PDA

View Full Version : Andy Lau remaking 5 Deadly Venoms?

jethro
10-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Tell me what you think of this-"Sina.com reports that Hong Kong’s singing and acting megastar Andy Lau is planning to finance and star in an English-language remake of THE FIVE VENOMS (1978), the classic kung fu movie from Shaw Brothers and legendary martial arts filmmaker Chang Cheh."

My thoughts are it is going to be stupid and then it was confirmed when I read English language version. How bad is this going to be and will it ever get made?

Also, Desing Sifu decided to title my thread return of the 5 Deadly Venoms. I never in my right mind would put up a title like that!

street_fighter
10-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Isn't there already a 'Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms'. Its where they all have different handycaps and must take revenge on the dude with the iron hands. Yeah, if this flick gets made, it will be a piece of crap IMO. 5 venoms without the famed '5 venoms' is crap already. If they do make it, they at least better have cameos of the original venoms...

Li Kao
10-10-2006, 10:53 PM
If they do make it, they at least better have cameos of the original venoms...

Chiang Sheng unfortunately died of a heart attack in 1991. :(

The movie called Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms wasn't named that originally -- actually, I've seen it released as Crippled Avengers or Mortal Combat, and I think the original title was Can Que. Crash Cinema released it under that name just to cash in on the popularity of the 5 Venoms movies. Obviously it's not a sequel as most of the 5 Venoms were killed off in the original movie :D

I don't like the idea of someone trying to update this classic. No offense to Andy Lau, but the original one is one of my favorites and I don't want to see someone ruin it. I'm sure we all have a favorite movie that we wouldn't want redone under any circumstances -- this is the one one for me.

The Xia
10-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Gee, I wonder why that title isn't used as much.

Li Kao
10-11-2006, 03:33 AM
Bah, the movie was made before the game, and didn't use the ridiculous "k" in the spelling of combat, but you make a good point.

Come to think of it, Lu Feng signed his own death warrant when he merely crippled the heroes instead of using a "fatality"

Shaolinlueb
10-11-2006, 05:29 AM
i liked it. i thought it was fun. a bit different then the first one, but just as good i thought.

jethro
10-11-2006, 02:32 PM
I liked Crippled Avengers(Mortal Combat) more than the first one. I For me it is tied with Kid With the Golden Arm as my favorite venoms film.

I am pretty disgusted by Andy Lau thinking about redoing 5 Deadly Venoms. You can't just put pop stars in place of quality screen fighters like the venoms were.

street_fighter
10-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Oh, thats too bad about Chiang Sheng. He was my favorite venom hands down. He was awesome as the retard in Crippled Avengers or whatever.

jethro
10-13-2006, 01:19 PM
My favorite Chiang Sheng moment is when he rips that guys nuts off in 2 Champions of Shaolin.

Jimbo
10-14-2006, 01:53 PM
My thoughts are that nowadays, movie-makers seem to think that if a movie was made that achieved any level of popularity, they need to remake it. What seems to result every time is a horribly inferior wannabe product.

The original stars that made up the "Venom Mob" cannot just be replaced with CGI, wires, and pop idols. What made those old movies good and gave them character were the stars themselves, and director Chang Cheh. These cannot be recreated. (btw, my favorite "Venom Mob" film is The Magnificent Ruffians, where Lu Feng was the main villain who used a "horse-cutter" to eliminate other kung fu experts.

Too many other movies have been screwed up with inferior remakes...Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead, The Haunting, etc. Tarentino already paid a type of "homage" to the 5 Venoms in Kill Bill.

If there is a remake of the Venoms, maybe the ONLY good thing that might come of it is that some of the original Shaw classics may become available in common DVD form...hopefully, remastered and in original Chinese-language or original English dub (I hate it when companies re-release KF movies with English-dub version wherein the English was re-dubbed).

Shaolinlueb
10-16-2006, 01:24 PM
hey, dawn of the dead was good. :P