PDA

View Full Version : Video: Ba Gua apps for hawk soaring to the sky

SPJ
10-05-2006, 09:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bDzB0SObHg&NR

there are 5 hand methods or Shou Fa.

1.Kuo Pian. one hand to restrain, the other hand/palm to cut horizontally with rotation around the elbow or Pian Zhang.

2. Dan or Shan? Shou.

3. Shoulder hitting or Jian Zhuang.

4. Kua Chuo. one hand penetrating above the elbow, the other hand stabs/chuo the abdomen.

5. Tuo Pi. one hand to hold/tuo, the other hand to do downward chop/Pi.

:)

omarthefish
10-05-2006, 11:19 PM
You know.....as much as I agree that hawks are way cooler than ducks....lol..

A "yuen yang", in English is the Mallard Duck, a bird known for monogamy, hence the name for a gongfu move as it is associated with opposing pairs. The palm performed AKA "pointing at heaven and earth" (see the theme?) is one that presents a pair of opposites. One hand points straight up while the other points down.

Most of this, I know, SPJ is aware of and I didn't post it for his benifit....except for getting the English name for the bird wrong. ;)

SPJ
10-06-2006, 06:54 AM
Well.

Yao Yin or sometimes called Yao Zhi Zhuan Tian.

It is some kind of a small bird indicating your hand/palm spiraling upward.

omarthefish
10-06-2006, 07:10 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you there. I am just going by what was presented in the clip. The caption at the beggining says yuen-yang and the instructor calls it by that name too. I really don't know enough about it to say what other names the move has. My own teacher calls it "zhi tian zhi di" (pointing to heaven and earth).

I just didn't see the guy in the clip (the teacher of a friend of mine actually) calling it by the name you used in the thread title. I always remember the yuen-yang because when I first got to China I started eating hot pot a lot in the yuen-yang pot but because my Chinese was not very good, for several years I thought it was a "yin-yang" pot. After all, it's shaped just like the Taiji symbol. lol :D It wasn't untill several years later it finnaly dawned on me that it was not a "taiji" hot pot! :o

SPJ
10-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Cool vid.

Among the apps, I like Chuan Kao Zhang or the upward piercing/penetrating palm and shoulder Kao.

beiquan
10-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Omar, it's Yaoying zuan tian, not Yuanyang zuan tian. Yaoying/Yaozi is a sparrowhawk. The characters are printed at the beginning of the clip.

Nice clip btw :) Zhu is great at really breaking down the movements for apps.

Wu-Tan-Nan
10-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Nice video! I like Bagua!!!

omarthefish
10-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Omar, it's Yaoying zuan tian, not Yuanyang zuan tian. Yaoying/Yaozi is a sparrowhawk. The characters are printed at the beginning of the clip.

So they are....my mistake.
:o