PDA

View Full Version : RE: Shek Kin

mickey
10-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Greetings,

Does anyone officially know whether this person is still alive? If he is, is he still in Hong Kong?

Thank you,

mickey

CLFNole
10-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Yes he is still alive and well in Hong Kong.

mickey
10-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi,

Thank you very much!

mickey

NorthernShaolin
10-24-2006, 12:06 AM
He must be in his early 90's. That really says a lot. Bet he contributes it to MA and ....?

Sow Choy
10-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Hello,

Just saw GM Shek Kin last January, visited him at his apartment in Hong Kong... Since the year 2000 he has always claimed to be 92, so I am guessing he is prob 96...

Every once in a while he won't remember something very specific, but he is still very sharp and keen... He had nerve damage in his leg so one of his legs is not functioning well, so he uses a walker or wheelchair... Doesn't leave his house much anymore...

Sucks, cause he is a kung fu man, he would love to be more mobile... He claims that during the many years in film to have slept against the wall in a bad position which caused damage to his nerves, so he reminds how important posture is and to sit up straight...

He is so full of history and great stories, and is another old schooler who talks alot about fighting more than forms... Seems to like talking about Shui Jau or however you spell it...

Joe

NorthernShaolin
10-24-2006, 11:01 AM
SC,

He has so much history. It would be great if someone could sit with him for a number of days and just write everything he says about MA, his personal experiences, his opinions, what was it like to learn verse what he sees today, etc. To get something first hand from someone who has lived during the times that we will never experience say something in itself. These old Dragons are rich in experiences and in history and we need to listen to them before they are all gone. That would be so cool to either listen or read about what they have to say.

Sow Choy
10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
NS,

If I remember correctly... GM Shek Kin was there when Ku Yu Jerng killed the horse... He told the story back in 2002 to us... and I can understand about 85-90% of what he is saying, but sometimes he uses some words and terms I am not used to...

He really respected Ku Yu Jerng's skill, and talked alot about wrestling... He is also very humble saying his kung fu was just ok, that he learned some of this and that, but some of the people he trained with... wow!

Joe

The Xia
10-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Would you mind telling the forum what Shek Kin said about the horse story?

Also, what style did Shek Kin do?

mickey
10-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Greetins All,

Thank you all for the info.

mickey

NorthernShaolin
10-25-2006, 10:07 AM
X,

This from memory and I'm sure SC can fill in the rest.

Shek Kin learned many different styles. in his early years he learned BSL (Tan T'ui, Mi Tsung and the Battle sets) from Chao Lin Ho and BSL Lo Han from Sun Yu Fung in the Jing Mo schools. These two styles he really completed his studies. During the same time while he studied at Jing Mo Association, he was introduced to Eagle Claw by Chan Tzu Cheng) and Seven Star Praying Mantis by Lo Kwong Yu. He pick up a few sets or techniques from these two styles but never completely learned it all. He also liked Chinese wrestling and knew enough to talk about it. I forgot who he learn this from.

He is well versed and also learn southern styles too. SC can correct me, but I think he also learned some Choy Li Fut. I not sure here.

Somewhere I read that he had seven differnt teachers, i.e., he learned at least seven different styles. I mention six and I think the seventh style was Mi Tsung Lo Han from Yip Yee Ting.

Funny part of it is that most people outside of TCMA world, know Sek Kin as the movie actor and his classmates used to tease him and called him the 'Bob Hope of HK, the Movie Actor'. I guess that's an inside joke between Shek Kin and his old classmates and friends who are now long departed our world.

NorthernShaolin
10-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Okay, I have to correct myself. Just prove that I can't trust my memory.

Shek Kin had six teachers:

1. Chao Lin Ho who taught him Northern Shaolin (Tan Tui, Mi Tsung and Battle sets)
2. Li Lien Ch'uan who taught him wrestling techniques of Pao Ting style of Hopei Provence.
3. Chao Kuei Lin who taught him Shangtung's Praying Mantis and Eagle Claw Style
4. Wang Yung Feng who taught him Chao Yuan Style of Kiangsi Provence. He also taught him the saber and the hidden weapon called the Piao.
5. Sun Yu Fung who taught him BSL Lo Han
6. Tu Cheng Sheng who taught him Shaolin.

Sow Choy
10-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Thank you NS, for posting that, I would have had to call my sifu to get all that info, hahaha...

Xia,

From what I remember, he spoke of a foreigner who openly challenged any chinese boxer to a fight, he wanted the top fighter... Ku Yu Jerng agreed to the challenge, but the foreigner felt it would be unfair since GM Ku was so small in comparison...

Hear is where I may be fuzzy on the details, I believe he said KU Yu Jerng said he will show his strength to the foreigner and asked to see his horse, the foreigner had no idea what was goin on... GM Ku hit the horse and the horse dropped, being pronounced dead.

According to Shek Kin, from what I remember, (you must know I am in awe of him when I see him, I'm always like wow! I am sitting next to Mr. Han...)

anyways... An autopsy was performed and some of the internal organs exploded and caused the horse to die.... I believe the story was also in the paper.

So... I am not one to believe these types of things... But he is a very humble and straight up guy... Likes to talk about fighting and stuff... So this story blew us out of the water and he was amazed too...

Joe

The Xia
10-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the responses. He sounds like a very nice guy with great Kung Fu and a treasure trove of cool stories to tell.