PDA

View Full Version : Question for "Firehawk"

8stepbeginner
10-20-2006, 05:15 PM
Dear Firehawk,

I read your past e-mail on "old" Hung Kuen with interest. Am I to understand you were saying that Dragon style kung fu has some sort of history with non mainstream(ie: old/ village) Hung? Thanks.

8SB

Ao Qin
10-20-2006, 07:22 PM
:) I'm not Firehawk, but here is my two cents...

I believe all the "dragon" found in the southern (and perhaps northern) arts is the "internal" / chi gung (ying) method allegedly developed by the Buddhist nun Ng Mui - today found in Hung Gar (iron thread), Wing Chun (siu lum tao?) Choy Lee Fut forms, etc. Of the five animals, Dragon is considered the internal method.

"Dragon Style" (Lung Ying as promoted by LYK), is a recently developed external Hakka art (short hand fighting style), strongly influenced by the principles of the "internal" art of Siu Lum Dragon (chi gung). So much so that the newly created method was named in honour of this method of movement / style of physical self-actualization.

ta - aq

Firehawk4
10-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Most of my information comes from Mantis108 s forum website and his writings and some from sifu Wong Kiew Kitts writings from his answers and questions website .

Firehawk4
10-20-2006, 08:14 PM
I believe it had to do with some old style that is called Huquan some old flower system of kung fu that they say is related to Chi Sim Weng Chun and Lung Ying Dragon style and Hung Kun .

8stepbeginner
10-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Thank you both for the replies..

I must admit..though it is a fairly recent addition to my KF vocabulary..I am not sure what "Weng" Chun is..

Am I to understand it is Wing Chun with a different pronunciation? Such as calling Choy Li Fut.."Tsai Li For"?

If not..what is Weng Chun specifically?

Firehawk4
10-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Weng Chun is called Chi Sim Weng Chun it is a different kind of Weng Chun or Wing Chun than the kind that comes from Yip Man it has different types of forms such as Sam Bai Fut , Weng Chun 11 hands , Fa Kuan , Jong Kuan , and other forms where Wing Chun has Sui Lien Tao , Chum Kiu , and Bill Jee . But these arts are related Chi Sim Weng Chun comes from Dai Fa Min Kam from the Red Boat Opera company in the 1800 s in Kwangtung province China .

Firehawk4
10-21-2006, 06:16 PM
http://www.weng-chun.com/