PDA

View Full Version : Where did this person get these ideas?

Wyvern_Beta
07-22-2001, 08:11 AM
Click on the following link for a laugh

http://www.nccg.org/234Art-MartialArts.html

Before I had read this article, I had believed myself to be a person who would consider all possible points of view on a subject seriously. After all, how much conflict could be prevented if people followed someone else's way of thinking? But after hearing about this article from a message board at

http://www.megatokyo.com

(The topic was called Martial Arts is the DEVIL!) I experienced an emotion that felt like humor and annoyance. Ki is really power from the Devil? Doesn't that depend on the person focusing it? What are some more experienced martial artists' thoughts on this article?

I don't think I can take the article seriously. Perhaps I should re-examine my own way of thinking before I mock the author's beliefs.

"No matter how hard you study, if you do not become one with the 'spirit of the thing itself' will always elude you." Miyamoto Musashi

Repulsive Monkey
07-22-2001, 01:18 PM
I think it would be very beneficial to all to read such an artical as the angle it comes from seems to be quite sinister itself. The way how they distort information to qualify their needs seems to resonate with a very fundemantalistic flavour. If as I suspect, this does originate from these areas then one can dismiss it completely as my experience has shown that the actual harm from Christian fundamentalist teachings are far worse than the ideas that this article proports to be had from practisinf Martial Arts. The article plainly flounders on the amount of innaccuracies and too be honest the amount of stubborn and ignorant distortions that it makes to be taken seriously. However the writier of the article obviouslt didn't write as a joke, that we can be sure of. So herein lies the precaution in taking information at face value I suppose whoever has written it. If it is say that Classics from Chang Zhang-feng in Taiji, or this article from its authour one must try to see what it is they are really telling us and try not to get lost in the literature itself.

shaolinboxer
07-22-2001, 04:13 PM
I am Satan's number one son!

Bow your head!

origenx
07-22-2001, 07:28 PM
Actually, many Christians believe qi or any form of power not directly attributed to God is Satanic.

Fu-Pow
07-22-2001, 09:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you are a Christian and regard the Lord as your very present help in trouble, you will obviously bring the problem of self-defence to Him. As you ask Him to renew your thinking on the subject you will find your attituides revolutionized as your thinking becomes more conformed to God's. Regarding this particular attack-situation, in the split-second following an initial threat, the Christian will cry out to his Heavenly Father for help. This help often comes in a quite unexpected way. Calmness is very important and it is often possible to "disarm" the aggressor with a wise and fearless word.

[/quote]

Yeah, I like this strategy....kneel down and prey as you get your face kicked in and head bashed to the curb. Jesus will save you!!! This person watches too much TV, man. What's he think...that if he prays hard enough that suddenly a "miracle" will occur and an off duty cop will be walking by.

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

unclaimed effort
07-23-2001, 02:47 AM
I was taught and always believed in letting everybody share their opinion too. This isn't the first time christians have attacked martial arts though. I lost my respect for them as people who can be open-minded a long time ago.

unclaimed effort
07-23-2001, 02:50 AM
I bet they are hyprocrits, they say that now, but when the real thing comes they won't be calm enough to run. We on the other hand, are trained to be calm, and handle things by talking it out first.

Braden
07-23-2001, 03:24 AM
"I was taught and always believed in letting everybody share their opinion too...I lost my respect for them as people who can be open-minded a long time ago...I bet they are hyprocrits."

Seriously! Also, I hate it when people judge people just on where they are from, the way Russians do!

The Willow Sword
07-23-2001, 09:11 PM
ahh those wacky christians. in fights ive seen on the street i have heard a couple of hail marys being uttered by the guy who is getting the tar beat out of him. i have yet to see the skies part and the hand of god stop the fight.
maybe the help the victim was asking for is actually the help he is getting from the almighty ah? Kharma,,,its a bit!!!!
Many respects, willow sword

Whatever you think i am or want me to be,,, i am.
oh and,,,Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks you are an a$.

Internal Boxer
07-23-2001, 11:42 PM
Sadly it is always ignorant narrow minded bigots who like to judge others. Christians would do better to let God Judge not them. In my work I often write reports for litigation and it is so easy to twist and manipulate any given information to suit your own agenda. What makes me laugh about all of this is the bloody history of wars that have been waged in the name of Christianity causing untold death and suffering world wide, it this authors attitude that is the thin end of the wedge which leads to hate, where man judges man in the name of a higher ideal. Look at the KKK scum they have embraced christ and can justify their hate through the bible scriptures because it is so easy to do so. Ironically if you take Buddism for example they have never waged a war in the name of their religion, and they believe in the augmentation of chi for health (fire meditation method). It is well documented that chi development practices can be used for healing as well. Mmmmm satanic buddism? you've got to feel sorry for them, I only hope God does not Judge them too harshly as they have judged others. Do not worry guys there are many unreasonable religous nuts out there.

Brad
07-24-2001, 07:02 AM
As a Christian, I can say this guy is a nut. My view is that qi is a natural part of all of us. That means God put it there, so it IS a power from God. I can say, that this guy represents a very small(but loud!) minority among Christians.

Braden
07-24-2001, 07:37 AM
"Sadly it is always ignorant narrow minded bigots who like to judge others."

Those are EXACTLY my feelings concerning this thread. ;)

Buddhists have never killed for their faith!? You should invite me to your world, it sounds alot cooler than the one I'm familiar with.

Internal Boxer
07-26-2001, 09:20 PM
1) Sorry, I should have clarified what I mean by "Judged". Since we are dealing with religion I naturally believed anyone reading it would refer to judging in the biblical context, I was obviously wrong, oh silly me. Just in case it is still not clear: Biblical Judging: Ie.If a man commits acts that could be viewed as unholy, antichristian etc etc etc, and not observations on personality flaws (blatantly obvious perhaps?). It could be said that the gentleman writing the article is spreading fear and mistrust, which are certainly not Christian virtues. This was of course a reference to writing such an article or having such an opinion, which could be viewed as unchristian and therefore could lead him to being judged by the almighty in the biblical context. His attitude could prevent others benefiting from the self defence not to mention the benefits of the meditation, improving the human being in every aspect of their life and their loved ones.

I wrote "Buddhism for example they have never waged a war in the name of their religion" let me spell it out. Christians have waged war in the name of Christianity the Pope supported a Holy war to invade Arabia in the medieval crusades. I was of course never suggesting that Buddhists have never killed, but the D.L. has never to my knowledge declared a holy war on anybody. Unless you can enlighten me perhaps?

The lights are on, the door is open but there is no one at home
;) ;)

PlasticSquirrel
07-28-2001, 07:25 PM
i read something similar to that in "larson's book of cults." it was a total joke. i love the part where it says that "advanced practitioners [of tai chi chuan] warn of supernatural strength," though.

it's a total joke. they like to put everything in the context of what they believe and know of. most everything is attributed to the devil, the "powers of darkness", a demon, demons, or (this is when they're being open-minded) "another source." i'm not joking about that either. they are never open-minded about anything that may seem questionable at first glance. they use the word "supernatural" too much too. i can't think of anything in taijiquan that is not natural.

i tend to think of it all as amusing, but then when i look back at how christian bigots are always acting about this sort of thing, it fills me with a very deep sense of annoyance. their resources are most often garbage written by other people like them, too.

kungfu cowboy
07-30-2001, 12:29 PM
I think I just saw Santa!! :)

Fu-Pow
07-30-2001, 07:54 PM
Hey! What about those power team guys? You know, the ones who break chains and bend stuff for the "glory of god." Isn't it that stuff the same as "chi." Just because the asians call it something else does it mean it really is? The author of the this web page has a particularily
anti-asian bent. Don't ya think?

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

wu_de36
07-31-2001, 06:45 AM
GAZE into the powers of my Eeeeeeeeeevil Eye!

Fearing things you don't understand is a great way to simplify your life:)

kungfu cowboy
07-31-2001, 11:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What about those power team guys? You know, the ones who break chains and bend stuff for the "glory of god." [/quote]

Ugh. I can't stand these ****s. Hmmm, does there "uncanny ability" have anything to do with the fact that they are powerlifters? If they were 98 lb weaklings, I might be impressed.(actually not)(and those awful outfits!)

harry_the_monk
07-31-2001, 07:03 PM
Gold Power Ranger, although the others r pretty cool as well ;)

greyseal
08-03-2001, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the christian bashing guys and girls. I happen to be one. When you say things that are so derogatory, and complain about christians being close-minded and intolerant, yadda yadda, you are displaying the behavior that you just ranted about!
I take the martial arts, and I don't love the devil. I imagine that most of the people that use this forum are adults, so why mouth such inane things about my faith? Everyone is not the same. That would be like saying all chinese people study martial arts or that all black people are criminals. Well guess what? IT AIN'T TRUE EITHER! Every individual is just that, an individual, and his her beliefs should be respected. Okay I'm done yelling now. Peace.

matt
08-13-2001, 08:18 AM
i am a very devout christian and a christian can do any thing after being saved because he is already dead to sin haveing been afermed in the sprit this approach leads christains to greatness

matt bugg