PDA

View Full Version : Lei Tai 擂台 raised fighting platform

ghostexorcist
10-17-2006, 04:49 AM
I wrote an article about the raised fighting stage on wikipedia some time ago. It’s a good start, but it still needs work. The “history” section is almost nonexistent. There is more information available about it from 1928 to present. I would like to find info that is prior to the Qing Dynasty.

Here is the url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leitai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leitai)

Anyway, I’ve added info about Sanshou fights, but I need to add a section on Guoshu in Taiwan (I realize these are the same things except for slightly different rules). I would like to comment on all of the lei tai bouts held in Taiwan during the 50’s and even the infamous one in ’86 when they only used “gardening gloves” for protection and there were NO weight classes! I have the information but I’ve just been too lazy to add it yet.

Again, my biggest concern is the history of the Lei Tai. According to one Guoshu website, the Lei Tai (under a different name and appearance) was used by soldiers in the Qin Dynasty to hold Jiao Di (modern day Shuai Jiao) contests. The winners would either become bodyguards to the Emperor or martial instructors to the armed forces.

Here is the url: http://www.kuoshu.co.uk/History%20-%20SJ.htm (http://www.kuoshu.co.uk/History%20-%20SJ.htm)

I’ve contacted the organization who made these claims and they said that it was translated from an ancient Shuai Jiao text by the Martial arts dept. of the University of Chinese Culture in Taipei, Taiwan. The person who replied said that the stage had gone through many reincarnations from its days in the Qin Dynasty. From this statement, I deduced the fighting platform of the Qin Dynasty was used for military examinations, but, over time, filtered down into the civilian quarter and was used to host exhibition matches. I sent them a question in regards to my educated guess and they later forwarded it to their main researcher. I have yet to receive a reply from him. I think that I should contact the university itself for confirmation on this matter before I add anything like this to the article.

I’ve chatted with several people on the China History Forum that believe this “ancient Shuai Jiao text” was mistranslated. They don’t believe the wrestling stage used by the soldiers was a Lei Tai.

I would like some feedback on this article. And if at all possible, I would like some additional material on the “Pre-Qing Dynasty” history of this stage. Thanks.

SPJ
10-17-2006, 07:42 AM
Just some inputs.

Wrestling or Shuai Jiao on a specified ground/area or "stage" was popular in the royal palaces during the warring states periods or pre-Qin/the first emperor/dynasty.

In Song dynasty, there were many associations/groups among civilian MA circles. Certainly a "stage" fight was common.

Lei Tai was used for show, challenge fight etc. The winning may be a bride or a position/official.

Depends on who is hosting or what the event is for.

--

The host is Tai Tzu. The challenge is usually open to everyone. Everyone may go up to the stage and challenge the host.

Sometimes are invitational fights or just 2 people fights.

The rules are presaid how/what is to win or lose or how many points/times. such as 2 wins out of three etc. point contact only etc.

And the audience will be the witness. There will be a judge/referree usually someone that is also good or knows the rules and fighting well himself.

:D

ghostexorcist
10-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Just some inputs.

Wrestling or Shuai Jiao on a specified ground/area or "stage" was popular in the royal palaces during the warring states periods or pre-Qin/the first emperor/dynasty.

In Song dynasty, there were many associations/groups among civilian MA circles. Certainly a "stage" fight was common.

Lei Tai was used for show, challenge fight etc. The winning may be a bride or a position/official.

Depends on who is hosting or what the event is for.

--

The host is Tai Tzu. The challenge is usually open to everyone. Everyone may go up to the stage and challenge the host.

Sometimes are invitational fights or just 2 people fights.

The rules are presaid how/what is to win or lose or how many points/times. such as 2 wins out of three etc. point contact only etc.

And the audience will be the witness. There will be a judge/referree usually someone that is also good or knows the rules and fighting well himself.

:D

I'm looking for even more Chinese sources, even if it envolves modern use of the Leitai. Anything will help.

I've corresponded with Mr. Ching about this article. I really wish I could have rewritten this in such a way that it would have been published in the Kung Fu magazine around the time that Huo Yuan Jia (a.k.a. Fearless) first came out in the U.S. I know watching this movie certainly contributed to me writing the article.