PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Kung Fu Weapons

The Xia
10-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Post your favorite Kung Fu weapon(s) and why.

SPJ
10-05-2006, 10:02 PM
my favorite has always been the short to medium staff or tiger tail whip. Hu Wei Bian.

either single hand or both hands/double whip.

why:

1. there are some methods may be generalized to sword or other hand held weapon.

2. you won't cut or stab yourself by accident. :D

:)

Shaolin Dude
10-05-2006, 10:11 PM
I like the staff. It's very versatile and basic

PangQuan
10-06-2006, 12:21 AM
do my palms count?

SanSoo Student
10-06-2006, 01:23 AM
The weapon I am most comfortable with, staff

Favorite weapon that I will eventually master:

Three Sectional Staff

BruceSteveRoy
10-06-2006, 05:13 AM
Favorite to watch is either double whip chain, or double straight swords.

favorite to use is either staff or broadsword. most basic and very versatile.

BruceSteveRoy
10-06-2006, 05:15 AM
o wait i just thought of something i like more than those weapons i mentioned earlier. Guan dao.

golden arhat
10-06-2006, 08:05 AM
the jian can stab and slash and its fast and distracting with its tassel
plus its just god **** cool

Oso
10-06-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm with SanSoo Student...give me a staff if I have to really do some work but I just think the three sectional is pretty **** cool. I had one a long while back but no one to teach me...I've still got Kam Yuen's book I bought...well, decades ago :o

mantis108
10-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Chinese 2 sectional staff AKA Nunchuku. ;)

Mantis108

Royal Dragon
10-06-2006, 02:41 PM
I am partial to the Broadsword myself. It has a nice hackibility feel to it!

I too want to learn the three sectional staff. I sort of have to someday, it was created by the founder of my style!

shuaichiao
10-06-2006, 04:13 PM
I like the flexible stuff! 3 section, chain whip, rope dart and meteor hammer. Not the most practical but definitely the most fun. If I had to pick an absolute favorite it would be the 3 section staff cause on top of being tons of fun I could at least make some of the techniques work.

SanHeChuan
10-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Spear :D

It's got the finese of a Jian with a 10ft reach. :p

Shaolin
10-06-2006, 08:59 PM
A smile.:)

Li Kao
10-07-2006, 02:01 AM
Hmm well I've always had a knack for long weapons -- in terms of skill, I'm probably best at spear. I'm fairly tall so I've always felt comfortable using staff or kwan do.

But in terms of what I enjoy the most, I would have to say swords -- and I like the broadsword and straight sword equally, even though they have totally different strikes and feel. In my early kung fu years, I mainly used a broadsword, and I just loved the strong slashes and wide arcs of the movements. Then in later years, I got exposed to the straight sword and loved the more subtle thrusts and small cuts -- definitley relies on more finesse in my opinion. But I love using both of them -- there is something empowering about wielding a sword. Someday I'd love to learn a 2-handed sword.

SanSoo Student
10-07-2006, 10:28 AM

That's the ultimate weapon. We all lose :( .

Fuzzly
10-08-2006, 07:33 PM

Shaolin wins the thread for making me smile with him.

David Jamieson
10-09-2006, 06:09 AM
a smile may not always be the most sensible weapon, but it can be highly effective in what would otherwise be a very tense situation.

I woul say a hug is also a valid choice.

ok, enough of the buddhist shmaltz, I pick staff.

staff is easily found in many other objects and if you learn the staff and learn it well, you will have a lot of weapons at your disposal.

and remember, staffs are blunt and are non lethal, so after using one, you can still use the smile. Maybe not the hug though. :D

Samurai Jack
10-09-2006, 07:26 AM
I like the spear for CMA.

The Jo for JMA. I also do iaido so the sword is a given.

golden arhat
10-09-2006, 07:52 AM
i also think you are more likely to find a big machete or cleaver than a big stick
so what is more practical a staff or butterfly knives or a broadsword
plus i know loads of ppl who keep samurai swords for decoration and i see them more than 6 1/2 foot poles

Chief Fox
10-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Breasts are the ultimate weapon. They render many would be attackers completely mesmerized and un able to attack.

But if you really want to beat the cr@p out of somebody, there's nothing better than a staff in my opinion.

golden arhat
10-09-2006, 08:58 AM
what if u want to slice ?

The Willow Sword
10-09-2006, 11:37 AM
The Deer Horn Knives used in Bagua.

WHY? i think that they are nice weapons to work with. I think that if you ever had to use a bladed weapon that these would come in very handy. But realistically Speaking i would prefer a knife and not a small knife. Not an overly huge one either.

My Other choice would be a waxwood staff. practical and very very tough to break.

Yo, TWS

Mantis Pride
10-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Kwan Dao

Weapon with a lot of history and very cool looking.:)

Yum Cha
10-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Agreed, the Kwan Dao.

Heavier the better, none of that aluminium tube with a wu-shu blade rubbish.

I like it for the elements of the staff, the spear and the sword, and how it tests your strength, balance and thus your stance to the highest level.

Also, spirit. No other weapon lets you channel fearsom spirits. :D

Anything you can do with a Kwan dao you can do with a shovel.

I would like to learn the 9 section whip too, but never had the chance.

Helena Handbask
10-11-2006, 08:20 PM
My favourite right now is the Spear, but I hope to learn the Bench very soon!