PDA

View Full Version : What got you into Kung Fu?

The Xia
10-24-2006, 01:44 PM
This should be interesting.

The Xia
10-24-2006, 05:49 PM
You can select more then one answer.

SPJ
10-24-2006, 05:50 PM
My relatives are or were in the services (military, police etc).

I had trouble with general movements when a boy. So practice of Tan Tui was to help me to balance.

My cousins were in the police academy. They Shuai Jiao me all the time growing up.

So I learned Shuai Jiao, too.

And there were many groups of people practicing MA in the public parks, too.

--

:)

Faruq
10-24-2006, 05:54 PM
No. Really I did it for the chicks. Gong fu groupies are the best! LOL!

sunfist
10-25-2006, 04:05 AM
All that fighting stuff seemed too hard...

BruceSteveRoy
10-25-2006, 04:48 AM
every since i was a little kid and i saw karate kid 2 in the theater i wanted to learn martial arts. i was obsessed with it. i used to love to watch the kung fu theater on saturday afternoons then go outside and pretend i was one of those guys. but my parents were fanatically religious and thought that if i studied martial arts i would get caught up in some far east religion or cult or something. they were crazy. so i took up wrestling for like 11 years until about half way through high school. then i took up smoking lots of cigarettes and ditching school and playing guitar and not doing anything athletic and getting into trouble. but the desire to study martial arts was still there. i had no money to pay for classes though. so when i went to college i saw an aikido school and was like hey i still want to do martial arts and enrolled for about 4 years and started taking judo at college concurrently with the aikido. both classes were included in my tuition so it worked out. it was awesome. then i graduated and thought ok time to move on. thought maybe it was out of my system. not a chance. i went looking everywhere for a kung fu school after one afternoon where i sat down and watched fist of legend, 36th chamber and drunken master back to back. i had just quit smoking after 8 years and wanted to get healthy. so i looked and looked and didn't find anything. and finally gave up and decided to join a JKD school (which is not what i wanted) and i was driving down the road on the way to the martial arts center to enroll and saw a kung fu school i hadn't seen before. it was like fate. and thats how i ended up there. best time of my life and with each year (minus injuries) it gets better and better. sorry for the long post.

auntie
10-25-2006, 04:53 AM
A job that went from 100% very physically active to 95% office work:( , Adrian Paul swinging that sword around in Highlander the TV series:D , and a new Kung fu school that had recently opened just up the road.