PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi and Heart

popsider
07-23-2001, 04:04 PM
Does anyone know whether tai chi might be harmful or beneficial to someone who is recovering from a mildish heart attack? I am talking about the night school type tai chi classes rather than schools teaching it as a martial art. If anyone really does have experience of this I would be very grateful to hear about it.

Fish of Fury
07-23-2001, 04:21 PM
i know there's a guy called Paul Lam who teaches tai chi for health type stuff in Australia, and i believe he actually has an official program with at least one hospital specifically for people recovering from CVD/heart attacks etc.
so i'm guessing it may well help (but obviously check with individual teachers, and make sure the doctor approves mild exercise)

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

passingthru
07-23-2001, 06:25 PM
I read your post, and looked at your profile. You're a young man, and have trained for 3 years. Not asking for personal info, but I think it is important for you to know what the nature of your heart condition is. Are we talking about a gradual return to full training? Yes, I mean it. What would it take for you to feel healthy enough for that? Is it possible? I think your doc's thoughts on this, and maybe even other opinions, are necessary for you to cull.

If it's one of those "you need to have regular checkups, but it's up to you" situations, then you have more leeway. I have heard of Paul Lam, and he sounds like a good resource.

Personally, I think that T'ai Chi would be fine during your rehab. if your doc approves, and if you have a very good teacher, who will pay particular attention to energy flow.

take care and be well,

passingthru

popsider
07-24-2001, 11:11 AM
No it isn't me but it is a member of my family that has had a heart attack. She also practices tai chi (totally different school to me). The doctors have said it is fine for her to continue but you wonder if doctors really know what tai chi is. She has been recommended light exercise but tai chi is different to walking etc.

count
07-24-2001, 03:18 PM
Tai Chi is good for the heart and good for recovery. I knew a teacher who had valve surgery and started doing Tai Chi in the recovery room with the IV still in his arm. I am no doctor but I would say if a person has already been doing tai chi for exercise that resuming tai chi will do only good for her recovery. Be sensible though. I couldn't see any full contact for a while. ;)

Count

Kabooom.com (http://kabooom.com)

Chi Kung International (http://chikungintl.com)

Gluteus Maximus
07-24-2001, 04:38 PM
Hi Popsider,

I read an article a couple of years ago that mentioned a Tai Chi Master in China who only started doing Tai Chi in his early 60s following a heart attack. It was the first martial art hed ever pracised. He took it up to help with his recovery and liked it and went on to become a Sifu in his 70s. From memory, he was still teaching well into his 80s when the article was written.

Max

To know the unseen, you must first learn to see.