PDA

View Full Version : Who has read the "Inner Structure of Taiji" by Mantak Chia?

Fu-Pow
07-16-2001, 11:16 PM
Well? Whaddya think? Any good? Is is consistent with the principles that you've learned in class? Would you recommend this book to someone else? Comments, criticisms?

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

Al S.
07-18-2001, 07:06 PM
Greetings, Fu-Pow -

I recently read this book and thought it was excellent.

I've never studied with Mantak Chia or read any of his other work before. But I was knocked out by this book. It summarizes everything I've learned (and in many cases am still working on) over the past 17 years of training with Tai Chi instructors and masters from other lineages.

He's put together in one book bits and pieces that it took me years to collect from many different teachers. It's the kind of book I had hoped to write some day when I had more experience. It's great to have it all in one place and he does a good job of fitting it all together.

The book's a bit light on martial applications (only 7 pages), but since this is a "Level 1" book, maybe there will be a follow-up book with more info. It's also a bit heavy on "advertising" his system, but hey, it's his book.

There's lots of good information on structure, rooting, joint rotation, and other internals. And the chapter on tendon activation I could have used last summer - I was working on that at a teacher's training camp.

I would think that the principles in the book apply to most Tai Chi styles.

Thanks,
Al

Al S.
CloudWater Tai Chi (http://www.cloudwater.com)

Sho Pi
07-19-2001, 04:52 AM
Hey,

this book is one of the best. I borrowed it years ago and read it and really liked it. I stumbled upon it a couple of weeks ago in an out of the way store and am re-reading it. It has great rooting descriptions, great diagrams, great breathing explainations.

I would agree that he is a little high on his own style but oh well... I take that area with a grain of salt and pull what I can.

Sho Pi

unclaimed effort
07-20-2001, 06:33 AM
I haven't heard much about Mantak Chia, what's his deal?(Lineage, style, experience,...)