PDA

View Full Version : Flying Crane Qigong

samurai
08-02-2001, 05:40 PM
Anyone practice a Qigong set called FLYING CRANE?

Any success or failure stories with this set?

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

GLW
08-02-2001, 06:55 PM
Are you referring to Dayan Gong or Dayan Qi Gong....

samurai
08-02-2001, 11:09 PM
Honestly I do not know...
I heard the set referred to as FLYING CRANE QIGONG.

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

SBonzak
08-03-2001, 01:22 AM
I've practiced Soaring Crane Qigong (Hexiangzhuang Qigong) for the past 6 yrs or so. I find it to be very effective at, as my instructor says, making the body feel "very soft." I do not find it directly applicable to the baguazhang I practice in the movements it makes, but more so in the way it trains you to think about and do qigong. I especially like the "Spontaneous Qigong." Have you practiced that much?

-Steve

BAI HE
08-03-2001, 01:25 AM
I found a small cheap book on Crane Chi Kung called "Chinese Crane Chi Kung for life extension".
It's put out by:

Medea Enterprises, Co. Inc.
Republic of China

Distributed by:

McLisa enterprises
p.o. Box 1755
Honolulu, Hawaii, 96806.

It's actually a cool little book, if you can find it. Itt doesn't state who wrote it, just who translated it and edited it.
It was printed in Taiwan in 1987.

Retail: $9.98 US.

Crimson Phoenix
08-05-2001, 11:35 AM
Have you checked Yang Jwing Ming's book about white crane qigong? i think the soft qigong in it is called flying crane gong...
Give it a try, who knows?

count
08-05-2001, 04:24 PM
First of all, welcome to the forums. Can you describe this method of baguazhang Chi Kung? Also, can you share your teachers name in Chicago, I grew up there.â‰*

Count

Kabooom.com (http://kabooom.com)

Chi Kung International (http://chikungintl.com)

samurai
08-05-2001, 05:49 PM
Thank you for your replies....

I do have Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming's book of Shaolin White Crane. I have not practiced any of the two Qigong sets in the book.

I picked up a book called "The Longevity Handbook: Flying Crane Kung" by Keng Yun Sheng and Sheng Kung Yun. The book has not come in yet, but I hope to find more information in it.
Thanks Again,
Jeremy Bays

SBonzak
08-08-2001, 01:00 AM
First, I studied in Chicago under two people. The first was Huang something or another...the guy that wrote the qigong book "Change the Picture." He taught a lot of forms, but could not show any applications for the forms that satisfied me. I only stayed with him for a short time. I then trained with a guy named Tony Roberts...he runs a clandestine school from the basement of his apartment building for free, but in order to start you need to know someone in the group. He's a very secretive person, but very open about his art. He trained with "George" Hu, Ling who is now in TX I think. Anyway, Tony is very skillful at applying bagua qinna, but does little striking, no qigong, and has a very limited teaching method (basically...I show you the technique, then you do it). He has all the skill and knowledge of bagua, but I'm afraid my learning plateaued with him, which is why I sought out Park Bok-Nam, with whom I currently study.

Park's baguazhang qigong flows from the principles he teaches at every seminar. There are two branches of his qigong - health and martial power- and they both compliment each other nicely (which is part of the reason I dont do much Soaring Crane Qigong anymore). The qigong for health focuses on three things - creating more energy if you need it, learning how to circulate the qi to the places in your body that need it, and then calming the mind so you dont squander what you've created. In light of this, he teaches breathing exercises, gentle movement, and meditation. The gentle movements tend to be from the drills and forms, done in a very specific way (circle walking, fanzhang, moving stances, etc). You can read about the breathing and meditation in his two books, which although is not everything he teaches, is certainly a good start.

The martial power qigong focuses on three things as well - whipping body mechanics + power breathing + concentration. The dragon back exercise is the main thing here, which when perfected in horse stance, is then applied to many different variations of footwork, body movement, and hand positions. It's all designed to maximize the power output to the palms for striking from any possible angle. Again, I'm sure you've heard or seen this in his books, but it helps me to articulate it to you as that helps me learn.

I hope this helps. If you ave any more questions, I'd be happy to talk some more.

-Steve

count
08-08-2001, 04:33 AM
Parks stuff Huh? Isn't it tuff to study at a long distance? I know Choi's bagua is pretty excellent in Chicago. Maybe you could explain what dragon back actually is? I always envisioned it as a kind of vertical bowing of the spine you see in bagua. I have heard some of Parks students talk about dragon back but I have never gotten a good explaination. I actually haven't seen any videos of Park but I have seen some of his articles along the way. The chi kung stuff sounds pretty good. In ours we also have levels for gathering, directing and dynamic. In your chi kung are there any specific sounds in the practice? Tell me more :)

Count

Kabooom.com (http://kabooom.com)

Chi Kung International (http://chikungintl.com)

SBonzak
08-09-2001, 12:53 AM
I have not found it that tough to study long-distance with Park....probably for two reasons. First, I believe Tony gave me a really good foundation in the strategies and flow of bagua fighting, so I can see things in drills and techniques that others might not be able to- so I do not need someone showing that to me all the time, which beginners absolutely need to see. Second, I really wanted to learn the striking component of the art and Park has broken it down very well (so that you can learn it through individual practice). And he continues to give me *way more* than I could ever hope to make reflex. I get corrections from him about three times/year and have found that I need that much time to practice the stuff he gives me and really internalize it. Actually, this is how he teaches in his school in Richmond. There are no classes like you and I have seen in other schools. It is all individual work, with Park teaching you one or two things and then letting you practice it for a long time until it becomes reflex. You see, that is the key...making things reflex. You need that so that you can "just go" as Park likes to say. And once you have mastered a drill somewhat, he gives you a more complicated version of that drill, or adds something new into it.

As for the dragon back, it is only part of the power exercises in his system. First you practice it separately to condition the spine so that the back can become active in the striking process. The you add in the shaking palm so that you have two axes of rotation- horizontal and vertical- to make the power more complete in whole body usage. Then you absolutely have to practice that in the single palm and double palm strike drills (see his books for that) in order to condition the kua muscles to be flexible and to bring the legs into the strike. As for Choi, I have talked to one of his students and their training seems to produce the same result, just that Park has a more explicit system for getting there.

As for qigong sounds for health, I do not know of any in his system yet. That does not mean they do not exist, however, since I do not know all of his qigong by any stretch of the imagination. We do grunt as part of the power breathing (martial qigong), but I'm not sure you count that as a sound. It is used to force the dantien to contract during the strike, sending the qi to the palm.

Hope this answers your questions. Like I said before, when I talk to people about this stuff it forces me to reflect on what I have learned and improves my own understanding....so if you have anymore questions, I'd be happy to keep talking.

-Steve

mawali
10-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Dayan qigong (Flying Crane) of the teacher Yang Meijin is differnt from Soaring Crane (Hexiangzhuang) of Zhao Jinxiang. Teacher Huang actually taught Xuan Ming Dao qigong which incorporates many of Hexiangzhuang's postures but he 'segmentizes' it into a unique form different from Hexiangzhiang.