myself to be a fighter? No!

Yes there is definitely a difference between a fighter and a practitioner.

The better you are at Wing Chun means that you should be better able to avoid 'fighting', by recognising situations earlier, reading the build up of a confrontation and pre-empting the start of actual physical violence.

If your confidence in your ability to deal with a situation leads you to "hit them before they hit me!" then you can be drawn into a fight a split second before your opponent was about to back down or the situation cool. Sometimes this 'waiting to cool' period is not available and you just have to react and although by 'waiting' you are giving the fight a chance not to happen you also tend to make it more dangerous for yourself by the distance between you and your antagonist getting closer as the verbal/psychological part of the confrontation tends toward the "IN YOUR FACE" phase.

Is a good practitioner a good fighter?

Not necessarily, a good practitioner will have better fighting capabilities than they would have without their Wing Chun, but it will not change their personality, this is where we get caught up again about "what is a good fighter?", competition or street? and where most are in agreement that the individual mentality of a person is one of the most deciding factors of how they react in a fight.

As above no!, the more you train and the more competant you become the better equiped you become in dealing with violent confrontations but it is no guarantee.

Again I have touched on this point before a few times, it is how we define what is a 'good fighter', it is my opinion that if you train sparring all the time and become good at being a 'sparring fighter' you will be more easily drawn into a 'street fight' as you are comfortable 'fighting', however it is also my opinion that 'street' confrontations are not the comfortable, monitored, one on one situations that you get sparring, real 'fights' often involve multiple aggressors and the possibility of weapons.

There are many times when a 'good fighter' has lost because of many varying factors unrelated to their abilities. I don't think there is a transition either, both attributes develop continuously and simultaneously.

I would like to be described as WING CHUN, someone who practices but only fights in necessity, because I understand the violence I am capable of and prefer not to impart physically my knowledge on others if I can avoid it.

AmanuJRY
10-02-2006, 06:40 AM
I strongly disagree w/ the assumption that you can't be considered a 'good fighter' unless you have been paid to fight.

Some of the best fighters I've ever seen have never fought professionally.

He didn't say that.

He only mentioned that he was paid to fight, not that that was the criteria for determining the fighting skill of an individual.;)

KenWingJitsu
10-02-2006, 02:37 PM
AmanuJRY, exactly, thanx for correctly pointing that out.

Thank you Victor.

lawrenceofidaho
11-20-2006, 07:30 PM
In my opinion, fighter = someone who regularly challenges themselves outside of the confines of a drill (such as chi-sau or patterned exercises), against [relatively] hard contact and skilled resistance.

Fighters are not intimidated to get in the ring or on the mat with other fighters for "friendly" sparring. In other words, a real Wing Chun "fighter" would not hesitate to glove up and spar MMA rules with a; Golden Gloves Boxer, a MT Kickboxer, a JJ Purple belt, a Judo Brown belt, in order to learn and improve what he is doing.

Only "egos" trying to preserve an illusion of infallibility will avoid the potential learning experiences of sparring with skilled fighters of other arts.