PDA

View Full Version : OT Computer PCI/desk top question.

Royal Dragon
10-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Hello all,
In the comming weeks, will be getting a Laptop with a Wireless broad band connection so I can watch my Futures/commodities charts while on the road in the car.

I have Comcast at home on my desktop now, but it's not portable.

Since I ONLY need the laptop for mobile chart watching, i would like to keep the desktop at home connected to the internet as it will be where my primary surfing will be done.

however, Comcast is like 50+ a month, and so is Broadband wirelss for a laptop.

is there someway to make the broadband wirless for the laptop work on the home computer?

I was thinking there must be some sort of min PCI slot that can plug into a desktop's USB port, so all I have to do is pull the wireless card from the laptop, and plug it into my desktop to have internet for it. That way I donot have to pay for TWO internet services, when I really only need one.

I have done some google searching, but all i can find is laptop only stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas here?

I'd hate to pay for two services when i don't need to.

MasterKiller
10-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Get a wireless router. You can plug one hardline cable into it (the desktop) and still use the laptop to receive the wireless signal.

That how I have my setup at home (DSL).

Or just get a cellphone with internet access.

Royal Dragon
10-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Get a wireless router. You can plug one hardline cable into it (the desktop) and still use the laptop to receive the wireless signal.

Reply]
Will that work if I take my laptop in my car and travel accross town?

Yao Sing
10-04-2006, 10:38 PM
What you need is a PC Card (PCMCIA) adapter for your desktop so you can swap your wireless card between the laptop and desktop.

adapter (http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/adapter/pci.php)

Royal Dragon
10-04-2006, 11:30 PM
YES!!

That is exactly what I need!!

I think this is the one too!

Thanks!!

http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/adapter/p424.php

David Jamieson
10-05-2006, 06:25 AM
unless you are travelling through an open wireless node that you are allowed access to your laptop won't be able to connect.

at home, your wireless router has limited signal distance, once you move far enough away from the router, your signal drops.

Royal Dragon
10-05-2006, 07:07 AM
I am looking for a Wireless broadband card that functions like a hgh speed cell phone for my Laptop, so I can connect anywhere there is cell service.

I had a dail up version of this when i worked in the field as an appraiser a few years ago, and it was the bomb!!

I used to write damage appraisals on cars, and upload the pics and estimate while i drove to the next one.

I'd often see my assignment, just take pictures and notes, and go to the park to enjoy the weather while I wrote my estimate under a tree, and E-mail women at the same time.

I hear they now have broad band cards for laptops now, but it costs like $60.00 a month. I can't afford that, AND Comcast for the house at the same time, so i want to get a PCI card that plugs into my PC at home, and just use the Wireless card for both.

Chief Fox
10-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Or just get a cellphone with internet access.
This is probably the simplest/best answer.

Royal Dragon
10-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Yes, but a cell phone with internet access is no faster than dail up.....granted it's only 20 a month on my T-Mobile, but how can I go from Broadband, back to dial up speeds?

if I can get a wireless broadband card for my laptop, and make it also work on my PC at home, i'd rather do that. The cost per month is the same as i pay now for Comcast, and it's upposedly almost as fast.