PDA

View Full Version : The "no ego" mma competitor: real or no?

KC Elbows
10-20-2006, 07:36 AM
This got mentioned in another thread, thought I'd split it off.

I've seen a number of guys mention that they felt competition was a good ego killer. In theory, I fully agree. It might be hard to hold an ego when defeat was always at hand.

However, this doesn't pan out for many in reality. Honestly, some of the people with the most screwed up lives have the hugest egos around: if defeat, in any form, was a guaranteed ego reducer, this would not be the case, but it often is.

My opinion is that there are a number of LEVEL HEADED guys who compete and become more humble by it, win or lose. They are in a team, and want to see their buds do well, they think of helping them out, they give their opponents props and so forth.

I would hardly call this majority, but I will say it probably seems like the majority to them, because, and this is important, if being on this fight team is a source of ego for others on it, they wouldn't display that ego in it's most negative sense to others on that fight team, they would reserve it for outsiders. So, of course, all the fighters you personally know are cool, to them, you are one of them.

Just heard this last night. A friend was out shopping, was wearing her husband's sweatshirt from a kung fu club he was in years ago, a club that took challenges and had a good reputation. A guy walks up to her, confronts her about doing kung fu, tells her it's all crap, that he does mma, competes, and that's what real fighters do, anything else is a joke. Does she do any martial arts? No. She does yoga and has kids and a life. Why would he confront a stranger, a woman no less, who he knows nothing about except that she's wearing a kung fu sweatshirt? Ego. Why the proselytizing? Because she wasn't "on the team."

Honestly, while TV messes with the behavior, the ultimate fighter series is full of guys who have ego problems, and a couple who don't. TV doesn't create an ego problem, it exacerbates it, period. There's really no arguing that they don't have an ego problem.

Anyway, my point is, like in everything, competition can lead to self actualization if one concentrates on self actualization. If one doesn't, there you go. And I would suggest that those who don't believe me tell any mma they meet that they do tai chi, make no claim whether you can fight or not with it, and you will, in a heartbeat, be able to see which ones have control of their egos and which ones don't.

MasterKiller
10-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Just heard this last night. A friend was out shopping, was wearing her husband's sweatshirt from a kung fu club he was in years ago, a club that took challenges and had a good reputation. A guy walks up to her, confronts her about doing kung fu, tells her it's all crap, that he does mma, competes, and that's what real fighters do, anything else is a joke. Does she do any martial arts? No. She does yoga and has kids and a life. Why would he confront a stranger, a woman no less, who he knows nothing about except that she's wearing a kung fu sweatshirt? Ego. Why the proselytizing? Because she wasn't "on the team."

A Judo guy confronted my wife at a gas station because I had a kung fu club bumper sticker on the car, giving her pretty much the same song and dance you described.

It was completely uncalled for and scared the sh1t out of her.

Apparently, competition hadn't humbled this guy, either.

Water Dragon
10-20-2006, 08:29 AM
martial arts draws it's share of egos. What do you think fuels most of the arguments on discussion boards? But there's some real good people involved too. That's just how it is.

KC Elbows
10-20-2006, 08:33 AM
A Judo guy confronted my wife at a gas station because I had a kung fu club bumper sticker on the car, giving her pretty much the same song and dance you described.

It was completely uncalled for and scared the sh1t out of her.

Apparently, competition hadn't humbled this guy, either.

Exactly. Other mmaists of a more reasonable bent don't see this, because they're "one of them", and so are not subject to the same behavior.

The fact is that in both tma and mma, there is a host of morons who spend an inordinate amount of time declaring that everyone else sucks when they know nothing except what their teacher taught them, minus what they forgot.

Water Dragon
10-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Exactly. Other mmaists of a more reasonable bent don't see this, because they're "one of them", and so are not subject to the same behavior.

The fact is that in both tma and mma, there is a host of morons who spend an inordinate amount of time declaring that everyone else sucks when they know nothing except what their teacher taught them, minus what they forgot.

minus what they just plain misunderstood.

David Jamieson
10-20-2006, 08:59 AM
martial arts has plenty of egoists in any and all it's variations.

be they kungfu guys who are close minded and on a high horse about their rank, to judo, karate, tkd what have you guys who think the same.

overinflated sense of self and insecurity complexes extend to all people in some way shape or form.

the world would be a VERY different place if they didn't.

Being Level headed is a good way to be, but it's not always goingto be like that. People who are impassive to most stuff and maintain level headedness i all situations are simply not that common.

again, if they were, the world would be a hugely different place.

competitive environments do not lend themselves very well to people that have small egos. If they were low level egos, then why are they competing? It is contrar to the format and my experience is that you'll find it everywhere no mater what people are doing.

KC Elbows
10-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Let me clarify.

I'm not arguing that there isn't ego everywhere.

I'm also not saying that one cannot learn to overcome ego through sport fighting. I think if someone were there because they loved testing their skill, not because of trophies to an inordinate amount, and did not make excuses for losing or downplay the wins of opponents, this would do wonders.

I'm solely saying that I think many of those in mma who do find it helps them overcome ego project their own good qualities onto other mma competitors because they are unaware of what tards they can be, because, if you are "one of them", they don't display their full tardedness to you. I think the original discussion, about ultimate fighter the show, shows this well: the premise that TV is more likely to bring out someone's ego than being able to physically subjugate another person is pretty thin.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-20-2006, 11:18 AM
I would hardly call this majority, but I will say it probably seems like the majority to them, because, and this is important, if being on this fight team is a source of ego for others on it, they wouldn't display that ego in it's most negative sense to others on that fight team, they would reserve it for outsiders. So, of course, all the fighters you personally know are cool, to them, you are one of them.

i dunno man ... i hear what youre saying, but a diickhead is a diickhead and that will usually bleed over one way or another .... and no one likes a diickhead. while it might not get him kicked off the team in most cases i'd bet that the team is well aware of the fact.

MasterKiller
10-20-2006, 11:21 AM
i dunno man ... i hear what youre saying, but a dickhead is a ****head and that will usually bleed over one way or another and no one likes a ****head. while it might not get him kicked off the team in most cases i'd bet that the team is well aware of the fact.

There is a difference when he's "your ****head" as opposed to "their ****head."

Everyone has a friend that no one else likes, but you stick up for anyway. And if you don't have one, then you are THAT guy no one else likes.

SifuAbel
10-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Its all bullshido's fault......... :D j/k

....I think.......:confused:

5Animals1Path
10-20-2006, 01:41 PM
I don't think competition is what directly changes you. Competition itself brings out your personality, "amplifies" it, sort of. Some people see the way they are, and change. Some people get a whole lot worse. Some people stay the same. *shrugs*

It's across the board, mma, football, golf. It's all in how you take it.

Merryprankster
10-20-2006, 04:56 PM
KC Elbows,

I don't think I've ever quite said what you are saying.

What I HAVE said is that you can't be the very best you can be without being "egoless."

How good you can be is going to depend from person to person.

Some people are so talented, they can stomp the competition regardless. They might not be as good as they can be, but they are good enough to beat everybody else!

Ravenshaw
10-20-2006, 05:52 PM
People who spar, particularly at a competition level, are generally better fighters than those who don't. The stereotype of kung fu is that we do forms and meditate... hardcore fight training isn't part of most individuals' vision of kung fu. Those that spar and compete, win or lose, feel justified in their superior attitudes toward us.

Maybe the guys that are the biggest jerks about it are the ones that do lose... they need to feel bigger than somebody. :(

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-20-2006, 09:12 PM
There is a difference when he's "your ****head" as opposed to "their ****head."

Everyone has a friend that no one else likes, but you stick up for anyway. And if you don't have one, then you are THAT guy no one else likes.

YOUR MOM IS THAT GUY NO ONE ELSE LIKES!!!!

FuXnDajenariht
10-20-2006, 09:31 PM
.overinflated sense of self and insecurity complexes extend to all people in some way shape or form.

the world would be a VERY different place if they didn't.

Being Level headed is a good way to be, but it's not always goingto be like that. People who are impassive to most stuff and maintain level headedness i all situations are simply not that common.

i agree. everyone would practically have to be Gandhi for it not to be the case. probably exactly why peoples personalities also goes by the name "Ego"

KC Elbows
10-20-2006, 11:02 PM
KC Elbows,

I don't think I've ever quite said what you are saying.

What I HAVE said is that you can't be the very best you can be without being "egoless."

How good you can be is going to depend from person to person.

Some people are so talented, they can stomp the competition regardless. They might not be as good as they can be, but they are good enough to beat everybody else!

I agree, and my basic argument was sort of an amalgam of statements related to ones you made, but also as often interpreted by others. I especially like the part about needing to be egoless to be the best you can be.

Anthony
10-21-2006, 05:10 AM
"The fact is that in both tma and mma, there is a host of morons who spend an inordinate amount of time declaring that everyone else sucks when they know nothing except what their teacher taught them, minus what they forgot."

Just to add something, I think this begins with many teachers who, throughout a students training, constantly put down other schools/instructors as "not doing it right." So much for MA instilling confidence. I personally have always stayed away from wearing any MA related logos or clothing in public. Simply because I don't want any weirdos approaching me with their BS. In High School this was especially true. I stayed away from telling anyone that I was studying Karate because I knew dam.n well that insecure guys would challenge me in one way or another (verbally or physically). Who needs it. In the adult world it's no different. I say "guys" because I think that we generally have this insecure/macho quality where if we see someone wearing a MA t-shirt, we immediately size them up as in "I could kick his a.ss"......or whatever.

Also, I don't think competition has much to do with ego. Competition is a part of all aspects of life. Youre either a d.ick or youre not.