PDA

View Full Version : Alan Gibson - Beginning Wing Chun: Why Wing Chun Works

Ernie
10-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Setting a new benchmark in martial arts literature, Beginning Wing Chun is a completely revised edition of Alan’s Gibson’s first book, Why Wing Chun Works and reflects the evolution of training methods, both of the author and of the martial arts world in general. Once again this definitive book is clearly illustrated with new photography and diagrams, but in addition it now contains a complete set of training drills, with key footwork and concept linking methods. Fighting practice, fence work, reality drills, and strength and conditioning are also included in this comprehensive and essential manual. Enabling readers to learn how Wing Chun works, why it is so effective in practice and why its methods differ so radically from other martial arts.

http://www.wingchun.org.uk/home.htm

Got a chance to train with Alan and his guys when i visited the UK ,,, great guys solid skills , I have been working with some of the material detailed in this book via David Peterson and have had great results in myself and the guys even put it out in a few seminars and guys from different linages really dug it .

not rocket science or unlocking the secret dead sea scrolls of some hidden wing chun sci fi technology ;) just striaght forward stuff that really works with out having to learn the secret hand shake or sell your soul for the magic decoder ring :D

If you liked David P's book this is a great addition !

Wu Wei Wu
10-29-2006, 07:20 PM
i second that...

i had the pleasure of meeting Alan Gibson when i travelled to the UK last year for a David Peterson seminar. i have Gibson's original set of books which are excellent, imo. clear, concise and balanced well between theory and suggestions for drills. i'm looking forward to seeing the revised edition.

Dan_chi_sau
10-30-2006, 05:12 AM
cheers for the tip, e. I agree, alan gibsons teaching is very straight forwards, and ten minutes of his time during the malvern seminar was helpful as hell. Good dvd too (think it was the chi sau one i saw). Will be hunting that one down asap.

Ernie
10-30-2006, 05:58 PM
agreed guys ,
thank God for the people keeping VT clear and clean ,,,,instead of the all to common illusion of smoke and mirrors , fancy words , silk and bamboo layers of BS ! ;)

stonecrusher69
10-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Where can you get the new re-vised book?

Ernie
10-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Where can you get the new re-vised book?

To order any of the above products...

Send a cheque / postal order (U.K. only) made out for Alan Gibson, remember to include your address and which items you require.

Send to: The Wing Chun Federation, 352 Priory Rd, St Deny's, Southampton, SO17 2LQ

We can now also take credit card payment via Paypal. Visit www.paypal.com if you do not already have an account and follow the instructions, then pay alan@wingchun.org.uk

The Why Wing Chun Works series of books and all DVDs are available to order in all good suppliers internationally.

Please allow 28 days for delivery.

(Outside the U.K. please use Paypal and add the postage costs shown below...

1 x book = £3.99 1 x video / DVD = £2.99 1 x set of two posters = £4.99 1 x CD Rom = £2.99)

Dan_chi_sau
10-31-2006, 06:59 AM
jeeezus....
i got to page 32 and had to put it down due o the sheer content of quality info.....this is gonna be good. Quality read.

Kevin Bell
10-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Hey i'm on that page or is it page 33...:)

Wu Wei Wu
10-31-2006, 08:17 PM
ernie said "thank God for the people keeping VT clear and clean ,,,,instead of the all to common illusion of smoke and mirrors , fancy words , silk and bamboo layers of BS !"

Ernie, I guess you missed the chapter on levitating wing chun monks from the 17th century! :D

IMO no wing chun man should be without Alan Gibson's trilogy of books, David Peterson's 'Look Beyond The Pointing Finger' and Jesse Glover's 'Non-Classical Gung Fu'.

Dan_chi_sau
11-02-2006, 05:17 AM
Hey i'm on that page or is it page 33...:)

i saw you as i peeked over to 33.......good book, dude. Met you in malvern briefly, glad this has come along, perfect timing for me, and we might pop down to see you guys sometime in the future, clive is a bit closer to leicester than you guys, but i got some friends down south so i might try and fit it all in over a weekend.

Kevin Bell
11-02-2006, 09:29 AM
At my most beautiful :) No worries welcome down anytime buddy.

There's some good guys up that way to train with Adam, Nick, Aidan etc have fun

mad101dan
11-03-2006, 04:38 AM
Sounds like a book defiantely worth getting and its easy to get hold of, but I am struggling to find a copy of David Peterson's book. Does anyone know where I can get a copy in the UK ?

Thx

Dan

stricker
11-06-2006, 04:24 PM
just got it through the letterbox this morning, been pouring over it the last few hours... really solidly goes over the basics, tons of good info in there, enough good drills, there'll be hours and hours worth of practice in there.

big thumbs up, definitely worth picking up thanks for the tip Ernie.

Ernie
11-06-2006, 04:31 PM
just got it through the letterbox this morning, been pouring over it the last few hours... really solidly goes over the basics, tons of good info in there, enough good drills, there'll be hours and hours worth of practice in there.

big thumbs up, definitely worth picking up thanks for the tip Ernie.

No worries buddy

very few wing chun books worth getting out there [ way to much fluff / history and marketing ]

nice to see simple clear basics , from a humble cat ;)

ZenGuy
11-22-2006, 09:01 AM
if you wanna be relli cheeky this ebook is available on emule

stricker
11-22-2006, 10:52 AM
if you wanna be relli cheeky this ebook is available on emulebiiiig thumbs down!

im all about getting **** on the cheap\free, if it was say a gracie dvd (theyve made $$$ already) or say leung ting i'd copy it, and i do share stuff with really only a handful of people, but money should be given where deserved...

one thing i try to live by in life is that every $ you spend is like a vote, and you gotta vote for the good guys. so if it was material from alan, gary lam, alan orr any of those guys stealing isnt good, they put enough in they deserve something back...

so get it off emule if you like to take a look but if you like it do the right thing! ive done that before watched copied\borrowed\downloaded stuff but if ive got a lot from it or wanted to go over it then pay the dues and lay down the $$

alans not like a big wing chun guru, he's one of US, so show some support...

Dan_chi_sau
11-24-2006, 07:16 AM
i second that, jon. we had the pleasure of meeting alan and his guys at the gary lam malvern uk seminar, and alan was very open and welcoming, as well as very giving in terms of info and advise, top guy. So cool, if you enjoy it, go get a copy legit. Alan deserves that much.