PDA

View Full Version : San Shou/BJJ The perfect MMA combination

Dragon Warrior
10-26-2006, 12:17 PM
I think San Shou is probably the best stand up art to learn for MMA. The variety of punches and kicks are great for mma. Also, unlike wrestling and judo, the san shou fighter learns how to use takedowns while executing and defending strikes.

BJJ is obviously the best ground art.

The combination of the two, I think, would dominate in MMA competition.

lkfmdc
10-26-2006, 12:52 PM
I wonder why no one ever thought of that :D

j/k

jigahus
10-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Wow thanks for the revelation.

yenhoi
10-26-2006, 01:00 PM
No one has done it yet in any venue that really matters, yet.

MMA fighting is really not distinguished by arts anymore. Its schools and styles withen camps and groups.

:eek:

lkfmdc
10-26-2006, 01:05 PM
No one has done it yet in any venue that really matters, yet.

Cung Le was the co main feature on the biggest MMA gate in CA history so far, 18000 tickets sold....

BUt probably what we do is considered a low rent venue .....

Water Dragon
10-26-2006, 04:03 PM
I'm kind of partial to a Judo/Muay Thai combo these days. It gives a pretty even distribution of shuai, da, ti, na.

Dragon Warrior
10-26-2006, 09:46 PM
I really think that Cung Le can beat Matt Hughes. Cung Le is good at defending takedowns, and has the timing to land knees when Matt fails at his takedown attempts. Matt is no where near Cung Le standing up.

The only weakness I can see Cung Le having is on the ground. I dont know how much BJJ Cung Le is doing. I am sure that he is training BJJ to prepare him for his MMA fights. I think he can definetely make it to the top 5 in his weight class.

Knifefighter
10-26-2006, 09:56 PM
I really think that Cung Le can beat Matt Hughes. Cung Le is good at defending takedowns, and has the timing to land knees when Matt fails at his takedown attempts. Matt is no where near Cung Le standing up.

The only weakness I can see Cung Le having is on the ground. I dont know how much BJJ Cung Le is doing. I am sure that he is training BJJ to prepare him for his MMA fights. I think he can definetely make it to the top 5 in his weight class.

It will be interesting to see how he does in MMA as he moves up to tougher fighters. It will also be interesting to see if his specialty scissor takedown transfers to the MMA format against quality guys.

I'd also like to see if and how well San Shou side kicks translate into MMA.

yenhoi
10-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Cung Le hasent done it yet either.

:cool:

Blacktiger
10-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Try Systema - which is a russian martial art.

There is no messing round with this stuff.

Their ground stuff is nuts.

FuXnDajenariht
10-26-2006, 11:42 PM
yea systema is awesome. kinda expensive. ill need 2 jobs to study that. planning on it tho

Blacktiger
10-27-2006, 12:02 AM
I cant understand why more people dont do it.

Everyone always carries on about BJJ, Sanda and San Shou and kickboxing

If you get a chance do it - as you wont get much more reality training than this.

Spend some time with some of these guys and you will soon find a few things to learn.

bodhitree
10-27-2006, 04:02 AM

aaaaahhhhhh, different weight classes.

bodhitree
10-27-2006, 05:37 AM
BJJ is obviously the best ground art.

not obviously. No gi submission grappling, hybrid styles, shooto, catch wrestling, sambo/judo.

there are plenty of good ground arts and jiu jitsu is not 'obviously' the best, just the most popular and accessable.

GreenCloudCLF
10-27-2006, 05:59 AM
not obviously. No gi submission grappling, hybrid styles, shooto, catch wrestling, sambo/judo.

there are plenty of good ground arts and jiu jitsu is not 'obviously' the best, just the most popular and accessable.

I prefer co-ed nekkid wrestling...the most gratifying of all styles.

jigahus
10-27-2006, 09:41 AM
I prefer co-ed nekkid wrestling...the most gratifying of all styles.

I wholeheartedly support this.

FuXnDajenariht
10-27-2006, 12:30 PM
I cant understand why more people dont do it.

Everyone always carries on about BJJ, Sanda and San Shou and kickboxing

If you get a chance do it - as you wont get much more reality training than this.

Spend some time with some of these guys and you will soon find a few things to learn.

its supposed to have alot of health benefits like IMA, ill hafta see for myself though. breathing is a heavy focus so thats a plus.

MasterKiller
10-27-2006, 01:10 PM
yea systema is awesome. kinda expensive. ill need 2 jobs to study that. planning on it tho

Yeah...um...isn't Systema the one where they voodoo trick you into falling, or stepping the wrong way, or some sh1t like that?

FuXnDajenariht
10-27-2006, 01:21 PM
heh nah dude. check out their forum. ask them questions. they're usually very open about it. most of the videos are taken out of context of the training drills they're performing. i've seen some hard sparring vids tho and it looks pretty good.

Dragon Warrior
10-27-2006, 11:48 PM

I know that there are "pleny of good ground arts," but BJJ seems to be the most dominant in grappling events. Almost all of the abu dhabi winners train in BJJ.

Dragon Warrior
10-28-2006, 12:01 AM
It will be interesting to see how he does in MMA as he moves up to tougher fighters. It will also be interesting to see if his specialty scissor takedown transfers to the MMA format against quality guys.

I'd also like to see if and how well San Shou side kicks translate into MMA.

The San Shou sidekick will transfer awesome into MMA. Fighters in MMA will not be used to it and wont be able to defend it properly.

I'm no so sure about the scissor takedown. If he can do something with it, then it may be usefull. There are some leg locks availabe there and if Cung Le learns them, he may be able to apply it.

David Jamieson
10-28-2006, 08:50 AM
kungfu and standard GR wrestling is what i like personally and some simplified boxing stuff.