PDA

View Full Version : Job Problems

Royal Dragon
10-20-2006, 02:04 AM
So, I started this new job Monday. Seems great, more pay, nice people, good bennifits and such.

It's a damage appraisal postion in a bodyshop.

BIG problem though.

My desk is by the paint booth. The paint booth has some sort of problem in which the paint fumes come POURING out of th booth doors and fill up the shop area right around my desk. I'm basically getting stoned on a daily basis....I come home tired, and exaughsted. I am too messed up to even do basic Qi Gong or Tai Chi, I just collapse on the couch.......

For those that don't know, automotive paint (especially the clear coat) is an extremely toxic and dangerous substance. According to the material safety data sheets it causes all sorts of heath concerns such as lung disorders, and severe nervous system damage over the long term. The painter must wear a full body suit, and use a **Fresh air supplied resperator** to spray this paint. The old fashioned charcoal filterd ones don't work for this stufff. It's that toxic...especially over long term exposure.

I spoke to my new employer about it, and I got a "Deer" in the headlite reaction, and some vauge blow off responses. I thought that wierd. They were aware of the problem, by thier own admission it appears to be long term, but nothing has been done about it as of yet.

In talking to the other employees, it has been a long term issue. Several have complained about it in the past, but nothing was ever done. One of my co workers stated that management's bounuses are tied to shop profitablity, and the repairs on the booth would directly effect thier bounus, so they don't do anything about it.

Basically, they know, and just don't care.

So, now what do i do? Call OSHA?

Oh, one more little thing to throw into the boiling quagmire. A friend of mine is well respected in this company. He basically pushed to get me hired, and even used his influance to get me a higher starting pay. I never actually interviewed at this location, i was interviewed and was hired at HIS location. His superiors assigned me to where I am at because it is the closest location to my house.

So first day on the job, I walk in to meet my new boss. I knew, I knew him from somewhere, but could not place it. Later that morning he came to me and asked if I had ever worked for him before. I told him he did not look familiar. He then went on to "Jog" my memory. It turns out I HAD worked for him in the past....about 14 years ago.

This is how I lost that job:

In that job, I had a quitting time of 5:00PM. One day we had a car that had to go, the customer was in the office waiting, and they wanted me to stay late to finnish assembling it. I could not because my wife had school, and I had to be home right after work to watch my daughter. It was in the days before cell phones, and I had to be at daycare to pick her up by 6:00 at the latest (I worked 45-50 minutes from daycare at the time). My wife was already on her way to school, with no way to contact her. I explained this and was told in a very condecending voice;

"Well, if your *Daughter* is more important to you than your *Job*, I guess you can go then." I will never forget that line as long as I live. It's burned into my brain in crystal clarity because I could not believe he said something like that.

I did go, I had no choice really, but felt really nervous inside about it becasue of his tone of voice. It was with good reason, the next day this guy fired me over it..... He of course made up some lame excuse and all, but the real reason was the fact that I left the job with a customer waiting in the office for thier car.

So, here I am now in a really bad spot, and the SAME guy who fired me over child care issues 14 (or so) years ago, is in charge of repairng the booth, and ultimately he's in charge of my health at this point....what do I do?

CFT
10-20-2006, 04:06 AM
Surely your health is paramount? If you don't have your health you have nothing; you can't even look for a new job, hint hint.

It's a shame that they don't take health & safety issues seriously, and it sounds like you have trouble coming your way with the ex-boss. He sounds like he is someone who holds a grudge, nevermind the neanderthal attitude to parenting.

I'd expect your friend to understand. Why f*ck up your health when you still have a family to support?

auntie
10-20-2006, 04:54 AM
I agree.
Accept now that you are not going to be in that job for long; either you will leave because of their unacceptable laxness on H and S or you will end up with health problems and be off sick long term (and if that guy still has the same attitude he'll sack you again.) The question becomes whether you want to fight them over this, bringing in whatever is the US equivilant of our Health and Safety Commission, which could result in improvements to the workplace/compensation payouts etc ........ eventually, but also damage your employment prospects elsewhere in the trade.
Whichever, look for another job soonest, your health is more important.
I suggest putting your concerns in writing, when they do nothing quit as soon as you can, then either chalk it up to experience or sue the b******s for constructive dismissal.

MasterKiller
10-20-2006, 06:23 AM
Drama Queen.

David Jamieson
10-20-2006, 06:45 AM
lol.

if your daughter si more improtant than your job. ? really? someone said that? cause that's the most retarded question ever. lol, i mean, "duh!" of course the child is more important. what kind of sadists do you work for?

anyway, grab one of the breathing apparati from the painters. wear it at your desk. problem solved. maybe, just maybe they'll get tired of gasmask man sitting around dealing with customers and deal with the issue.

In canada we have a place called workplace health and safety. this organization would basically order the company to fix the problem or be fined. the fine would exceed the cost of repairs. we also have labour rights organizations and so on.

what sort of system do you have in place near you taht protects workers from this sort of thing? I would also speak to your management and tell them what the issue is and at the very least, move your desk away from the booth to a place where the lacquer is not affecting you. I'm sure there's a resolution that you're just not seeing that would be favourable to all concerned.

KC Elbows
10-20-2006, 06:52 AM
Sorry to hear that, RD.

As for the jerk there, that reminds me of an Onion editorial I saw once, titled "There is no "my kid has cancer" in "team"".

David Jamieson
10-20-2006, 07:24 AM
Sorry to hear that, RD.

As for the jerk there, that reminds me of an Onion editorial I saw once, titled "There is no "my kid has cancer" in "team"".

lol, yeah, that article actually said a lot about the current workplace attitudes of middle managers.

BoulderDawg
10-20-2006, 08:25 AM
You've only been in this job a week.

It will be no great loss to just go in on monday morning and tell the guys your health is too important and you are going to have to find another job and that you will only work a notice if they move you to another location. Considering the reaction you got when you broached the subject the first time I think they'll just nod their heads and say "Okay".

brothernumber9
10-20-2006, 08:43 AM
wow, you are in a bit of a pinch. My first thought was definitely tell OSHA. They will actually take reports "anonymously". However I don't know if that would automatically finger you. At least talk to your buddy that hooked you up there, tell him your concern and fear and see what he says. If you have a window by your desk, perhaps you could get one of those old Davey Jones Locker dive helmets with the air tube and hang it out the window, and breathe that.

gwa sow
10-20-2006, 08:48 AM
being the smartass that i am, i like the gas mask at your desk idea hehe:p or if you can find an oxygen tank with a mask that would work also

Royal Dragon
10-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Well, the paint fumes were light today, so I feel more like my normal self. Of course on Fridays cars are mostly being assembled, not painted.

I really don't have a window, i have a metal bench with all the computers on it and a stool out in the shop by the booth. It cannot, and won't be moved.

I snapped a photo or two of the seals on the paint booth doors by my desk. It does not show as much as I had hoped, as I was useing the shop camera. BUT even as undefined as this shot is, you cna clearly see how the panters have attempted to seal the door better by jambing masking tape into the seams of the door. You can also see how jagged the seal is. You cannot see enough detail to see this is due to age and dryrot though. Although, you can see chunks of bad seal sticking out all hap hazard from one seem.

As I left work today I made a stop in the main office to fax a parts order in before I left for the day. The management were all laughing, and joking and making fun of one of the body techs because he is a Russian Imigrent. Thye were insulting his intelegance, and making fun of his accent, and acting like they were the bee's knees over thier superiority. It really ****ed me off, but I said nothing, because I am stuck here right now. No job, no rent or food money.....

The russian guy just took the abuse, and then went back into the shop to finnish his car.

The really ironic part is that this russian guy seems in good shape. he walks like he might have some sort of MA training in his past, or maybe gymnastics. The "ridiculers" are fat, and doghy at best. Except the guy who fired me many years ago. he's still fat, but his gut is rather solid, and hard. he has a lot of dougnuts densly packed under his shirt.

I think the russain guy would kill both of them if he ever felt like fighting it out.

When i brought up the booth, and started asking questions about it, I was ignored.

In the mean time, I'm looking for another job. As soon as I have one, i am getting the villiage inspector's, and OSHA in there.

FuXnDajenariht
10-20-2006, 06:31 PM
i would tell him to make improvements or call the Better Business Bureau on his ass. you shouldn't have to compromise for your health. at the end of the day thats the only asset you have as a worker that counts. you shouldn't take it lightly. if your health starts failing you, having a job at all is pretty much a non-issu like someone already mentioned. i learned that the hard way from my many trips to the hospital.

your a$$h0le boss is guaranteed to make you life alil more difficult if you report him but it should calm down after a while. if you dont wanna deal with that though i suggest you find a new gig quick.

and about the racist remarks. if your exposed to that now, imagine the things to come. for me that alone would of made me debate staying there. it might really suck working there around that type of crowd in the long run.

BoulderDawg
10-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Well....personally if it was me I would just leave. This sounds like a situation that sooner or later is going to turn very, very ugly.

As far as the racism goes: I don't see it. Have you never been around or been in a group of workers? Hell I have and we would make fun of people's accent, intelligence....mother:D That's the way it is.

Royal Dragon
10-20-2006, 08:52 PM
These guys were just brutal though. I culd care less. I've been in shops of various types my whole life. Those two are not the worst i have seen, but they are bad enough to make me ill.

Royal Dragon
10-20-2006, 08:53 PM
The better buissness bureo is a powerless organisation. It would be an empty threat. Finding a new job is the order of the day i think.

Also, I don't threaten people generally. I am more of a chess player. I wait untill I have all my pieces in place. if I were to do something like that, I'd wait untill I had a new job lined up, and then I would tell them they have 48 hours to get the booth fixed or face the consequences. If not, then any controlling power avalaible would be set to pounce. I wouldn't even make the ultimatum before those controlling poweres were already in on the game though.

FuXnDajenariht
10-20-2006, 09:21 PM
well your prolly right bout the BBB. but theres bound to be some government agency that you can use. im pretty sure its illegal to fire someone for tattlin' on their employers about a genuine complaint.

Royal Dragon
10-21-2006, 06:08 AM
Yes, it is illegal to do that, but they can place unrealistic expectaions on me, set em up to fail, and then fire me for that.....I've seen it happen to other guys in the buisness who have complained about similar things in the past.