PDA

View Full Version : The Northern / Southern Style Controversy

Citong Shifu
10-18-2006, 07:50 AM
I would like to take a minute and discuss the age old controversy between the northern and southern styles of kungfu (shaolin and non-shaolin arts). It has always been said/explained that northern styles utilize higher stances and concentrate on high kicking. Where as, southern styles focus on lower stances with the emphasize on hands & low kicks. In additional to this, it is also explained the northern styles emphasize fast flowery movements while southern styles focus on a strong root and powerful stable movements... The list could go on, but I would like to start by addressing the above mentioned examples. As long as I can remember, these differences have always been the primary focus and debated between styles... Now, lol, I have always been trained that all CMA regardless of northern / southern are universal in methods, etc.. I have also been told, and this has stuck with me for many years, that a style (regardless of origin) only becomes limited due to its practitioner/s or lack of knowledge of said practitioner/s...

Ok, I'll get on with this post :D . The diiferences between styles listed above are not differences at all, or wasn't at one time. Over time and definition of said styles, they have become what they are today. I want to also mention that alot of time is wasnt just the lack of knowledge that limited ones art, but the master's decision to only focus on one method (high instead of low, kicking instead of punching. etc). Anywho, it really p!sses me off to hear all the mumbo jumbo about we dont do this or that because we are northern or southern, etc.

I'm sure most of you already know, but for those who dont, i will quickly explain this subject... Back in the day or old day. CMA practitioners of any style could execute his movements in high and low posture, they could use their hands just as well as their feet, they could jump (acrobatics, etc), they would kick high, middle, & low. All practitioner trained to develop speed, power, flexibilty, stability, root, qi, etc... Regardles if it was a shaolin man, hung gar man, wing chun man, etc, they were well trained in the diversity of movments and fighting. The practitioners that were limited in their training didnt last long with the real masters of universal training and its methods...

I would like to put alot of these issues put to rest and the real wisdom of the CMA brought out. What do you guys think about this? Do you agree or not? Why?

There are many more differences that can be explained between northern / southern, but lets start with the most common. Let me know what you guys believe, universal or modern one style, one way...

CS.

golden arhat
10-18-2006, 11:47 AM
i think that there are too many generalisations about northern and southern styles i mean look at wing chun ...horse stance ? dont think so
there are unnessescary movements in both