PDA

View Full Version : hsing-i training

unclaimed effort
08-10-2001, 02:46 AM
When I practice Hsing-I, should I have more focus on the song ti training, or should it go more towards equal as much as 5 elements training and understanding?

The Willow Sword
08-10-2001, 04:42 AM
The stepping is the root of the hsingi training. San Ti Tsuh means 3 body posture. this is the rooted stance that hsingi is famous for. at the beginning levels one need not worry about the elements ,,work on the posture and the movements.
but focus on Tan Tien (the center) and visualize yourself as rooted as can be. what fists have you been taught and do you have any of the animals do you have?
Many respects,,Willow Sword

Whatever you think i am or want me to be,,, i am.
oh and,,,Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks you are an a$.

unclaimed effort
08-10-2001, 06:17 PM
I have been taught the San Ti, and the 5 elements. I did not get to the linking form yet.

Thanks for the reply.

TheBigToad
08-10-2001, 07:41 PM
My hsing-i was somewhat difrent as where much time was spent in San Ti practice and after much time was spent then brass rings where added, 4 about on each arm during San Ti. The stepping is very important, I still work while holding buckets filled with gravel and do dragon and 7 star stepping patterns up and down a local football feild.

I am the big toad and this is my pond.

The Willow Sword
08-10-2001, 09:32 PM
good to hear from ya,,and a good training method as well. i use 2 15 lbs wieghts and do the stepping that way,,when i use the weights i do not tense the arms when the strike goes out, since everything is tense anyway when holding those dam things. i also use 5lb ankle and wrist weights as well...still saving up for a weight vest that century sells,,its a goos one,,up to 40 lbs you can have on ya.
anyway to Unclaimed effort, how long training with the 5 fists?
Many repsects ,,Willow Sword

unclaimed effort
08-11-2001, 04:14 AM
I have trained the 5 elements for maybe little less than 2 months. I've been training San Ti more though.

Thanks for helping.

About adding weights, would that be better after I'm not tired anymore or wait till I can get all the technical stuff down first.

unclaimed effort
08-11-2001, 05:26 AM
Let me rephrase that first part:

I've been training 5 elements a little less than 2 months. I am now not as worried about this as I am spending more of my training time on San Ti now.

TheBigToad
08-11-2001, 07:39 AM
Hey how much do thoughts weight vests cost? I'm doing a lot of aerial Bagua kicking for leg strength now and that would be killer to add to it.

San Ti as I learned it was the internal power development for Pi Quan's attack and defense. Actually in the method I learned San Ti was adapted to fit all of the 5 element postures and in turn was a major staple in their power development.

Weights are good mainly because it gives you a reminder to relax deeper and really forces you to get comfortable, especially in San Ti where even veteran standers feel the burn faster then in other postures.

Warrior of Stillness or the second edition is a good book to pick up and better understand why standing is essential of internal methods.

The Willow Sword
08-11-2001, 08:28 PM
i will check out the book you mentioned. and i believe the weight vests are around 150 bucks,,centurys' web site is down right now last i checked,,,,i will try looking elsewhere for it and let you know.
Many respects,willow sword

Kevin Wallbridge
08-11-2001, 08:48 PM
One item I found useful was an old lead vest from a medical x-ray department. Its a bit like a Bagua robe from hell, but it sure sets you into your base.

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai

unclaimed effort
08-11-2001, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the book recommendation, who is it written by?

Kevin, by that are you saying that the San Ti won't complement the practice of the 12 animals?

Julian Dale
08-12-2001, 03:48 PM
For indepth answers to most questions pertaining to the three major internal arts
Hsig Yi
Ba Gua
Tai Chi

Visit Empty Flower web site www.emptyflower.com (http://www.emptyflower.com)
MOst people there have trained long and hard in one of three above and are well versed in the methods etc especially not just from as performance point of view

TheBigToad
08-12-2001, 04:52 PM
unclaimedeffort:

<<Kevin, by that are you saying that the San Ti won't complement the practice of the 12 animals?>>

Ummmm no. I'm not even remotely sure where you even came to that possible conclusion.
San Ti can easily be adapted to fit all of the 12 animals as well, in fact there are specific animal standing shapes in more then a few Hsing-I variations.
So no..I'm not say that at all...

-Kevin

unclaimed effort
08-12-2001, 07:03 PM
Sorry for the mistake, Kevin.

"San Ti as I learned it was the internal power development for Pi Quan's attack and defense. Actually in the method I learned San Ti was adapted to fit all of the 5 element postures and in turn was a major staple in their power development."

It's just that you did not happen to mention the whole part in that paragraph. Just the 5 elements part of it.

unclaimed effort
08-12-2001, 07:10 PM
Since we are on the subject of Hsing-I, I'm wondering where did the turtle form come from?

I believe that it is not a form from the original 12 animals.

Felipe Bido
08-12-2001, 09:42 PM
Actually, the form is not from a turtle. It is named after a kind of chinese lizard. Some call it "water strider", or "alligator"

The turtle form was not one of the originals. It was developed by master Li Neng Ran. He also developed the Tai Bird form, the combined forms and the two-man sets.

Mendacem Oportet Esse Memorem

Chum Kil
08-12-2001, 10:06 PM
Warriors of Stillness, Vol 2 by Jan Diepersloot

John

Have little and gain;
Have much and be confused.

unclaimed effort
08-12-2001, 11:35 PM
thanks