PDA

View Full Version : Yang or Wu?

unclaimed effort
07-22-2001, 02:47 AM
Which style would you prefer, why? Yang, Wu Hao, or Wu Yu hsiang. And also I forgot as to, which Wu was more of resemblance to the Shuyn style of Tai Chi?

Daniel Madar
07-22-2001, 02:59 AM
Wu Yu Hsiang and Wu Hao are the same form, though there is some variation between the form taught by Wu Yu Hsiang, and the form taught by Hao Wei Zhen.

I think what you mean is:

Yang
Wu Yu Hsiang
Wu Jien Quan

Sun is a derivative form of Hao, and bears a strong resemblance to Hao, but since Hao is much rarer than Sun, people frequently mistake the two.

Merciless is Mercy.

wujidude
07-23-2001, 06:43 PM
I just wanted to say that, to my eye anyway, there is a tremendous difference between Wu Yu-hsiang's form and the Hao style form coming from Hao Weizhen, a student of Wu's nephew, Li I-yu. Wu Yu-hsiang's form much more clearly resembles the Chen xiaojia style he learned (at least in part) from Chen Qingping, with strong Yang influence as well (Wu is said to have studied under Yang Luchan for two years before seeking out Chen Qingping, feeling frustrated that maybe he wasn't learning "everything" from Yang).

The internal dynamics of the Hao style strongly determine its external appearance. Very little chansijin is apparent in the external movements, when compared with Wu Yu-hsiang's form. It appears to me to be more of a direct, "hydraulic" compression of the torso than the spiraling rotations of Wu Yu-hsiang's form. I think the Hao style is a conscious attempt to meld simple and direct martial techniques with very studied application of internal principles from the Yang/Wu taijiquan "classics". Liu Jishun in the Bay Area has much to say in this regard.

But this is pretty much just speculation on my part. I learned some Hao style. My impression of Wu Yu-hsiang's form is based on the writings and watching the performance of Xue Nai-yin (who teaches in New Zealand).

unclaimed effort
07-24-2001, 04:00 AM
Daniel, I am not talking about the Sun Lu Tang's Sun style. I am talking about the Shyun style.

Daniel Madar
07-24-2001, 05:17 AM
I just assumed given the confusion with the wu/hao wu yu hsiang that you had mispelled it. For that matter I assumed that you were confused over the wu/hao wu yu hsiang, so you have my apologies.

Merciless is Mercy.

EARTH DRAGON
07-24-2001, 08:42 PM
shyun style is Wu with some of the movements changed for respect to the Wu family. shyun kwon long was asked by the wu family to not teach non chinese. shyun refused but out of respect changed some movements and renamed it shyun style. hope this clears up the confusion.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

unclaimed effort
07-25-2001, 12:08 AM
Daniel, you are way more qualified than I am...You need not apologize.

Earth Dragon, your post has been helpful. Thank you.

Daniel Madar
07-25-2001, 07:40 AM
I'm actually just tend to fire off my opinions more quickly.

I C you are in oakland. You should come to SF sometime and check out my teacher. I'd kill to have met her when I was your age. ((If I remember correctly, you are in your teens.)) She's great. Email me at zharoff@hotmail.com if you are interested.

Merciless is Mercy.

unclaimed effort
07-27-2001, 05:37 AM
You have good memory. I am interested, but unfortunately I cannot make it to San Francisco. As you see, at my age I still have my parents to guide me/boss me around. Maybe you could tell me about your sifu. I'm sure since she set up a school there, she wouldn't be gone by the time I have the freedom to go there.