PDA

View Full Version : Do you practice Chinese Martial Arts?

Samurai Jack
10-17-2006, 03:06 AM
Due to some interesting changes over the last month or two, I've noticed some members changing up thier martial arts schools, and or cross training. I'm just interested in getting a snap-shot, if you will, of our current membership's martial training, and a general idea as to the number of CMA practitioners we currently have activly participating in the Forums. Feel free to comment.

sunfist
10-17-2006, 03:15 AM
I like the chinese stuff, and so base myself in it, but its a big world out there. I think the culture surrounding an art is important, but to restrict your training options by culture will leave you a lot of gaps.

omarthefish
10-17-2006, 03:28 AM
I responded "only CMA" but that's because the poll was phrased in the present tense and I live in China. :p

If the poll was a year ago I would have had to answer that I do CMA and other stuff too and in another year it could be again. I just currently happen to only be working on Baji and Taiji.

sihing
10-17-2006, 04:00 AM
I practice solely chinese MA, Wing Chun. Recently I've been exposed to a different lineage of WC and I love it for it's practical uses and the science behind the art. To me, right now to practice another MA would take away from my understanding of what I am currently training in, plus I only have so much time to practice. To say that I need anything else is false also, as it has been over 2 decades since my last altercation, and I prefer to be provactive about violent situations and avoid them at all costs before it gets physical. Cross training is good, if your goal is sport fighting. I'd rather be a master of one, than a jack of all trades.;)

Just my loonies worth..:D

James

Nick Forrer
10-17-2006, 04:34 AM
I practice WC (8 years) and BJJ - gi and no gi (2 years)

Also working the clinch when I can ( muay thai and greco roman)

Have done bits and pieces of tai chi and Kali too

In general trying to look beyond particular arts and instead trying to understand body mechanics/fundamental movement patterns (structure, motion, power generation etc) and strategy.

bodhitree
10-17-2006, 04:35 AM
I voted no even though I just fought sanshou, my training is more in muay thai. I used to train TCMA and I plan on going back to TCMA when I get a bit older and some more combat sport experience under my feet!

mattb
10-17-2006, 07:07 AM
I signed up because I heard they were giving away free hats.;)

Ultimatewingchun
10-17-2006, 07:15 AM
Wing Chun Kung Fu since 1975...Catch as catch can wrestling since 2000...Boxing since 2000.

Have combined the 3 into a MMA approach.

Wood Dragon
10-17-2006, 07:24 AM
I'm a Karateka. Started with JKA Shotokan when I was 12, then on to Kyokushin for over a decade. The last couple of years, I've been a Daido Juku fighter.

I've also got Shodan rank in Kodokan Judo.

Chief Fox
10-17-2006, 07:53 AM
I voted that I practice CMA and other arts because right now I have this nagging interest in BJJ that won't go away.

Where's my free hat?

SevenStar
10-17-2006, 08:30 AM
My main thing is muay thai and judo. capoeira and bjj as time permits. I no longer train CMA.

SevenStar
10-17-2006, 08:31 AM
I practice solely chinese MA, Wing Chun. Recently I've been exposed to a different lineage of WC and I love it for it's practical uses and the science behind the art. To me, right now to practice another MA would take away from my understanding of what I am currently training in, plus I only have so much time to practice. To say that I need anything else is false also, as it has been over 2 decades since my last altercation, and I prefer to be provactive about violent situations and avoid them at all costs before it gets physical. Cross training is good, if your goal is sport fighting. I'd rather be a master of one, than a jack of all trades.;)

Just my loonies worth..:D

James

Nevermind the fact that the "master of one" is still a jack of all trades...

SanHeChuan
10-17-2006, 08:36 AM
I don't train CMA because of the nature of my geography. But even if I could I'd still dabble in other arts. I think CMA has the deepest well, but a leaky bucket.

Pork Chop
10-17-2006, 08:56 AM
I apply "liu he", "fah jing", and bridging (especially leaking) to boxing.
I still keep the gates, doors, ranges, and quest for positional dominance.
I work on rooting at the moment of impact (coming in or out), but try to float like air the rest of the time.

In muay thai i used to use a lot of centerline theory and the sensitivity I picked up from taiji push hands really put me on another level in the clinch.

Do I still go to a kwoon, bow to sifu, and light the joss sticks? no
but I'll bust out a form on occasion, try to sneak an application into the grey areas in the rules for fight sports, and have much the same work ethic...

after a certain point a lot of it really blends together anyway and being as effective as i can be takes precedence over faithfully following a particular doctrine.

BTW- if I hear someone pop off that i'm really just a JKD concepts guy instead of following an instinct fighters have had for millenia, i think I'll pull out the last little bit of hair I got left.

Ultimatewingchun
10-17-2006, 09:25 AM
"I think CMA has the deepest well, but a leaky bucket."

***GOOD ONE. :cool:

SifuAbel
10-17-2006, 01:08 PM
So what are the no listers doing here? It seems just to debunk KF. It seems thats the only thing certain members are here to do.

I know what the response will be, " Don't you want an alternate point of view?" sure and i'll go elswhere to find it. But this board is about CMA and those that want to learn from it. All others are here just to be pests.

You may think you are doing CMA a favor but,
Thanks, we gave at the office. Theres no need for your "charitable" donations. :rolleyes:

Becca
10-17-2006, 01:22 PM
ROLFLAMO!!! I gotta remember that one the next time Trollfighter trys to start a flame war! :D

My princaple style is Kung Fu, with a little bit of this and that. I also like to roll when I can find a sparring partner, though my technique in that area is becomming or of a fairly effective mess than any given style.

qiphlow
10-17-2006, 03:55 PM
yang taijiquan since 1997, with the tiniest bit of choy li fut thrown into the mix since about 2000 or so.:D

The Xia
10-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Interesting way of looking at the words. This is true if someone becomes a "master of one" complete style.

SifuAbel
10-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Funny, no outraged clamor over my post. There must be a shortage.

SevenStar
10-18-2006, 02:43 PM
It seems like you're the one who's trolling...

sihing
10-18-2006, 04:46 PM

I don't agree..:D The question is, is there one MA system in the world today that is totally complete (i.e. highly functional in all aspects of the Martial Arts, kicking/punching/trapping/clinchin/grappling). If not, then only the rare few with great talent and dedication can be said to a "master of all the trades". Of course there are those rare individuals in todays world, but they are one in 10 million IMO.

James

Ravenshaw
10-18-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm practicing san shou most actively right now, along with BSL. Trying to get back into WT and may join an MMA gym in Sacramento soon... we'll see.

I practice what I enjoy. I enjoy sparring and consider it essential and the most intense sparring happens to be found (usually) in the sport fighting schools. So there you have it.

CMA is still the most interesting to me and has the most enjoyable forms.

David Jamieson
10-18-2006, 07:47 PM
In specialization, tere is no such thing as "complete". Complete is only in context to the specialty. Now you can have a batch of specialties, but do those comprise "complete".

There is no such thing as a complete fighting art except in context to that art in and of itself.

with the exception of pressing the button that completes a martial action completely.

sihing
10-18-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm practicing san shou most actively right now, along with BSL. Trying to get back into WT and may join an MMA gym in Sacramento soon... we'll see.

I practice what I enjoy. I enjoy sparring and consider it essential and the most intense sparring happens to be found (usually) in the sport fighting schools. So there you have it.

CMA is still the most interesting to me and has the most enjoyable forms.

I think something important has been stated here. Ravenshaw "Enjoys" what he is practicing. Most of us practice the arts we enjoy, and do activities associated with that art that we enjoy (sparring, forms, weapons, etc..). That is a large factor that influences what we do and why we do it.

For me, maybe due to the media and such, I've always liked the chinese arts. I like the history, the stories, the movies and the practical concepts behind the art. I also appreciate other arts forms that are non chinese, mostly because they are practical or allow us to gain skills to make us more effective fighters.

James

golden arhat
10-19-2006, 01:51 AM
great phase
i practice mma/valetudo and wushu i did hung gar for 2 years so i have a base in that

SilverNeedle
10-20-2006, 10:05 AM
I only practice Northern Shaolin but I will try non chinese MA in the future, I'm interested in BJJ.