PDA

View Full Version : Combined 48 Form?

jade_lotus
07-05-2001, 09:16 PM
Can anyone point me in the direction of some source material on the Combined 48 tai chi form? As I understand it, it's relatively new and combines elements of all 5 main styles. As a result I can't find any books, articles, anything on it... only thing I come across is Yang style.

Just added tai chi to my training routine 5 months ago, and I'd like to have a "reminder" when I'm practicing at home.

The best way to win a fight is not to be there in the first place.

GLW
07-05-2001, 11:18 PM
Actually, 48 is almost as old as the 24 Posture routine. It was created back around 1960 or so...It takes the basics of 24 as the glue that holds it all together and then adds sections from Yang, Chen, Sun, and Wu styles.

It is a very interesting and well constructed routine. Takes around 8 to 9 minutes to do it the correct speed. The challenge is to evoke the spirits of each style while making it all stay seamless.

There are a number of books by the China Sports Commission on the 48 Posture routine. Try China books out of San Francisco ... I have one or two books on it and they were both under $20 ...Can't lay my hands on them right now since we just did some home remodelling and I can't find half of my library for all of the boxes.

All in all, I think that 48 is a better routine than the International Competition routine (42 Posture)...but they didn't ask me my opnion..:)

jade_lotus
07-06-2001, 09:25 AM
Appreciate the info, GLW! Most people I talk to say the advantage to the 48 form is that it's balanced; everything done on one side is also done on the other.

I'll check out the source you mentioned and see what I can find!

The best way to win a fight is not to be there in the first place.