PDA

View Full Version : Park Bok-Nam Study Group in Chicago

SBonzak
07-27-2001, 01:53 AM
My name is Steve Bonzak and I am interested in starting a study group with Park Bok-nam in Chicago. I live on the near north-side of the city and was wondering if anyone in this group would be interested in joining me in studying with Park. At first I was thinking we could get together about one time per week, and if their is more interest we could meet more. You can post to the group or contact me in private if you wish.

Sincerely,
Steve

Water Dragon
07-27-2001, 06:23 PM
I'm kinda caught up right now, but who knows. Most of the people I work with are always down for new stuff. At the least I'd like to see/feel the art. I've always been intrigued by it.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

Anthroman
07-28-2001, 05:06 AM
I might be interested in getting together with such a group. What type of things do you hope to do/accomplish with this group?
Anthroman

SBonzak
07-29-2001, 03:06 AM
Hey Anthro-

Thanks for expressing interest in participating. But since there are no other people in the group, there is no "we" - only what I hope to accomplish. Hopefully as more people become interested a "we" can begin to take shape.

First and foremost I hope to develop the structure and mechanics necessary to deliver the whipping strikes of bagua, as taught by Sifu Park, in fighting situations. The bagua I had practiced before had some great grappling and qin na but no focus on middle range fighting and absolutely no strikes. I felt this was lacking so I looked up Sifu Park, liked what I saw, and decided to train with him.

I really appreciate Sifu Park's ability to explain the why of everything he teaches and the training sequence really highlights a lot of the details that are otherwise left hidden by many teaching today. People can have skill and be good fighters, but they may not necessarily know how to train other people.

I also really appreciate the qigong aspect of what Sifu Park teaches as that was completely missing from my other bagua teacher's repetoire. As I am also studying Chinese Medicine at Pacific College of OM in Chicago, this has been invaluable information.

And Water Dragon-
As for a demo, the group in Chicago right now is one - me. So there is no class that you could come watch - I train on my own and am quite busy with school right now. But maybe we could talk some more when our schedules free up a bit.

-Steve