PDA

View Full Version : Are you your brother's keeper?

KC Elbows
10-20-2006, 09:29 AM
I could do this as a poll, but I won't bother.

CMAists, if a tma practitioner spouts things they obviously have no experience in, are you responsible for correcting him or her, whether or not you do the same style of CMA?

MMAists, if a mma practitioner spouts off things they clearly have no experience in, are you responsible for correcting their behavior, whether or not you practice the same styles?

Dark Knight
10-20-2006, 09:52 AM
It depends on their attitude.

Someone who is a jerk, they need to corrected.

Also depends on what they are saying, some things they will learn from experience and you let them.

David Jamieson
10-20-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't know if we are responsible for correction, but rather it may be helpful to help them to understand.

For more intangible things, I think it is best to let people believe what it is they believe. There is no consequence in letting that be.

FatherDog
10-20-2006, 10:04 AM
MMAists, if a mma practitioner spouts off things they clearly have no experience in, are you responsible for correcting their behavior, whether or not you practice the same styles?

I don't know if I'd say I'm responsible for doing so, but I certainly try to.

SevenStar
10-20-2006, 10:08 AM
I'm an only child :D

nah, seriously, when I was in CMA, I did this. some of the guys I trained with said things like "boxers have no skill, they just stand there and slug eachother" - I corrected that really quick, because others heard him say it, and they didn't need to adopt that same stupid view. He no longer thinks that way.

In mma I've never had to do it. matter of factly, my first day there, they thought it was cool that I had trained kung fu. they WANTED to see it. And their exact words were, "if you can make it work, it's cool with us," which is the view they have on MA.

David Jamieson
10-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Well, I've had mma guys tell me this won't work or that won't work and you gotta do this or you gotta do that. And when it does work, it's written off as chance or you knew what was coming.

I've also experienced this from trad folks.

I agree, what works for you is what works for you but that doesn't mean someone else will be able to make it work. Fighters come in all sorts of different flavours and express their ability in all sorts of ways, some quite orthodox and some really unorthodox.

I find that in early outtings, unorthodox fighters tend to do well until their opponents bump hip to what they're doing and incorporate training to counter it.

Brings to mind the boxer prince nasim (sp?) who used a highly unorthodox style of boxing such as sitting in a pretty low stance akin to a horse and using big swing punches.

Once people learned to counter his meat and potatoes, he faded quickly. I wonder if he recalibrated after that, Im not sure, haven't heard much about him though.

Another one was Mike Tyson who won through his over the top aggression time and again. terrific displays of sheer power and skill, but once he had to deal with guys who weren't impressed with that and plodded along using the mechanics of boxing, he got chipped away at and chipped away at until eventually, he is where he is now. And at the top of the game, we see a return to the orthodoxy and we haven't seen that type of Tyson aggression from others yet although, Im pretty sure we will see it again eventually.

the more orthodox fighters plod along and remain at the upper classes for longer.

Chief Fox
10-20-2006, 10:37 AM
NO! people need to be responsible for themselves, their actions and the stupid things that they sometimes say.

For example if I see a kung fu practitioner poping off to a bunch of MMA folk about how deadly his groin strikes and eye gouges are. I'll say nothing. Now if those same MMA folk start to beat on the kung fu practitioner I will simply hop in my car and run them all over repeatedly. Problem solved.

KC Elbows
10-20-2006, 11:03 AM
And if so, are you his keeper online as well?:D

Especially considering that I know that a good number of the more ridiculous tma characters on certain forums are not tmaists, I don't bother, and I assume the same with the mma morons who I don't directly know are as moronic as they play themselves to be.

I think that, at least online, most reasonable folks ignore the morons in their camp, but occasionally allow them their illusions because it aggravates people that it's fun to see aggravated. This is about as true for tmaists as mmaists, in my exprience. Regardless of style, most forum members are not the height of their respective styles. I, of course, am the exception, as I can pull jumbo jets with my goods.

SevenStar
10-20-2006, 11:16 AM
And if so, are you his keeper online as well?:D

Ha! I was waiting for that to come.

I, of course, am the exception, as I can pull jumbo jets with my goods.

I've done that as well.

KC Elbows
10-20-2006, 11:22 AM
And, assuming one is using a competition experience to self actualize and overcome the ego, what is the difference between this and practicing other techniques alongside their fighting to self improve, things like buddhism and taoism?

In otherwords, aren't all the guys you've known who were good fighters and good guys very actively being good in both senses? Does one practice necessarily preclude the other? If I cannot expect to fight well and involve taoist practices in that, what other aspects of life should I exclude in order to be just a fighter? In otherwords, if meditation takes away training time, what about work, doing the checkbook, seeing a movie once a week, etc.

Can one go to church and be a fighter who is christian even while in the ring?

Further, just to complete early MP's favorite part of any thread, is Shamrock playing Albert Speers to Tito Ortiz's Goebbels in the Ubber FC?

sunfist
10-20-2006, 10:32 PM
If i resolved to correct all the stupid people in the world id have no time left to be awesome.

Royal Dragon
10-21-2006, 06:03 AM
WOW Sunfist, that's going in my Sig!

sunfist
10-22-2006, 02:10 AM
much obliged my dear fellow