PDA

View Full Version : God, I DO NOT want to be Sakuraba right now!!

DragonzRage
10-22-2001, 11:56 PM
A Pride interview with Vanderlei Silva...he is one SCARY mofo...

Wanderlei, a Chute Boxe fighter from Brazil, has defeated many a fighter but none compare to his defeat over the Japanese superstar
Sakuraba. In their match he not only was able to take everything Sakuraba threw at him, but was able to dominate and destroy Saku
sending him to the hospital for an extended stay. At PRIDE 16, both men stepped into the ring to announce their second fight that would
be held at the Tokyo Dome on November 3rd. Many a Japanese fan would love to see their hero win in the re-match. Brazilians
worldwide will definitely be rooting for Silva. Either way the fight is sure to be the most exciting of the night. We spoke with Wanderlei
after his Chute Boxe team mates to victory at PRIDE 16 and here is what he had to say about his upcoming fight with Sakuraba.

PRIDE: Wanderlei, when you were in the ring with Sakuraba, you said something to him in Japanese. What was it?

W.S.: I told him "Kakatte-Koi !!" in Japanese, that means "COME ON !".

PRIDE: When Ninja was fighting you were saying something to Sakuraba at that point as well. What were you yelling at him?

W.S.: When Ninja was fighting Matsui, I was telling Sakuraba I would do the same thing to him and he would be next.

PRIDE: So I take it you are training hard for this re-match of Saku?

W.S.: I never really stopped. I have been training for a long time and will definitely be ready. I will win again. I have been waiting for a
long time to fight him again.

PRIDE: You beat Sakuraba pretty badly last time. Do you think you will be able to do the same thing again?

W.S.: Absolutely! I will beat him even worse this time! I trained so hard and long for this fight. He won?ft be able to stop me.

PRIDE: Is there anyone you want to fight after Sakuraba?

W.S.: I?fm not thinking about that now. I just want Sakuraba. He might as well not even show up, because if he does, his wife and
children will be crying on that night! His time is over. It is now my time and he will only get in my way. If he tries that he will be seriously
hurt.

PRIDE: Do you dislike Sakuraba?

W.S.: I dislike anyone who gets in my way of being the number one fighter in the world. It gets personal for me. That way I fight better.

PRIDE: Do you hate him?

W.S.: No, but I have to dislike my opponents to hurt them as badly as I do. It?fs part of the aggressiveness of being a Chute Boxe
fighter.

PRIDE: Are you ever scared you could seriously injure someone while fighting?

W.S.: Honestly, no. I train they train. We all know the risks. This is a sport of men who want to be the best at fighting. If you are afraid,
go play something else like volleyball or tennis.

PRIDE: If you get beaten by Sakuraba in the re-match how will that affect you?

W.S.: It won?ft. Because I won?ft lose to him. I can?ft lose to him. I have trained too hard.

PRIDE: Is there anyone in the MMA world that you think you cannot beat?

W.S.: No, right now I am unstoppable.

PRIDE: What about when you lost to Tito and Vitor?

W.S.: I was a different fighter then. I would crush them now. No problem!

PRIDE: Do you feel you are maybe over confident sometimes?

W.S.: There is no such thing as over confidence. I am just convinced I am the best right now. Someday someone will be better, but not
right now.

PRIDE: Your team mates won tonight, do you think we are beginning to see a new type of fighter who is more of a striker that has
ground skills?

W.S.: That is what Chute Boxe is all about. We can fight on the ground but we prefer to knock people out.

PRIDE: Is there anything you would like to say to Sakuraba?

W.S.: Train hard and be as ready as you can. Hopefully for your family?fs sake you wont be hurt too badly this time.

"The UFC spawned a new breed of "mixed martial artists." World-class wrestlers learned to kickbox. Champion kickboxers learned to grapple. (The karate experts learned to stay home.)"

qeySuS
10-23-2001, 12:30 AM
heh yeah i read that interview yesterday, he's one scary dude :)

Free thinkers are dangerous!

Martial Joe
10-23-2001, 12:42 AM
He reminds me of a nice Vegeta...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

joedoe
10-23-2001, 01:26 AM
Sounds like a psychopath :)

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

old jong
10-23-2001, 01:34 AM
This guy is acting like a wwf wrestler in interview.I don't doupt he's a maniac in the ring.Some day he will meet somebody even worse in the ring and, it will be his day.

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

Mr. Nemo
10-23-2001, 02:26 AM
If Silva loses the rematch, his loss certainly can't be blamed on his attitude.

By the way, has anyone seen those pictures of Silva from back when he had long hair? He looked extremely non-badass back then. I think the pictures might still be on the UG somewhere.

HuangKaiVun
10-23-2001, 02:27 AM
And someday he'll meet someone even worse OUTSIDE the ring with a GUN - and all of his training won't save him.

Who cares who kicks who's ass?

Martial Joe
10-23-2001, 02:33 AM
Or he is really atracted to this girl and he gets drunk and tries to get with her but she kicks him in the balls and in the news it sais a world famous fighter beaten in street fight by a woman...

Now that would be something else...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif

Mr. Nemo
10-23-2001, 02:53 AM
"And someday he'll meet someone even worse OUTSIDE the ring with a GUN - and all of his training won't save him."

Already happened - Silva was carjacked earlier this year. He was smart and didn't try to be tough, just did what the guy said and lost a car. See, Silva's not really a psycho, he just plays one on TV.

Martial Joe
10-23-2001, 02:59 AM
I think that he is a real nice guy...
No lie...

NorthernMantis
10-23-2001, 03:03 AM
Anyone has a pic of this ferocious machine that I hear about?

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

tigerking
10-23-2001, 04:24 AM
If you've never seen Vanderlei Silva fight, check out sherdog.com and download the 4min zipped fight clip. As well I think you can find clips of his actual training routine. The man trains HARD, fightes HARDER. I have nothing but respect for this fearless muay thai fighter, whom I regard as one of the most devestating strikers of this era.

tigerking
10-23-2001, 04:35 AM
Even though Silva and his Chute Boxe team hail from Brazil, the people of Japan LOVE this guy. In the middle of downtown Tokyo there is a massive poster draped along the side of one of the skyscrapers with Silva on it. Sak is their homeland hero, but the japanese are crazy about their martial arts and nhb tournaments, and there's nothing they'd love to see more than two world class gladiators going at it for a second round.

origenx
10-23-2001, 03:36 PM
So, this Vanderlei Silva is primarily a Muay Thai fighter? Cool - Muay Thai vs wrestling? What other styles does he claim?

qeySuS
10-23-2001, 03:52 PM
He's basicly just a NHB fighter :) He mainly trains Muay Thai and he's got some BJJ too but he likes to strike.

Btw someone said on the UG forum that this is just an act Pride makes him do, wouldnt be surprised, they said Quinton Jackson lived in an abandoned bus and fought in street fights all the time :)

this is vanderlei since someone asked:

http://www.simnet.is/qeysus/silva.jpg

Free thinkers are dangerous!

shaolinboxer
10-23-2001, 03:55 PM
The little highlights clip on sherdog of this guy made my eyes buldge.

Good luck to Sak, cause he could soon be a little less agile.

LEGEND
10-23-2001, 04:14 PM
SILVA has weakness like any other fighter...he has never had good defense against equal or better strikers...a good K-1 fighter would KO Silva...Silva has poor head movement. But he's tough as nails...if taken down...SILVA usually plays defense and then get up on his feet...however I'm surprise cause he's a BJJ purple belt and really doesn't flow. Sak can win if he keeps this fight on the ground...he made a mistake cause he try to keep it standing...Sak made this mistake before fighting GUY METZGER. But I like this...cause now SAK is serious...get him!!!

A

Ralek
10-23-2001, 07:57 PM
Vanderli Silva is a purple belt in Brazilian jiujitsu. He also does muy thai.

Brazilian jiujitsu is superior.

Stranger
10-23-2001, 08:02 PM
I really hope Sakuraba beats Silva, but I know that is no easy taskby a long shot. It will be a good fight regardless, and they are both warriors. I think Saku would be wise to keep this one on the ground as much as possible.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

DarkKnight
10-23-2001, 08:21 PM
I pick Sak by submission late in the third round.

Ford Prefect
10-23-2001, 08:48 PM
Huang,

Actually he was car-jacked in his home town shortly after his victory over Sak. He's not stupid.

Xebsball
10-24-2001, 04:39 AM
Vanderlei's MAIN STYLE is MUAY THAI, his second style (or sub-style) is bjj.
So Ralek should write first MT, and then bjj. See? I like to put things in the right place.

-------------------------
"You will never need to feel weak, helpless, indecisive, not fascinating or ashamed of your genital dimensions. GOOD-BYE Humiliation. Bullies, Karate Experts, Boxing Champions, traffic wardens will melt to pulp as you master every situation."
Master Deltoo
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/2477/

Xebsball
10-24-2001, 04:39 AM
And i'm a Sakuraba fan.

-------------------------
"You will never need to feel weak, helpless, indecisive, not fascinating or ashamed of your genital dimensions. GOOD-BYE Humiliation. Bullies, Karate Experts, Boxing Champions, traffic wardens will melt to pulp as you master every situation."
Master Deltoo
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/2477/

tigerking
10-24-2001, 04:51 AM
keep an eye out for Vanderlei in K-1 - he should be entering the tournament next year when his contract with Pride expires - I don't think he'd do too bad. Frank Shamrock made a nice transition from UFC to K-1. Silva just needs to work on his defense.

By the way Silva's team is called Chute Boxe. loosely translated it means "Muay Thai"