PDA

View Full Version : KFMers and competition

bodhitree
10-07-2006, 12:42 PM
What have you all competed in? How did you do? What are the records?

My record is:

Submission Wrestling 0, 1

I will fight sanshou on the 14th of this month and Submission tournament on the 28th. Let it all out KFMers.

Mr Punch
10-07-2006, 05:07 PM
I would love to.

The things that have stopped me so far:

no time to get in shape... well I'm in shape-ish but not serious competition shape

the lack of amateur comps with rules that I'm interested in (eg, elbows are a must)

a number of very badly timed and some quite serious health problems

my woman would beat the crap out of me if I competed! :D

I'm 34 for a while. I will compete at some point.

bodhitree
10-08-2006, 01:18 PM
I have 3 jobs, 15 credits in school, married, and it doesn't stop me (how I perform might:D )

viper
10-08-2006, 05:09 PM
They dont tend to offer to much full contact tournaments in qld aus unless i got in a cage def dont have the bjj skill yet. But ive competed in three tournaments

1st one i got 4th
2nd got selected for world titles got 11th and fought with a serious back injurie so didnt push it.
3rd came second against a guy with six years exp ive got 3

I didnt want to be a gunna so i did it.

been asked to go to nationals but prob wont i like training mostly.

MasterKiller
10-08-2006, 06:47 PM
submission wrestling: 0-1

Mr Punch
10-08-2006, 09:08 PM
I have 3 jobs, 15 credits in school, married, and it doesn't stop me (how I perform might:D )Good for you. :rolleyes: It so happens we are different people. :) Much as I would like to test myself it is not a possibility anytime soon. As I said I will at some point. I have sparred as hard as anyone (though it's been a while)... and I don't feel a need to test myself, I would just like to. I have no reason to make excuses: my priorites are different.

Ben Gash
10-09-2006, 06:14 AM
Submission wrestling 1-4
San Shou 0-1 (I suffered a serious neck injury in the submission wrestling which curtailed my competitive San Shou career)
Points and light continuous - too many bouts to possibly remember. 1 national title and a slew of silvers and bronzes.

Golden Arms
10-09-2006, 11:34 AM
San Shou 34-3, one of the losses was because I competed with a seperated right shoulder that happened 2 days previous in training, the other 2, because on that day, that fighter was a better man than I :)

wiz cool c
10-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Grapplers Quest 2003 white belt gi open weight devision. I had one match and lost on points. Wong Fei Hong moving push hands 2003. ****ed my knee up in the first match. Tai Chi Legacy 2004 1st place restricted step push hands. Wong Fei Hong 2004 restricted step push hands. Hand three matches won one lost one and got cheated on one. Heaven and earth restricted step push hands 2nd place 2005. Nakabayashi Judo Championship 2005 3rd place.

Royal Dragon
10-10-2006, 08:04 PM
I wussed out of a challenge match I started with Water Dragon a coupe of years ago, does that count?

Wood Dragon
10-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Tournament fights only:

Wins Losses Draws

Kyokushinkai: 22-9-3

Daidojuku: 13-4-0

Judo: 5-3-0

I've got 5, 10 and 25 Man Kumites under my belt, as well, for what that's worth.

sunfist
10-11-2006, 12:09 AM
I have no reason to make excuses

so the excuses were a bonus?

I have not as of yet competed because I suck :(

Dingo983
10-12-2006, 06:45 AM
I am undefeated. My record is 0-0-0. I will remain undefeated.;)

FatherDog
10-12-2006, 07:51 PM
I sure as hell can't remember my complete sub wrestling record; I've had too many matches and I drink too much.

Since I've been competing in the advanced division, I took second in cruiserweight in Grappler's Quest Southeast in Virginia one year, losing by advantage to the guy who took first. Got injured and was out till the next year, when I lost in the first round by points to Mike Atkins, a guy literally twice my age. Competed in the absolute, won my first round by arm-triangle, and then got triangled into unconsciousness by Nolan Dutcher. Competed in the GQ Nationals after that and took third in cruiser, lost by points to the guy who took first.

Been focusing on getting my teammates prepared for the MMA matches they've been competing in lately; I'll probably jump into a few amateur matches next year.

Merryprankster
10-14-2006, 11:57 PM
I have no f'in clue.

I was a regular on the GQ and NAGA circuits from 2000-2003, and hit up some local stuff besides.

Some days, I would have six matches or more...

At the Judo tournament in the vid clip thread, I had over 8 matches that day, until I got hit with a giant pick up that dislocated my shoulder.

You tend to rack up a lot of matches that way. I was doing some cataloging and transfer of some of the tapes I have, and I have over 20 matches TRANSFERED, not just recorded that I haven't transfered, and the recorded matches aren't even close to half of the ones that I've done.

Things have changed though. Match #s per tournament start to decrease significantly at the purple belt division and advanced/expert divisions, and as a brown belt, you may not even have an opponent at many tournaments.

bodhitree
10-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Well I lost my first sanshou fight on saturday. For the first 45 seconds i had him against the ropes pounding him, then he sprung out with a combo that really hurt me. I was rocked, my defense went out the window, my hands went out the window, what my corner was screaming went out the window, my punches went wide, the ref gave me a staning 8 and I continued. I never recovered in the second round and the ref stopped the fight. The guy that beat me was from Scott Sheeley's Iron Tiger fight team. I am so disappointed with myself. I can't believe I couldn't recover and couldn't do what i do when sparring. I don't know. ]

sanshou

0-1
*the person who beat me won the division

SevenStar
10-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Congrats on competing. I know you learned a lot. As far as forgetiing everything, that's how it is. Getting hit changes a lot of things... it changes everything. That is why I advocate that all MA compete at least once. Better to have the experience you had in the ring, than in the street, right? Learning how to recover and deal with the stress, the adrenaline dump, etc. is all something gained through experience.

bodhitree
10-16-2006, 04:52 PM
I really can't wait to compete in kickboxing again, I will do a grappling tournament on Oct 28
www.iswa.us
the iron city tournament, but I am so mad, I love martial arts, I know that I can do good, rrrrggghhhh. I guess I should wait until I graduate in december till I start thinking about kickboxing again.

SevenStar
10-17-2006, 09:32 AM
I really can't wait to compete in kickboxing again, I will do a grappling tournament on Oct 28
www.iswa.us
the iron city tournament, but I am so mad, I love martial arts, I know that I can do good, rrrrggghhhh. I guess I should wait until I graduate in december till I start thinking about kickboxing again.

No need to be mad. the only guys that will never lose are those like dingo983 who never compete. I haven't grappled seriously in a minute, but I've been informed that within the next 6 months or so I will be competing, so I will probably get my arse handed to me when I do. Such is life. I think you've got what I call first loss syndrome. I won my first two kickboxing matches and lost my third. It killed me. Not only because I lost in the first round, but because 1.) I invited all of my friends to watch it and 2.) I know I coulda done better. Eventually i did get over it, and subsequent losses, whether they were judo, bjj or kickboxing really weren't that bad. Just make sure you learn from the process.

Mr Punch
10-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Congrats on competing. I know you learned a lot. As far as forgetiing everything, that's how it is. Getting hit changes a lot of things... it changes everything. That is why I advocate that all MA compete at least once. Better to have the experience you had in the ring, than in the street, right? Learning how to recover and deal with the stress, the adrenaline dump, etc. is all something gained through experience.Dunno, though. Sparring full contact in MMA, knowing you can't stop for the five mins of the round or even longer if there's no rounds... I get the adrenaline dump, I get the loss of fine skills, I get the fear, I get beaten hard enough to knock me down, sometimes out, many times TKO, and sometimes if the class is busy there's less of a chance of somebody stopping it... plus there's no weight classes (and I will go and have gone against anybody!) and it's really scary against someone with 50+ kilos of muscle and 6" of height over you...

Even semi-full contact with no padding like in kungfu, esp when you know the guy you're sparring with has very little control and he's bigger than you is a world of scariness and pressure because if you do mess it up (and more importantly, he does) you could be going straight to hospital...

Don't really see in some ways that competing's gonna give me so much more.

I'd still like to, just saying.

yenhoi
10-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Generally getting beat up is good for you in more ways then one.

Keep kickin bodhitree, how you train now in the aftermath of this loss is more important then having lost the fight. Just focus on the grappling comp like you said and it will all be well.

You didnt mention the things you did right before you got smacked down.

:cool:

SevenStar
10-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Dunno, though. Sparring full contact in MMA, knowing you can't stop for the five mins of the round or even longer if there's no rounds... I get the adrenaline dump, I get the loss of fine skills, I get the fear, I get beaten hard enough to knock me down, sometimes out, many times TKO, and sometimes if the class is busy there's less of a chance of somebody stopping it... plus there's no weight classes (and I will go and have gone against anybody!) and it's really scary against someone with 50+ kilos of muscle and 6" of height over you...

Even semi-full contact with no padding like in kungfu, esp when you know the guy you're sparring with has very little control and he's bigger than you is a world of scariness and pressure because if you do mess it up (and more importantly, he does) you could be going straight to hospital...

I'd still like to, just saying.

sparring is...well... sparring. When you spar with someone, even if it is full contact, you usually know the person, as you train with them. The feeling, rush, stresses, etc. are nowhere near the level of fighting someone you don't know, who wants to hurt you and who will not stop, and all the while people are watching. Semi contact is even further removed, regardless of his control level. Once you do it, you'll see.

while sparring, yes, you can stop. I don't know of any class mate who will keep hitting you if you tell them you need to quit. they may not lessen the contact level if you ask, but if you want them to completely stop, they will. Also, class isn't a competitive atmosphere - there is no real motivation for either party to win, as you aren't really testing yourself, you're merely training. There is a world of difference.

FatherDog
10-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Dunno, though. Sparring full contact in MMA, knowing you can't stop for the five mins of the round or even longer if there's no rounds... I get the adrenaline dump, I get the loss of fine skills, I get the fear, I get beaten hard enough to knock me down, sometimes out, many times TKO, and sometimes if the class is busy there's less of a chance of somebody stopping it... plus there's no weight classes (and I will go and have gone against anybody!) and it's really scary against someone with 50+ kilos of muscle and 6" of height over you...

I get all of that in class. Also, I have competed. There is no comparison between the two - the adrenaline dump and stress of competing is exponentially more powerful than sparring in class.

The fact that you don't really see that competing is gonna give you so much more is because you haven't competed.

David Jamieson
10-18-2006, 01:27 PM
ooooh a bragging thread!

smell the vaniloquence in the palaestra!

Wood Dragon
01-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Bump.

Proclaim your victories.

Whimper your defeats.

qeySuS
01-02-2007, 04:36 AM
Well it can't be bragging if i do really poorly lol.

I've had probably about 20-30 submission wrestling matches, and have a slight winning ratio, i'd guess that i have a ratio of about .7 winning or something like that.

I've had three amateur MMA matches and lost them all.

** edit **

Forgot to add that i've had probably about 10 TKD matches as well, actually had a pretty good record there, but it hasn't helped me at all lol so i didn't really think of mentioning it at first (plus it was ages ago).

laugarkuen
01-02-2007, 12:40 PM
I guess I'm the odd one out as I really dislike competition. When I'm losing, I don't like it. When I'm winning, no interest.

I'm probably one of the least competative people on this thread. I'm much less competative than Dingo983 and will agree with anyone who says otherwise :D

I'm not apathetic and I enjoy sparring and hard training and yes, in the past I have competed. Nothing big, just inter-club comps.

That said I do intend to compete in both push hands and lion dance this year.

Shaolinlueb
01-02-2007, 12:49 PM
i entered the kumetia and me, next to frank duxs am the second white man to win it.