PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Ian Protheroe

straight blast
10-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Just looking for any info on Sifu Protheroe...

I.e. has anyone trained with him or his students, impressions, etc.

I have been to his website & seeing as he teaches about 5 minutes from my house I thought I'd do some research & maybe look him up.

I have a video of his and it is pretty good.

viper
10-13-2006, 06:00 AM
I take it you live on the south side of brissy dude I havnt been to a class but seems from the people ive talked to that hes a rather knowledgable man I would think you should take a class though to find out for yourself.

Lindley
10-13-2006, 10:36 AM
I had the great fortune of meeting Sifu Protheroe about 11 years ago while working on a project for work in Australia. Just a phone call out of the yellow pages and this man was inviting me to his school to train with his class and then welcoming me in his home for a beer. He is a fine gentlemen with a wealth of knowledge and integrity. We still keep in touch today.

He was one of GM William Cheung's original 1970's students. Like a good martial artist, he took what he learned and built upon it with travels to Hong Kong to visit, know, and train with other well known Wing Chun Sifu's.

Go and meet him. It is important that you feel comfortable with your future instructor. I am sure he will do his job of transfering his knowledge honestly to you and then it will be up to you to work hard on making your kung fu good.

Tell him Jay said so.

Good luck!

Ultimatewingchun
10-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Interesting....never heard his name mentioned within William Cheung circles before.

What about you, Andrew Nerlich? Has Rick Spain ever mentioned Ian before? Rick trained with Willam Cheung back in the 70's.

anerlich
10-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Rick Spain trained with Ian Protheroe in the early days and knows him quite well. I've not met the guy myself but my instructor holds him in pretty high regard. IP left the WWCKFA a long, long time ago.

His books are TWC straight and true - IMHO in many ways better than William Cheung's own.

From the articles I've read about him and what I've learned the man is a tireless and faithful student of TWC and TCMA with an enormous breadth and depth of knowledge.

straight blast
10-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Wow that is great!

Unusual to get such good feedback from everyone involved. I just need to check my finances & then I will definately look him up.

Thanks!

Ultimatewingchun
10-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Andrew,

Are his books available somewhere? Are they sold in the United States?

anerlich
10-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Victor,

http://www.wingchun-kungfu.com.au/books_video/books_video.shtml

http://www.everythingwingchun.com/ian-protheroe-wing-chun-dvd-videos-william-cheung-s/52.htm

Ultimatewingchun
10-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Thanks, Andrew...