PDA

View Full Version : Taoist TaiChi -- what is and how different?

Kannik
07-23-2001, 05:13 AM
Good evening,

As I posted earlier, I wish to find a good Tai Chi kwoon for my parents back home (which was near Oshawa/Whitby, in Ontario). I haven't had a lot of luck--there are some in Toronto, or Peterborough, but that's a bit far out of the way for them. I did find a school in Whitby, but it is of Taoist Tai Chi (www.taoist.org). I do not know much about this style (nor what underpinnings to taoism it may have) and was wondering what information anyone can give to me, anything at all? Good, bad, similar but different?

Thanks all,

Kannik

Daniel Madar
07-23-2001, 08:59 AM
Two things from the site:

"Taoist Tai Chi was created by Master Moy using the external form of the 108 moves of Yang style Tai Chi. However, the theoretical framework, purpose and methods of training are very distinct from Yang style Tai Chi. "

"Taoist Tai Chi is not to be practiced as a martial art technique or in a competitive spirit, but rather as a means to cultivate health and to develop as a person"

Merciless is Mercy.

Kannik
07-24-2001, 10:28 PM
Cool, thanks... I had read the site, I was just looking for opinions from those more in the Tai Chi know than I, good or ill. (ie, excellent-and-all-they-promise-it-to-be or rip-off-movement-and-strange-philosophy-avoid-like-the-plague).

Kannik

Kevin Wallbridge
07-24-2001, 11:13 PM
I've posted on the late Moi Linshin's school before so I won't labour the point (well... maybe a little), but be cautious. Yes, its full of well intentioned people, yes it may better than nothing, but there are some things about the style that are not good Taijiquan.

If you are lucky you can find a group that pays attention to such details as knee alignment, though my experience has been that this is largely undiscussed. The stylistic preference for leaning the body forward is not only contrary to Taiji principles ("hold the head as if suspended..."), but it frequently leads, especially in the elderly, to overextension of the forward knee and concommitant damage to the ACL.

Another problem with the style is that people are encouraged to teach with only the most rudimentary qualifications. As before, you may be fortunate, but then again...

Moi Linshin was at best a middle level practitioner, and the cult-like deification that he has undergone is sustained by the xenophobia that is encouraged towards other styles and practitioners of Taiji (justified by the very Confucian concepts of Teacher-Pupil relations, theres some irony).

Make them the last choice.

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai

Kannik
07-30-2001, 04:49 AM
Interesting, thanks... this is the kind of first-hand info that is good to discover. Anyone else have any similar or contrasting experiences?

Kannik

EARTH DRAGON
07-30-2001, 06:01 AM
I will have to agree with kevin on what he said and add a little more , I dont like to talk about other styles or schools but we have taoist tai chi around the corner from my school and I met with the instructor when I hosted the international tai chi team from taipei taiwan. We were in the middle of a discussion and he asked what chi felt like! I laughed outloud thinking he was kidding, but after I saw the look on his face I felt stupid about not realizing he was unaware! He said their tai chi is for health and excersize only and does not pay much attention to the meaning or essence of tai chi. I'm not saying that every school is like this but at least for this particular school it is more like a seinor citizens type stretching workout. So just be aware of what you want out of the class to help you find a place......

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

batesy
08-01-2001, 02:57 PM
I trained with the school in Toronto for one night. Quick impressions: nice people, no pushing hands, emphasis on extension of the spine forward in almost every movement, as others have commented, no concern with protecting the knee joint.
I believe that they also have a version of bagua, does anyone have any experience of their take on that?

Kannik
08-03-2001, 02:14 AM
Well, since the school my parents are closest to is the one in Whitby, I would think the Toronto one is a good indication of how they'd be. }:/ I think I'll keep looking...

...speaking of which, if you are from around Toronto }:) do you know of any good Tai Chi schools in the Oshawa-ish area?

Kannik