PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun School

Cedric8/7
10-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there could please help me out? I`m living in Nagoya Japan and would like to find a Wing Chun School. I`m having trouble tracking one down. If anyone had any information please let me know. Any kind of lead would be helpful. Thank you!

Mr Punch
10-24-2006, 07:35 PM
There are at least three I know of in Tokyo and one in Osaka, but as far as i know none near Nagoya. Depends on your job and wages, but for some people Tokyo wouldn't be too far or too expensive to travel on the shinkansen occasionally. One of my training partners here in Tokyo goes to Osaka twice a month or so to train down there!

Do you read Japanese? And if so do you know the Mixi social networking site? It's like Myspace but for grown-ups (kind of!). If you don't know it drop me a PM, and I'll get you an invite (it's invite only). There's a wing chun and various other CMA communities on it who should be able to help you out. Or I could ask on there for you...

Ultimatewingchun
10-24-2006, 08:15 PM
I have a long time student who's been living and working in Tokyo for the last few years - and he's spent some time at a wing chun school over there.

I think the guy who runs the school posts on this board under the name "Mat"...if I'm not mistaken. Check out the profiles and pm him.

Mr Punch
10-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Ultimate: I'm Mat!

I had to change my name when I changed my job to one with a little more conservative bosses!

I don't run a school, we have an informal cross-lineage training group, with occasional guests from other disciplines. We haven't even done any hard sparring for ages cos we don't have anywhere with mats, the others are slack about protection and I'm getting too old and wise (?!) to go full on without protection these days!

I didn't include that info in my above post: but of course Cedric, if you are ever in Tokyo, you're more than welcome to drop me a line anytime and we can hook up and get some training in.

And Vic, I haven't seen Ki for ages: unfortunately I've only trained with him maybe three times. He keeps saying he'll come but he's Tokyo busy!

Cedric8/7
10-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Thank alot for the information fellas!! I would like to have some sort of regular training schedule, maybe twice a week. But once a month trip to Osaka or Tokyo is better then nothing. Thanks again!

Mr Punch
10-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Haven't really given you any info yet!

So, like I said, PM me if you want more details of the Tokyo schools. The Osaka one is WSL, the Tokyo ones: Lo Man Kam, Chu Shon Tin, John D Virgilio, and a WSL one somewhere. Also heard of Leung Ting and a Malaysian wing chun one somewhere, but the Malaysian guy may have moved back.

Also, as I said for more info, try Mixi. It's good for all kinds of things, but you need an intro, so PM me if you want and I'll do it.