GreenCloudCLF
10-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Gotta change that music.

golden arhat
10-27-2006, 09:07 AM
its a bit crap

GeneChing
10-27-2006, 09:33 AM
That's an extended version of the five animal form that is taught at Songshan Shaolin. In the next issue, coming on stands in early December, we're publishing a version of the Songshan Shaolin Five Animal form by my master, monk Shi Decheng. I'll have to ttt this thread in a month when that hits. You should all subscribe (http://www.martialartsmart.net/19341.html), just so you know what I'm talking about ;)

I'm stealing this thread for the Shaolin forum.

The Xia
10-27-2006, 09:41 AM
In my opinion, that music sounds like it belongs in a 1980s romance movie.

Ray Pina
10-27-2006, 12:17 PM
I wish I had more hands.... so I could give it five thumbs down.

No power
no structure
no mechanics
no explosiveness

.... thus no power.

If there's no opponant resisting, a demo should be super out-of-sight. That was terrible.

The Willow Sword
10-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Interesting critique Ray. I kinda saw different in this man's movements. i mean this is not MMA that he is doing so it has a totally different flavor to it. as for the music, hehe yeah it doesnt really fit with the form. i turned the volume down and was then able to focus on the movements. Nice vid.

Peace,TWS

Indestructible
10-27-2006, 01:37 PM
I wish I had more hands.... so I could give it five thumbs down.

No power
no structure
no mechanics
no explosiveness

.... thus no power.

If there's no opponant resisting, a demo should be super out-of-sight. That was terrible.

I couldn't disagree more!

I don't know this form but I was able to recognize a lot of familar elements within it.

It was packed full of posture, transitions and applications!

Diffenent strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Royal Dragon
10-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Some aspects of it remind me of Chen Taiji, not to mention Tai Tzu, and Louhan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdijrNuqCWQ&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ap1Ee9ftPY

GeneChing
10-30-2006, 11:53 AM
One of the big problems I had with laying out Decheng's form is that there is no way to capture that fajing in still photos. I address it somewhat in the introduction of the article. You'll see.

I think Ray Pina was disappointed because there wasn't any aerials. :p

5Animals1Path
11-06-2006, 06:53 PM
His arms looked a little too extended, and he ran into the kicks weird, but otherwise the 5 animal fajing looked pretty familiar to me.

oasis
12-10-2006, 12:39 PM
hey gene,

glad to finally see the wu xing ba fa article in the magazine. nice to have a step-by-step photo record of the form. two questions:
1. how come there was no comment on the 'ba fa' part of the form?
2. did de cheng comment on where the names of the forms came from, ie were they taught to him that way or did he give them names?
incidentally, re: the move 'er long xi zhu," does that really need to be translated as two dragons TEASE the pearl? ;)

thanks for writing it up gene

GeneChing
12-12-2006, 12:22 PM
In answer to your questions:
1. Since it was a long pictorial, we only chose to address the five animals point.
2. Decheng had to return to China to get the names. He didn't remember them all. There was a book series published by Abbot Yongxin on essential Shaolin forms and it included 5 animals. The lyrics in that presentation were parallel, if memory serves, but not exact. Same goes for the sequence.
xi is typically translated as 'play'. By a dictionary translation, 'show' is also added. But running it through one of our many translators here, 'tease' was coughed up, so we went for it. Any of those can have prurient implications if you know what the pearl is, so what can be done?

BTW, here's the TOC of the new Shaolin Special. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=687) Enjoy!

Shaolinlueb
12-14-2006, 07:11 AM
i thought that ws an excellent form. the person performing it did well.

the music rocked!!!!!.... jk.

ngokfei
12-23-2006, 02:04 PM
That youtube performance is of the set that was being published by Rodger Hagood in the Original magazine. It comes from a really nice book series by this individual. I believe you can get the vcd from www.plumpub.com.

Its much more advanced than the one being demonstrated in the magazine.

What no applications, AGAIN:confused:

ngokfei
12-25-2006, 11:23 AM
christmas day here and one of my presents from Hong Kong is a dvd of
"Shaolin 5 Shape 16 Technique" Set.

Most of the animals are not the standard ones seen
Peck of the Rooster
Kick of the Horse,
Crouch of the Tiger
Jump of the Rabit
Twist of the Dragon

A pretty lame/standard set though and of course not a trace of the form's history or applications.

Can't complain, it is a gift ( I think my nephew would like it for his birthday:D )

Wood Dragon
12-25-2006, 10:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkvxxuqoenI#Z4Qfie3aGmc

Note to Oriental People:

Your Easy Listening music privilages have been revoked.

Martial Arts + "Unchained Melody" = :mad:

It's as bad as the Germans, who throw an Industrial/Metal soundtrack on -everything-, including cooking shows...

hung-le
01-01-2007, 08:07 AM
which is worse...the over the top hard core techno..... or the infant lullabye stuff ...I don't know..

However.. the form and display of power was "IMO" first rate.

Did anyone notice those nasty low kicks that he stepped through...?

David Jamieson
01-01-2007, 08:59 AM
that looks like a mix of a lot of different stuff.

northern, southern, internal etc etc.

interesting.

5Animals1Path
01-02-2007, 05:02 AM
that looks like a mix of a lot of different stuff.

northern, southern, internal etc etc.

interesting.

That's how a guy who's been studying animals long enough should start to look. Aerial to ground, fast to slow, internal to external, etc. It's a real pain in the ass to try and fit the idea into your head at the beginning, which is why you've got the single animal forms in addition to the mixed.