PDA

View Full Version : Wah Lum Tampa Closing?

mantiskilla
10-09-2006, 12:47 PM
I heard a rumor that Wah Lum in Tampa was closing...is this true? Anyone hear this?
Thanks
________
Green Crack Pictures (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/green-crack)

yu shan
10-09-2006, 01:20 PM
That is Tom Haase, I cannot imagine him closing the school unless he is relocating elsewhere. I know the WL Shifu in Gainesville bailed out of his school maybe he is moving there, but I heard Leroy from Knoxville would be heading to Gatorland.

Yao Sing
10-09-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm way out of the loop these days so I can't offer anything. I'd be surprised if it did close down.

Frogman
10-13-2006, 12:25 PM
:confused:

RibHit!!!

MantisWarrior
10-13-2006, 01:33 PM
sifu dale herring from g'vill moved to tenn. after he got married. kind of sad that he has to move but happy for his marriage.

Yao Sing
10-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Good for Dale. So, is someone taking over for him in Gainesville?

MantisWarrior
10-13-2006, 05:08 PM
technically not yet, we have a sihing from wah lum temple who comes over on sunday and monday and hold 1.5 hr class each. however, we do not have a sifu. but for me anyone who can teach me stuff is my sifu. currently, we are training on uf campus :D

Yao Sing
10-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Well, it may not be approved but feel free to ask me questions if you get stuck on anything.

Probably your best bet is to use this time to pick apart what you've already learned and drill your basics hard. I'm sure Dale left you guys with plenty to keep occupied.

yu shan
10-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Tampa school is moving to West Cass Street. Must be trying to cut his overhead. School location now is in a high dollar yuppy area. But Cass Street is the hood. You`ll hear automatic gunfire on those late night training sessions.

Yao Sing
10-18-2006, 01:12 PM
So the rank test will now consist of walking to class for a week and if you survive you get promoted. :)

Looks like everyone is getting hit hard these days. Tough business to be in right now.

Yao Sing
10-18-2006, 01:29 PM
I don't see the Wah Lum Gainsville school thread so I'll use this one.

Congrats to Matt for taking over Dale's Gainsville students. You guys better get in shape, Matt's hard core.

Matt was a member of the Temple's Demo Team, has plenty of competition experience, and yes he's a fighter.

Chop Socki
10-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Scary school locations are very traditional! ;)

I remember walking to the Chinatown school in Boston one morning, lugging a bunch of weapons for a test. I'd parked in a lot a few blocks away and set out for a leisurely stroll thru the Combat Zone (this was many years back when it was still very much in full swing) with all this stuff and not a care in the world. The walk was... eventful.

Even all these years later, I still can't imagine what I was thinking.

Good luck to my kf brothers to the South,

- CS

Swannee
10-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Spent one night in the boston Chinatown school 1988 or so, there were some gunshots that night......Yushan, you remember that don't you........don't think that is going on where we are moving, in fact they are calling the area North Hyde Park.....Jim, things have changed since you were in Tampa. All the developments are taking over Tampa.:) :) :D :D:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :

Thanks for all the good wishes....We are excited about a great new space......

Cynthia

spiralstair
10-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Oh Yeah!!!??
My school's neighborhood in Switzerland is so tough sometimes I have to wait for the farmer to call the cows back to the barn just so I can open my door! And don't tell me to use the 8 hard 12 soft either...a cow is a particularly difficult opponent for a martial artist...though Fan Che does work a bit to speed up the milking process... wait a minute, there is 'leaking hand'... :D

yu shan
10-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Come to think of it, my teachers first school he opened after returning to the states was in the middle of skid row. Then it moved to XXX nation, that was interesting!

Swannee, remember when I almost got shot by the pimp in China Town. The learning lesson that night, do not get inbetween the trick and the trickee. Boy, China town in Boston changes when the sun goes down.

One thing for sure, the Wah Lum teacher in Tampa always "builds out" his schools very nice. There is a good feeling when you walk thru the door. Moving to Cass Street is a good central location.

Spiralstair, now that is a tuff neighborhood! There must be zero stress levels in that country... I`m envious.

Swannee
10-20-2006, 07:15 AM
Hey Spiral Stair

Maybe we need to come to Switzerland, I think Tom has a secret technique to use with those critters....He learned that before he could walk.:D :D

Yeah Yushan we are working on that as we speak....:)

Take care, gotta load the POD.......:( :( :( ...or paint or something:eek: :eek:

Peace
Cynthia

Shaolin Dude
10-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Boston Chinatown is alot safer now. There is a chinatown crime watch

Chop Socki
10-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Boston Chinatown is alot safer now. There is a chinatown crime watch

Absolutely - my reference was to a time hundreds of years ago when I was testing. The Combat Zone is also a thing of the past.

- CS

spiralstair
10-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Spiralstair, now that is a tuff neighborhood! There must be zero stress levels in that country... I`m envious.
Actually, I've found the stress on two continents is similar...it is about keeping a full time CMA school going, making enough money for myself and those I care about, finding enough to time to research and improve myself to 'advanced' levels while continually teaching others the 'first steps', healing injuries at age 52 that were 'nothing' 15 or 20 years ago, dealing with the continual attrition that is such a constant in student's attendence in the 'physical' practices....do I sound like I'm a whiner?
No...just a realistic CMA teacher.

Cynthia: Your new place sounds exciting...all the best to you and Tom.

Yao Sing
10-22-2006, 06:01 PM
I have a commercial shoot in Tampa on Wednesday. What's the address? If it doesn't go too late maybe I'll swing by and have a look.

I don't know if I've become an outcast since leaving so I don't want to stir anything up, just see the school and say hello. I miss everyone.

mantiskilla
10-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Yao Sing--

I think you're right, seems to me that Kung fu in general has slowed down the last couple of years. Still, there are a good amount of schools around, a lot of them Wah Lum; I just met a guy last weekend from Wah Lum in North Port, then of course there's the South Tampa Wah Lum and Carrollwood. Seems like a lot of people are more interested in 'MMA' now though.
________
Lsd rehab forums (http://www.rehab-forum.com/lsd-rehab/)

Swannee
10-23-2006, 10:15 PM
David

You are welcome to come by...Where is your shoot? We are just off of I-275 at the Howard Armenia Exit. Easy to find and much more centrally located....:cool:

Peace
Cynthia