PDA

View Full Version : preferable size of a class

BruceSteveRoy
09-29-2006, 12:03 PM
curious what you all think. what do you think the perfect (or at least preferable) number of student is for a class. There are definately benefits to both small and large classes. small classes obviously more one on one attention more time directly with the instructor, etc. large classes offer a wider variety of training partners. so if you had to put a number out there what would it be?

Pork Chop
09-29-2006, 12:05 PM
5 to 10 students per instructor... and even that's keepin the instructor on his toes...

Su Lin
09-29-2006, 12:39 PM
The largest we had was about 20 which was unusual and difficult! There is a core of about 15 of us spread over 2 venues, which seems good for just the one instructor. Too many more and it gets tricky for him to teach things or keep an eye on us all! It can also mean restriction on room, which is baaaad!
There are the odd students who turn up once and dont bother again cause it looks too hard!That and I scare them off with my evil eye...

BruceSteveRoy
09-29-2006, 12:44 PM
There are the odd students who turn up once and dont bother again cause it looks too hard!That and I scare them off with my evil eye...

you only have one eye? thats awesome that it's evil. i guess you lucked out.

Su Lin
09-29-2006, 12:47 PM
eyes.........

David Jamieson
09-29-2006, 01:16 PM
the correct answer is 42.

Su Lin
09-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Lol David !:p

5Animals1Path
09-29-2006, 03:49 PM
I like 3 2's.

2 senior students. 2 experienced students. 2 beginners. Everyone can learn something, everyone has a partner on their level, and there's enough people to work 2 multiple attacker drills.

The Willow Sword
09-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Love the doug adams quote;) . I say if you are enthusiastic about teaching and can handle actually being IN there with your students and not be above them. then i say a good 30-35 people is a great # for a class.

TWS

ngokfei
09-29-2006, 08:03 PM
For Novices learning anything 5-10 is stretching it.

Beginners learning 10-20.

But if your running a class on drills, line basics, sparring, etc. Then it is expected that they know the material and are just training it. Well then you could ina ll honesty observe 50 students while still calling out simple corrections.

Oso
09-30-2006, 04:37 AM
i prefer at least 10 but less than 20. there is generally a good 'heterodyning' dynamic that will happen in that range that doesn't generally kick in for less than 10 and gets muted at over 20.

TenTigers
09-30-2006, 05:55 AM
whether it is line drills or not, you cannot teach with any quality, large groups with one instructor. There needs to be hands on correction and coaching, to make adjustments in structure, alignment, etc. Standing in front of a large class is more posing than anything else. The guy in front looks great, and the guys in the back row are flopping around like flounders, and nobody notices.
If however, you assign assistant coaches, proctors, to either walk among the ranks, or create a 5:1 ratio, you will be able to teach quality Martial Arts in larger numbers. In real Kung-Fu, there needs to be hands on, in order to transmit directly the feel of each technique. Otherwise it is simply Tae-Bo.
The advantage of a larger class, say 15-20 students, and possibly more is a group energy that feeds off itself. There is no greater feeling than teaching or trainng in a group where the room is buzzing with energy.

David Jamieson
09-30-2006, 06:23 AM
The class size really shouldn't matter if you have a method of instruction and facilities to accomodate.

The real problem is attention *****s who suck up all the teachers time and take away from others learning. Whiners, complainers and general little *****es who steal time from everyone else because they are too self absorbed to see beyond their hand in front of them.

Mind you, teachers should recognize these behaviours and have those types off the floor as soon as possible, with continuation of such behaviour , booting from the class and school altogether is the best way to go until the disruptive ones start to understand the basics of interacting in groups and with others.

Lama Pai Sifu
09-30-2006, 07:34 AM
50 is the magic number. Something to be said about training in a large group. Plus, the more people I train, the higher the chances that I'll get and develop some good students.

ngokfei
09-30-2006, 08:41 AM
So who here has actually taught a large class (lets say 50+ students) (if you have that many students;) )

Most schools I've seen can only fit perhaps 25-30 students on their floor (and most times its no where near full).

I've taught large groups of children and adults so I'm going on actual experience.

Properly training Teachers can handle any situation by knowing their limitations.

Baji
09-30-2006, 08:41 AM
We have at my school about 2-8 people every week. It different every week and I love when theres not many people there because you can work more with the teacher and get more down as far as learning forms and weapons.

Lama Pai Sifu
09-30-2006, 08:58 PM
I've taught in upwards of 110 people in a kickboxing class, although not in my facilities, but for a year or so in a local gym, 2X per week. My schools have had kid classes over 50 many times (average large class now is about 35) and our adults have been in the 30's for many years.

I prefer to teach larger groups. It also forces you to develop a teaching style and curriclum which can be taught to the masses. Hey, anyone can teach 4 people, try to teach 40 and find out how good of a teacher and communicator you really are.