PDA

View Full Version : Wu Lin I Jia / All Martial Arts One Family

Eric Ling
11-03-2006, 02:06 AM
Hi everybody,

This is probably a little premature but ……

Some of you might be aware that we are about to launch www.wulinijia.com anytime now.

“Wu Lin I Jia or All Martial Arts, One Family” must be one the most essential doctrines in my Kung Fu education. All my teachers stress this continuously when passing down the arts to me.

Could be also why I am so driven to collect materials throughout all these years. I was never really happy with confining my experience to the few styles that I was learning; just needed to see how others are training. Throughout my entire kung fu journey, discriminating was never my way. I’ll learn anything you got to teach and I am still learning to this day.

CKF is all one family is something REAL to me. My behavior is in many ways formed by this belief.

Couple of years back, I met some very good friends in forums etc. Lifelong enthusiasts in their own rights, we spoke often of amalgamating our materials and making them available to anyone who needs them.

Simple to talk about but when we actually got down to making this, we found ourselves confronted with a mountain of work.

Just picture scanning thousands of books/magazine and manuscripts, editing and then uploading them to a server.

Besides offering all the various genres of materials to members, we are also working to achieve a community wherein members can upload their own materials for study and discussion.

A MA tearoom with a projector running…..

So if any of you are keen to join us, please let me know. You can communicate here or PM or email me at white88crane@yahoo.com

If you got any propositions, let me hear about them.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
11-05-2006, 02:05 AM
Hey everybody,

For those who wrote to me about working with Wu Lin – thank you very much,

I will be writing to you very soon. I am preparing to leave for Sibu again, this time with a film crew to do another CKF documentary.

Will be out for about 10 days but I will be contacting all of you who wrote personally.

Again, thanks.

Warmest Regards.

Eric :)

Eric Ling
11-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Hi all,

Apologies for the long silence; just got back from Sibu on a video-shooting trip.

This is in preparation of a documentary that we are producing to pave the way for an event to be held in Sarawak next September.

The documentary is tentatively named “In Search of “Hidden Dragons”……Malaysia”

I am lucky enough to have captured:-

1. Hakka Praying Mantis or “Fan Zhuan Quan”. Got 2 leading Masters to demonstrate forms and fighting from this rare system. Really love their “whipping” manner of execution that I love so much personally.

2. Wuzu or 5 Ancestors. Most exponents here are from GM Kan Teck Guan’s line which is uncannily close to White Crane. I sat down and interviewed Sidai Luo Yue Lan, possibly the highest ranking Master today. In her 70s and with problems with her legs, she was showing me techniques that could put younger players to shame. From her, I found out the intimacy of Kan’s Wuzu with Yong Chun White Crane….

3. Fong Yang Quan. This is one style that has always intrigued me. Read about this in many places and even visited the one and only school in Singapore that taught this many years ago. Still, there are very little details available. This trip is a real eye-opener for me. Seeing Fong Yang up close was worth all the efforts. A system to combine essence of Southern tiger, dragon and crane; what more could I ask for?

4. Hungga. Grandmaster Lam, in his 80s, is the custodian of this excellent style here in Sarawak. Posting a clip of his son, Lam Chee Keong, doing Fook Fu. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeTA4zJyNkU

The documentary will cover other spots in Sarawak like Kuching (the capital city where I am based) and West Malaysia.

So I got work cut out fully for the next couple of months….

Time for a Carlsberg…cheers.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
11-17-2006, 02:58 AM
And for those who understand Fukinese, got a clip here for you…..

You see me interviewing Sidai Luo Yue Lan and other Wuzu senior Masters.

We spoke at length about history, forms and training methods of this system.

Somewhere, midway thru the clip, Sidai Luo started demonstrating some Wuzu moves in the seated position.

Even that and at an advance age, you could “feel” her power.

I really take my hat (baseball cap) off to Sidai Luo…..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5MRWO9Pw6k

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Lau
11-17-2006, 05:35 AM
Eric,

Thanks you very much for sharing that clip, I am greatly impressed with her skills. The relaxation and speed with which her hands shoot out in combination with the elbow positioning make her a living treasure. You are a lucky man to meet such people.

Long time no chat, but please keep up the good work. Best regards, Lau

Firehawk4
11-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Is this Hakka Praying Mantis or “Fan Zhuan Quan related to the style called Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist that is a old Southern Mantis style ? Have you ever herd of a style that Sek Ko Sam practiced called Hup Gun Phoenix style ?

Eric Ling
11-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi everybody,

Lau, thanks for your message. Yes, I am very pleased to be able to meet and touch hands with so many “living treasures” –most humbling encounters I assure you.

Robert, according to the 2 Fan Zhuang Masters, their style is quite independent of the other Hakka Praying Mantis we know of.

They traced lineage back to Southern Shaolin. The “Fan Zhuang” is roughly translated to “Opposing Postures” and this is reflected in the Yin/Yang hand postures that are hallmarks of this system.

I will be posting clips once they are ready. Point to note; all my clips are taken from my JVC handycam. The documentary, however, will be using footages from the 2 high-definition cameras we used during the shoot.

These will take a while to be post-edited….

I am including a still shot of some old photos from Master Kong’s collection. These are pictures of a young Master Kong doing “Fan Zhuang”.

Ven. Sek, according to what I know, taught many different forms during his time. I think folks are beginning to realize just how many recently.

Incidently, Ven Sek’s SiaoLim is on my list when I visit Singapore for more shooting.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Firehawk4
11-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks Eric

Eric Ling
11-17-2006, 11:39 PM
Hi everyone,

Another clip from the Sibu trip.

Here’s an old gentleman I would truly describe as a “living treasure”. Grand Master Lin (or Lam in Cantonese), the custodian of Hungga in Sarawak.

GM Lin is the father of the young Sifu in the earlier Hungga Fook Fu clip.

The plan actually calls for shooting of his son and some of his senior students only. GM Lin was kind enough to put in a short impromptu partial performance of a form.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuSVW2mJo68

At almost 90, I am really inspired and impressed by his zest.

Sort of affirming that I picked the right thing to do with my life…..

Arrrgggghhhhh, I love Kung Fu ……….

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
11-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Hi everybody,

Milan, sorry for the delay – we want the site to be “meatier” before offering it to the public.

But it will be launched before the year is out – that's for certain.

In the meantime….

Got another clip here from my recent trip to share.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi41NbD26eA

Master Francis Ling (Master Ling is Henghua – another dialect group) doing Hakka Praying Mantis “Fan Zhuang” 1st form.

This system does a total of 5 forms, “108” Sanshou techniques and stick forms. The Sanshou techniques are based on the principles of the system and many came across as intricate “quinna” style execution. A little like Wing Chun “Chi Sao” but ending in a trap….

Well, I did manage to capture 3 of their forms and a few sessions of their “sanshou” in action.

Like I mentioned earlier, I really like the way they “whip” throughout their form and Master Ling makes it look so simple; completely relaxed and “wham”….

At one point, he sank his forearm into his student’s forearm (like in a cross-bridge engagement) and he nearly drops his student! Again looking nonchalant throughout….

This is one system that I intend to examine closer and report in my website.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

DRleungjan
11-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Hi Eric,

Niiice clip of master Francis Ling!

DRleungjan :)

Eric Ling
11-22-2006, 05:53 AM
No sweat....

Hope you don't mind the humble tea.

I hope to serve proper dinner very soon.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
11-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi everybody,

Thought I deleted this clip – taking a very long time to upload.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKdjOrS8oNI

Well anyway, this is the “Fong Yang” or “Phoenix Sun” style CKF I was talking about.

Fong Yang is the name of a place in China.

According to the 2 Masters I met, this style fuses Dragon, Tiger and Crane fighting methodologies. The clip shows basic Dragon drill.

I recorded quite a bit of their training and forms and I just got to say I love their “flow” from one style to another.

Oftentimes these are done so quickly and smoothly that they appear as double hands techniques much like mother-son hands methods found in some Fukien/Fuzhou boxing.

The other distinct characteristic is their multiple gates striking using all 3 styles and I was having a tough time playing with them when they do that….

This is another style that I am planning to properly record and present to all.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
11-23-2006, 02:42 AM
Hi everybody,

Just been to check www.wulinijia.com and I am happy to say that things are in order and we should be fully operational in December.

Thought I take a little time here to talk about this project:-

• Been asked frequently why “Wu Lin I Jia” and not “Wu Lin Yi Jia” which is standard Hanyu Pinyin. I deliberately spelled it with an “I” and not “Yi” initially because I wanted to use the number “1”. Sort of playing around with design until someone pointed out that the number “1” would be easily confused with “I”. So to keep the URL in alpha only, I substituted “I” for “1”. I really like the result because it’s “1” of a kind ……. hope I make sense here…..

• This is a joint-effort project involving quite a big group of CKF folks at my end here in SE Asia. The other major participants are Evert Van De Meulen (Holland), Russ Smith (USA) and “sometimes you see him, sometimes you don’t” Martin Watts (England). Those of you who are familiar with Evert and Russ must know what collection of MA materials they’ve accumulated over the years. Together with mine, we are transferring everything on-line, old magazines, books, and manuals, old and new video clips. Martin is working on tying his project (www.jabbalist.com) with our website.

For me, the fun and most meaningful portion is the on-going works to record and archive as many traditional fighting arts (not just Chinese) as possible and storing them in the site for reference.

That’s why I will be traveling extensively throughout SE Asia to meet and interview/shoot MA Masters and their arts.

So pardon me if I feel and talk like a kid lost in a giant candy store…..:D :D :D

Warmest Regards.

Eric

kismet
11-23-2006, 03:24 AM
Hi Eric,

Thanks for all the great clips and information! I look forward to your clips and research into the hakka praying mantis especially. I envy you! I wish I could have joined you on your journey and met all these masters. A great way to document and continue the posterity of these arts. Anymore stuff on southern mantis and you will officially be "da man".

regards.

Shaolin Master
11-23-2006, 07:01 AM
Eric,

A little bit of memory of Ah Joo....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_USsPDuSk14

Less we forget ...

Kind Regards
Wu Chanlong

www.satirio.com/ma/home.html

Eric Ling
11-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi everybody,

Kismet, thanks. Just doing what I love – no biggie.

Shaolin Master, never. I will never forget any of my teachers. Ah Joo will always remain a “Dai Xia” to me.

I wish I could spend more time in Singapore and visit my other teachers, Ah Teck and Li Wen Shi, more often. Now that I am teaching, I appreciate fully how much they put into teaching a dumbo like me.

I wanted to write you about us working together; been to your website and see the kind of work you are doing – very admirable.

The way I see it, you are concentrating on mainland and me and my friends are paying more attention to “Hua Chiao”.

2 sides of the same copper coin maybe?

Already I got Robert Hui (our Mantis and Hakka high hand) agreeing to be one of our advisors, so what do you say?

If you like, please write to white88crane@yahoo.com

And I promise to use standard Hanyu Pinyin if I work with you and not my atrocious rojak Hockien, Teochew, Cantonese and Fuzhou spelling….

Seriously…..

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
11-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi everybody,

This is another Wuzu Master I met and interviewed during the trip.

Master Zhang, in his 60s, is a Wuzu veteran. A soft-spoken, coy even, CKF expert who rather let his body do all his talking.

Personally and humbly, I think all CKF practitioners should behave just like him…absolutely no “air” whatsoever…

In the clip, you see him do the signature Wuzu/White Crane form “San Chiem”.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7cG_DKeZII

Watching him during the shoot, I began to understand why old Masters like to say – “Everything is found in SanChiem. You start with Sanchiem and you do SanChiem until you die”.

Awesome delivery, imho.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
11-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Hi everybody,

Here’s another Hungga form that I shot during the trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l5FX8hj_fA

“4 Gates” performed by one of GM Lin’s senior disciples, Sifu Zhang.

Anyone else do this form?

Well, like I mentioned earlier, I’ll be back to Sibu to work with all these folks again.

Hopefully to capture their entire syllabus…

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
11-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Now, opening sequence of the 2nd Hakka Praying Mantis Fan Zhuang form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoPA3m0j9Yk

Maybe it’s just me but this form REALLY reminds me of Fuzhou Ancestral Crane.

The “lower wing hand cut”, “2 fingers spear hand”, the kick and “Small Ghost Sitting” posture… maybe it’s time for me to take a break from White Crane…..

The performer here is Master Zhiang – a superb CKF practitioner and “Dit Da” healer.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
11-27-2006, 01:29 AM
Errrrrrhhhhh.....

Some of the magazines / books that we got uploaded into the site....::D :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0xjG_PUuNA

Old pics :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaFWeNLJDro

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
11-29-2006, 01:46 AM
Hi everyone,

Now for the part of my "work" that I enjoy the most - putting old in-hse anniversary mags and pictures from private collection on-line.

Got samples of these here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONezKWEvrBw

1. pictures from my Taizu school.

2. pictures from my Fuzhou Crane school. Some of these were hanging on the school walls for the longest time....

3. pictures taken from an old "Choy Li Fut" magazine published in Singapore.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
11-30-2006, 12:27 AM
Hi everybody,

Excerpts from a book published in Singapore in 92 listing many important CKF Masters.

Sadly, many of these Masters are no longer with us.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA0IMd4CIbU

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
11-30-2006, 08:26 AM
Hi everybody,

A clip here featuring Master Xiong’s Wuzu Quan or 5 Ancestors Fist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqCUPWMeXlw

Since posting clips from this line of Wuzu, I’ve received some mails asking about this style.

Well, one thing I got to point out is that there are a least 3 “different” styles of Wuzu that I am aware of.

1. Kan Teck Guan’s line.
2. Chua Geok Beng’s line
3. Chee Kee Tong’s Wuzu.

Not saying that I got the whole picture here but all 3 are amalgamation of 5 individual styles.

Master Xiong has invited me to go back to Sibu to perform and judge in a traditional CKF event scheduled for 22nd – 24th December.

And he has agreed to put as much of his Wuzu as possible on videos ….. lalalala Christmas comes a little early for me this year……

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
11-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi everybody,

Got a clip here of Sifu Edmund Wong teaching Hakka PM Fan Zhuang. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZdxs6q1Zy0

Edmund is a good friend and really, without his support, my Sibu trip would not had yielded so much.

I will be collaborating with this young Sifu again in many upcoming projects.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
12-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Hi everybody,

It looks like it going to be months before the documentary takes shape.

Got a photo slide show comprising of still pictures taken during the Sibu leg of the documentary. I am presently working on Kuching portion of the documentary...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQiDloUD_lQ

The kung fu pics are at the end of the show.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Lau
12-01-2006, 07:49 AM
I am surely planning a Sarawak backpacking trip somewhere in the coming years. I'll use your pictures to convince my wife we need to go. Your national parks also should be magnificent!
Regards, Lau

Eric Ling
12-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Hi everybody,

Lau, Sarawak is a lovely place; the landscapes, foods, peoples and the Kung Fu of course…

I must add “cats” to that considering the number I took in – costing me a bundle to feed them. “Kuching” actually means “cat” in the Malay language……

Got another clip here showing the “Silat” portion of Wu Lin I Jia. Like I said “all martial arts 1 family” so we are not confining ourselves to Chinese arts only.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7I9sVY-kPY

And living in Malaysia, it would be crazy for me to not examine Silats.

After all, Silat originated in this part of the world. Soon, I would be sharing Silat video clips from the kampungs (villages) around here.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
12-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi everybody,

Received some mails for specific articles.

Got a couple in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0QgMwMZanE

Plus, at the end of the clip, the cover and an inside illustration of a “WuXia” novel from my childhood days…

Some of you got your Batman, Superman, Aquaman etc… but I’ve got my “WuXia” superheroes …..:D :D :D

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
12-10-2006, 04:21 AM
Hi everybody,

I was looking thru my Sibu’s trip files and found this edited out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqDty-Qw98s by my post production people.

Here, you see Master Francis Ling explaining some fighting aspects of his Hakka Praying Mantis Fan Zhuang Quan.

Sorry the conversation is in Fukienese…

The gist:-

• Fan Zhuang does a total of 8 empty-hands form.
• Speed is the overriding characteristic of this style.
• This style is about getting the job done and low on aesthetics.

Throughout Master Ling’s over an hour’s long display, his “floating and sinking” was very clear during his power strikes.

Even at very short ranges, this was very apparent…

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
12-11-2006, 12:50 AM
Hi everybody,

A glimpse of Ven. Sek's Sao Lim Hood Pai Kung Fu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYV6-lMHZgM

I've got many old pics of this style in Singapore.

Having most of my stuffs transported here and soon I should be able to put together something more comprehensive.

Sao Lim is one of the styles that I studied.....

Warmest Regards.

Eric

taichi4eva
12-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Hey Eric,

I was wondering if you had video (youtube?) of the Sao Lim Luohanquan form that was featured in the book "Shaolin Lohan Kung Fu" by the late Donn F. Draeger. I've always wanted to see what the form looks like in motion, rather than still pictures.

Thanks in advance!

Eric Ling
12-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Hi everybody,

Taichi4eva, like I mentioned elsewhere in this forum, Ven. Sek taught different forms to each of his disciples.

We do different versions Luohan. Personally I have not seen Dato P’ng Luohan form myself.

I will be in Kuala Lumpur West Malaysia this Wednesday till Sunday.

There to interact with some CKF folks and if time permits, I might travel to Penang.

Hopefully to meet Dato P’ng ………..

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Shadow_warrior8
12-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Hi there Eric,
good stuff. I can see I need a bigger harddisk soon. Heh heh.....
So we can download clips and books?
Will tell my wingchun brothers about this great site here in Singapore.
BTW any chance you can put up Ku Sifu clips on youtube soon?

Eric Ling
12-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Hi everybody,

Shadow Warrior8, I am working towards putting as much traditional CKF on-line as possible. Well like I said, I will be in West Malaysia tomorrow. There to talk to some CKF high hands regarding recording and archiving their syllabus in “WuLinIJia”.

In the coming months, I would be shuttling between Malaysia and Singapore before I start exploring the other regions in SE Asia; all with the intent of seeking out the old schools CKF.

Bigger drive? Nah…I think you should just burn DVDs…

Spent the afternoon watching a Wushu competition event here in Kuching.

Not really my “thing” but I was there to support the Wushu club that I “moonlight” as a traditional MA consultant.

Got a clip here of one of the boys, Fu Ming, doing his Wushu routine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLElVPEzL9c

This kid is really something; he is trained in the old ways and now he is one of the top Wushu athletics in this country.

Frankly at the rate he is going, I think he will be going places…..

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
12-12-2006, 06:57 AM
ooops... the previous link is bad....

This should do it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT6_NRss3BE

:D :D :D

Eric Ling
12-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Gooood morning folks,

One more clip before I fly off to Kuala Lumpur….http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUYNRfEigWM

Another upcoming kid doing “Nan Quan”. Except for 1 unstable moment, I think she did okay with her delivery…

Love working with these kids; youthful energies aside, these kids got a very strong bond amongst them.

Kudos to Mr. Chester Lim, the Chairman of the club, who spend countless hours training and grooming them.

I will be featuring these kids doing some of my traditional stuffs when I come back from my trip.

Well like I said, many of them already have good grounding in traditional CKF……

I also noticed youtude comments asking about the background music in some of the clips.

What can I say? I am into all sorts of music…. Rock, jazz, indie, hip-hop and these days I am collecting all sorts of ethnic music.

And Shakira …… “Oral fixacion” ….. lalalala…..

So besides my Amex card, I never leave home without my MP3 player….

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
12-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi everybody,

Just got in from Kuala Lumpur today….couldn’t fly yesterday because flights from KL to Kuching were all fully sold out due to school holidays’ traffic.

What a thrilling trip this has been! Met up with none other than Sifu Yap Boh Heong, son of Master Yap Cheng Hai.

Master Yap is, of course, the senior (if not most senior) disciple of the late GM Chee Kim Tong.

Sifu Yap, Sifu Lam and Sifu Chong showed me Wuzu Quan, the like of which, I have never seen before. Well, you live and you learn….

2 sessions with these high hands and I recorded no less than 10 forms from this extraordinary style.

Well, you can bet that Sifu Yap and I will be co-operating on many traditional CKF projects.

A clip of Sifu Yap’s rendition of GM Chee’s Wuzu Sanchiem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyJJZr7Yn90

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
12-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi everybody,

Snapshots from my KL trip last week.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DQbjplJiAM

You’ll find pics of Sifu Lum and Sifu Chong in the slide show. Both these gentlemen are from GM Chee’s Wuzu.

Sifu Lum, almost eighty, was very kind to not only demo forms; he spent a great deal of time walking me through the histories of GM Chee’s Wuzu and other styles popular in West Malaysia.

This Sifu even did Hungga’s “Ng Long Pak Kwa Kwon” and a rare Wing Chun “Double Butterfly” knives form for my camera.

Most laudable was his performance of the rarely seen “White Crane Washing Body” that he genially permitted to be recorded.

Sifu Chong is very active in promoting his Wuzu to regular schools in KL. Together with a Choy Li Fut friend, they are working hard in reviving interest in traditional CKF.

This young Sifu did “20 Fists”, Tai Chor Sanchiem, Monkey, “Shaolin Kai San” and 2 weapon forms.

Personally, I think CKF needs more of this Sifu’s attitude and zeal.

I spent many hours discussing, not just the past but also the future of traditional CKF with Sifu Yap, Sifu Lum and Sifu Chong.

Want to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to this group of wonderful Wuzu high hands for taking the time out to entertain me.

And to the late GM Chee; my highest regards…..

Eric

Firehawk4
12-19-2006, 10:32 PM
What can you tell me about this Shaolin Kai San form Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Fist has this form as its basic set ? Is this a common form among Southern Shaolin Systems i have herd only this form mentioned by another style that was a Wuzu Ngo Cho Kun style but they called it Hoi Sam Kun and Kai San .

Eric Ling
12-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Hi Robert,

All I know is this; "Kai San" or "Opening Mountain" is the entry form found in quite a few CKF styles.

"Hoi Sam" is the Cantonese pronounciation.

The form that I shot in KL, according to Sifu Yap, is "Shaolin Kai San" which is the beginner's form of Southern Shaolin.

The other Shaolin "San" form is "Hu San" or "Protecting Mountain", also taught in Shaolin lineages.

Got another clip here comprising of pictures extracted from a mainland WuZu manual.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RVD2LqUMEQ

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
12-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh.... the link in above message is DEAD!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Here's the new one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2piH1fF0Xqw

Anyway flying to Sibu again tomorrow.

To record their "Hornbill Trophy" MA competition.

Also to shoot more Kung Fu.

Got to start packing; will be away for a week minimun....

Warmest Regards.

Eric

boh
12-23-2006, 03:09 PM
hi all,

seeing that this is taught in our school, this is what I know. The form is actually a Shao Lin form and not Ngo Chor (WuZu).

Kai San Quan, the name means 'Opening the Mountain'. This was the first form taught traditionally to new Xao Lin temple recruits. It is simple enough for them to learn yet sophisticated enough to master. Hence a new students can be judged by the profficiency by which he has achieved in this form.

The name could come from the fact that to enter Xao Lin, is referred to as 'going up the mountain'

Hi Robert,

All I know is this; "Kai San" or "Opening Mountain" is the entry form found in quite a few CKF styles.

"Hoi Sam" is the Cantonese pronounciation.

The form that I shot in KL, according to Sifu Yap, is "Shaolin Kai San" which is the beginner's form of Southern Shaolin.

The other Shaolin "San" form is "Hu San" or "Protecting Mountain", also taught in Shaolin lineages.

Got another clip here comprising of pictures extracted from a mainland WuZu manual.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RVD2LqUMEQ

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
12-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Hi everybody,

Boh, good to see you here. How’s things in KL? Hope to read more & learn from your postings…

I am posting this from Sibu Sarawak. Here to cover a traditional CKF event and to shoot more of Sifu Xiong De Lu’s Wuzu Quan.

Another exciting turn of events for me; I was introduced to a Hakka Internal Chu Gar Praying Mantis Sifu here. Captured this Sifu, Liew, doing 3 of his Chu Gar PM forms and managed to interview him somewhat. We even arranged to meet again in his “kwon” to do more videos of his syllabus.

This is an exclusive family style and Sifu Liew is the 7th generation of this line of Chu Gar.

The “Internal” in the name is deliberate as this style emphasizes “internal jin” work.

I will post some of his clips when I get back to Kuching on New Year’s Eve.

And believe me folks, this Sifu got to be seen to be believed……

Got to run…got an appointment to meet some White Crane elders here….

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
12-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Hi everybody,

Just got in from Sibu.

What a trip this has been; besides covering the traditional CKF event held on the 22nd and 23rd, I spent the next 6 days meeting and shooting more Masters of diverse styles from all over Sibu.

This includes a session with one of the highest ranking White Crane Masters from the late GM Lee Kheng Kiang’s line.

The opportunity to observe and shoot this style of White Crane up-close is most fulfilling, to say the least.

I also met another Master who described 2 other styles that were prevalent in Sibu many years ago; “Dragon Tiger” and “Teochew Praying Mantis”.

So guess what I’ll be searching for next when I travel to Sibu….

Here’s a clip of Master Liew’s Chu Gar Internal Jin Praying Mantis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWJTQAUj1lw

In his 60s, Master Liew is in tip-top shape, evident in his delivery. His short range “fa-jin” is really exceptional and at no compromise in speed either.

Besides this empty-hand form, Master Liew also did a stick and double-butterflies knives form; both of which superbly presented.

My next assignment is to visit this Master and record more of this truly rare style…

Warmest Regards.

Eric

yat_chum
12-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Thankyou Eric for sharing your clips. I look forward to seeing more (I have a special interest in Fukien White Crane). Cheers Jo

Eric Ling
12-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi everybody,

Yat-chum, I got a “White Crane” clip pending at youtube.

This is me teaching and showing some basics to Edmund Wong, the young Hakka Prayng Mantis Sifu….

Next I would be putting up clips featuring Sifu Chen Chang Kang, a senor from the late GM Lee’s Shaolin White Crane.

Sifu Chen really needs special mention here. A coffee-shop operator, he works graveyard shift and run poultry deliveries in the day.

I met him at noon after all that work and on a wet soggy day, we sat down in his house for an interview and demo session.

He did a couple of empty-hands forms indoor and then moved the shooting outdoor for the long weapons.

And all through that, it was still drizzling…

There was even a portion with him doing a basic drill form with his dogs walking in and out of the camera range….

This man’s dedication is really overwhelming and to hear him say that he will pass on his knowledge no matter what is truly inspirational.

I will definitely be working with this Sifu again.

A Happy and Peaceful New Year to all.... Carlsberg's Cheers.....:D :D :D

Eric

Eric Ling
12-31-2006, 04:15 PM
okay, ny White Crane clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y7b2mpI7pQ

:) :) :)

Eric Ling
12-31-2006, 07:51 PM
Hi everybody,

Here another view of Sibu Sarawak http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty3nm9sPZ8w

This time round, I am trying to portray more the peoples of Sibu; the colorful ethnicity mix that is unique to Sarawak.

Really love this land where the old and new co-exist seamlessly. And of course the rich treasure stockpile of traditional fighting arts just waiting to be unearthed.

When I first arrived here, I already knew that Sarawak is one of those “Crouching Tigers Hidden Dragons” places.

But nothing prepared me for the sheer profusion and diversity of fighting arts that I am uncovering almost every other day.

The immigrant Chinese, indigenous Malay, Iban, Kenyah, Bidahyu... each with their distinct cultures and arts of fighting.

Add Carlsberg to that list, I should be here for a very long time.

Warmest regards (on a wet wet wet day)

Eric

yat_chum
12-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Hi Eric, what style of White crane do you do?

Eric Ling
01-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Hi Yat_chum,

I do Fuzhou Ancestral and Whoopng Crane; both very badly I must add…..

What you see in the clip comes from Ancestral Crane. The form is our version of “3 Battles Sanchin”.

Just like most other Fuzhou Cranes, Ancestral Crane teaches “whipping” energies reflected in most movements of this style.

I was peeping into the other thread; the one talking about White Crane fathering Wing Chun. Personally, I think considering an orally transmitted history is anything but accurate.

IMHO, examining underlying principles is more informative.

I don’t really know Wing Chun but almost all Fuzhou Cranes are exemplified by “whipping”.

This and the concept of 5 elements are the 2 most common distinguishing features prescribing how techniques and movements are then designed.

My Ancestral Crane salutation sequence comes in 5 movements denoting our version of 5 elements play.

I got Master Chen Shaolin White Crane clip pending.

Maybe it just here in Asia but youtube upload is really sluggish these last few days…..

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Hendrik
01-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Eric siheng,

Conglatulation on the Wulinijia.com.

Best Wishes and Happy New Year!

Hendrik

Eric Ling
01-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Hi Brother Hendrik,

Thank you.

Personally, I see it as very important to record and store traditional arts for future generations.

Just like the magazines and books published during our times, my website hopes to do the same in term of archiving….

The plus point now is of course we can view the arts in motion in video forms.

Okay the Shaolin White Crane clip I spoke about http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4503543241224588087&hl=en

Lousy day for shooting really with all that rain but I will be visiting Master Chen again very soon.

Better clips of Master Chen next time, I promise.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
01-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi everybody,

Got a clip here that I shot a while back – Master Kong doing some basics from Hakka Suppressing Tiger style. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlr_adP_3nM

Master Kong lives in the countryside (around here we call them “Kumpung”) not far from where I stay; about 20 minutes drive away.

He is retired but still active in his Kung Fu. Visited him at a wrong time though; he was nursing a nastily infected leg. You’ll see this stiff leg movement in the clip.

Still love his style; all that whipping…..

The one gripe that I’ve got about videos is how you can never feel the “wind” when a Master whips.

And when these Masters whip, it can get really “windy”…..

I will be seeing Master Kong soon about doing more videos.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
01-03-2007, 02:43 AM
Hi everybody,

Now this is what kung fu should be all about – touching hands and sharing….

In the clip, you first see me doing a couple of Whooping Crane basic moves on Sifu Yap of GM Chee Kim Thong’s Wuzu. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZASjKEQloKk

Next you’ll find Sifu Yap’s brilliant demo and explanation of his “Crane Jin” and Wuzu’s distinct manner of “sticking hands” drill.

Folks, I was there and Sifu Yap is really that relaxed and powerful at the same time.

The old gentleman standing in the back is Sifu Lam who later did a very interesting form – “White Crane Washing Body” for the camera.

Will be posting extract from that and other forms of this exceptional style.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
01-03-2007, 06:06 AM
Aha ....

youtube is not loading properly, so I was told.

The "Touching Hands" clip again http://video.google.com/videouploadfinished?docid=-8698997985947291922&cid=f01c2d6b3479880d

:D :D :D

Eric Ling
01-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Hi Shadow_warrior8,

You can “chi sao” me anything time you want and you've got absolutely nothing to worry about.

Now after a few Carlsberg, you might want to rethink...hahahaha

As far as Wing Chun/White Crane connection is concerned, my stand is still, look at essential principles. If there is a connection, it should show up in there.

Ask Master Ku about the discussion we had in a book store down in Bras Brasah Complex; we never spoke of histories but rather training and fighting methodologies. Master Ku described Whooping Crane concepts that could only have come from someone from within that system and yet he obtained them from his Wing Chun....

Your comments on butterfly knives reminds me of a discussion I had recently with an old Master; why are these knives known as "butterfly", "bat chum", "mother-son" and even "bao chung" or "covering elbow" by different folks?

Could it be the ways they are applied?

In White Crane, they are known as "White Crane Double Short Knives". In this case, the knives are not as broad as the ones you usually see...

Got another clip here:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em3MvHJdf3w

Front portion shows Master Xiong doing forms from GM Kan Teck Guan's Wuzu. For those of you looking for co-relation between Karate and CKF, this is one style to look into.

The extracts in the clip are from a on-going project that I mentioned earlier – record as much of this system as possible and make them available for those keen in studying this system.

Next we have Sifu Edmund Wong doing his Hakka Praying Mantis Fan Zhuang Quan.

A very enthusiastic young teacher, Edmund is now picking up some White Crane from me; with the permission of his father, his first Kung Fu teacher.

In Edmund, I see the future of traditional Kung Fu in my part of the world. Hardworking and constantly striving to improve his knowledge, I hope to spend more time with this young man.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
01-06-2007, 06:31 AM
Hi everybody,

You don’t live in a place like Malaysia and don’t come into contact with Silat, one way or another.

Got here a clip with footages taken at a Pencak Silat event held in Sarawak last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSfsR1Qmelg

To say that Sarawak is a treasure trove of Silats is so accurate.

And with Kalimantan Indonesian next door, this region represents the most important starting point for many styles of Silats.

For me, with my limited knowledge of Silats, this is gong to be another exciting discovery journey in the searching of traditional fighting arts

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
01-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi everybody….

“Touching Sticks”.

Got another short clip here showing the Wuzu folks and me playing with weapons.

Originally the plan was to shoot some empty-hand forms but we decided to explore principles embedded in the applications of various weapons from Wuzu and White Crane. So the shooting stretched into a 2nd day outdoors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3npDtG0KYs

First you see Sifu Yap, again brilliantly, showing the subtlety of his Wuzu Quan. With just but a simple turn of his wrist, he was able to check my stick coming in with a big swing.

The “immovable elbow” is so apparent in this system of Wuzu….

Nest you got yours truly sharing 2 basic stick techniques from my Fuzhou Crane.

Both techniques are derived from the “bridge breaking” principle taught when you first learn Ancestral Crane.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

mantis108
01-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks for sharing all the wonderful stuff, Eric. :) I particularly enjoy the stick hands and the stick clip.

Here's a little something that I believe southern styles folks can relate to:

CCK TCPM Wooden Dummy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq7iW1SJvl4#GU5U2spHI_4)

This form is performed by Sifu Galen Fok's (my mentor) disciple Sifu Andrew Yuen.

Long live the Shaolin wooden dummies! ;)

Warmest regards

Robert (Mantis108)

Eric Ling
01-10-2007, 01:30 AM
Hi everybody,

Robert thanks for that clip – real classy stuff…

Got another here to share :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETSfM8xLiKw

You see Sifu Yap and Chong engaged in a 2 men Sanchiem drill routine that trains, I believe, their characteristic 5 elements jin concept.

Talking to Sifu Yap, I also learned that his Wuzu takes this concept further into relating special jin with different component style, namely Lohan, Datmor, White Crane, Tai Chor and monkey.

In this case then, knowing the physical techniques is really just a portion of learning. Each technique is to be coupled with the corresponding jin for it to work effectively.

To understand this Wuzu, you gotta have complete comprehension of the jin engines and co-relationship as demonstrated in the clip.

Which also brings me to my next point and that is “core principles” of each Chinese Kung Fu style.

Every style starts with this, a central theme so to speak, and techniques are designed revolving around this.

Take my White Crane for instance; “whipping” is the crucial quality. In the words of my late Sifu; you don’t whip, you don’t have White Crane.

The shaking, vibrating and all that help you get there, the means and not the end.

I think it’s stupid to shake and vibrate in front of an opponent unless it’s Shakira or JLo….

Just like in Aikido, the circles of movements shrink with constant polishing until, theoretically it become just a point.

In White Crane, the body shaking/vibrating is evident with beginners and this diminishes over the years; they become internalized.

So if you refer to the old White Crane classics, you’ll read that “stillness” is the key ingredient.

Just like a loaded arrow-bow; you stay still, aim and then let go…even your breathing got to remain calm.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
01-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Hi everybody,

Down with a virus infection these last few days....

Feeling better now and ready to do some more no-good....

Another view of Master Liew taken during the Sibu Traditional CKF Event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koLEvmC8YLA

In fact I spoke to Master Liew just a while ago and made plan to visit him for more shooting this month's end..

Really love his Chu Gar Internal Jin Praying Mantis; fast, powerful and really tight .........

The stick form you see him do in the clip is done not with a “springy” staff but the hard solid type used by old schools.

You could literally hear the “hoop” sound each time Master Liew execute jin with the stick.

Same goes with his double-butterfly knives .... brillant.

Hmmmm, I wonder if he's taking any non-family member student.......

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
01-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Hi everybody,

Milan, thanks.....

Just received a bunch of videos from a friend here.

These videos include Choy Li Fut, Hungga, White Crane and some Hakka Praying Mantis....

Got a short clip here of a Malaysian Sifu doing Choy Li Fut's "Kao Dai"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7949404006018221438

I will try and post as much as possible for you folks.

In the meantime, my doctor has instructed to drink as much fluid as possible....Carlsberg's time.......

Warmest Regards.

Eric

TenTigers
01-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Eric,
I just got aquainted with a seventy year old Hung Kuen practitioner. He does dan gung fook fu kuen, seung gung fook fu kuen, Fu-hok seung ying kuen,samjien tiet sien kuen, and lo hon kuen. What do you make of this? He and I hit it off quite well, though due to the fact that he speaks less English than I do Cantonese, it is as he says,"Ngop tung Gai gong"-the duck is talking to the chicken! We shared playing our Fu-Hok Seung Kuen side by side. What an experience. He says he will teach me anything I want to learn-as we are now two men walking the same road.

Eric Ling
01-17-2007, 06:05 AM
Hi everybody,

Ten, I’ve seen so many different versions of Fook-Fu, Fu-Hok, Ng Yim etc that I don’t know what to think anymore. And mind you these are not “modern” interpretations but old forms that left with mainland Chinese immigrants and settled in my part of the world.

Maybe if you could show some videos of what you’re talking about especially the Samchien Tiet Sien and Lo Hon….

I have always thought that Tiet Sien and Sanzhan (Fukien/Fuzhou) share a mutual source and that is Lo Hon.

Must stress that I not looking at external display but more the essential principles/concepts.

My friend, this Sanzhan, Lohan and Tiet Sien association, real or otherwise, has been one of my “ghosts” for quite a spell now…..

Anyway got another clip of Wuzu Sanzhan here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQY1h_PX68

Taken off the same “Night Of Wushu” event that took place last year in Malaysia.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Eric Ling
01-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Aha, I see Mr. Martin Watts, Fu Jian White Crane practitioner, posting in this forum
…….

Mr. Watts got a clip here that might be of interest to you:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz7Dcx86TXA

These folks are from Master Su’s camp.. Cousins of yours maybe?

Got something else happening for me this Sunday; yesterday I was introduced to, yet another, Sifu here in Kuching.

Master Chong, a goldsmith, is the “custodian” of a style of kung fu known as “Fo Jia Tai Zu Quan” or translated to mean “Buddhist Grand Ancestor Fist”.

Errrhhh, some of you might know that I do a couple of Tai Zu moves myself and to be told that there’s another line of the same style is really piquing my interest…

I had tea with Master Chong and was told that his Tai Zu is an amalgamation of the tiger, crane, dragon and because of Hakka connection, you even find some Southern Praying Mantis influence.

Now now, you know I won’t pass this up for anything, so I am charging all my batteries and preparing for this Sunday’s outing…

Warmest Regards (on another wet wet wet day) aaarrrrggghhhhh…..

Eric

Hendrik
01-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Hi everybody,

In this case then, knowing the physical techniques is really just a portion of learning. Each technique is to be coupled with the corresponding jin for it to work effectively.

To understand this Wuzu, you gotta have complete comprehension of the jin engines and co-relationship as demonstrated in the clip.

Which also brings me to my next point and that is “core principles” of each Chinese Kung Fu style.

Every style starts with this, a central theme so to speak, and techniques are designed revolving around this.

Take my White Crane for instance; “whipping” is the crucial quality. In the words of my late Sifu; you don’t whip, you don’t have White Crane.

The shaking, vibrating and all that help you get there, the means and not the end.

I think it’s stupid to shake and vibrate in front of an opponent unless it’s Shakira or JLo….

Just like in Aikido, the circles of movements shrink with constant polishing until, theoretically it become just a point.

In White Crane, the body shaking/vibrating is evident with beginners and this diminishes over the years; they become internalized.

So if you refer to the old White Crane classics, you’ll read that “stillness” is the key ingredient.

Just like a loaded arrow-bow; you stay still, aim and then let go…even your breathing got to remain calm.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Brother Eric,

Excellent view.

To not repeat myself on typing again, the following is my view to share on SLT the core of Wing Chun, if anyone is interested in.

http://www.wingchunkuen.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=654

I also heard that you might also be involve in a WCK research project which involve White Crane. It is always great to know about your generous sharing.

Peace
Hendrik

TenTigers
01-21-2007, 05:58 PM
ok, this really pi$$ed me off to no end. A friend of mine said he was talking to a guy, who knew a guy...anyway he had said that Wing Chun WAS in fact developed by a woman-get this-to fend off attacks by men. He stated that since men grab at the breasts, this is why WC defends mostly the middle and upper gates, the body leans back, and there is no concern for real internal power development. Ok, so If the style was developed in the U.S. there would probably be more defenses against a grab to the butt!:rolleyes:
Frankly, I find this to be a load. So in the interest of the preservation of WC's honor, Eric-do you have any clips of mainland WC that show more emphasis on the internal, cum-la sao,etc? pleez?
yeah, I know this is gonna bring up a whole hornet's nest-let me state that Iam in no way in aggreement with this claim. It just bothered me, as I used to train in WC as well.

Hendrik
01-21-2007, 06:14 PM
ation of WC's honor, Eric-do you have any clips of mainland WC that show more emphasis on the internal, cum-la sao,etc? pleez?

The issue is it is very difficult to find people who could do Yee lead Qi and transport the physical even at a beginer level today. May be due to we all have less and less time to train, and our diet, our life style is not aiding the internal training.

I think the closes one on this subject one can find is the clip from GM TST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJX216fiIbs

Beside, as Eric put it.

"In White Crane, the body shaking/vibrating is evident with beginners and this diminishes over the years; they become internalized.

So if you refer to the old White Crane classics, you’ll read that “stillness” is the key ingredient." -----Eric

at the advance level is just "stillness".
as it said in the Kuen Kuit.
"Yee moves Shen is there"
"Thus, Thus not moving is the true Yin and Yang. The jewel influctuate thus application is limitless."

It will be difficult to know even if one saw a clip from those who has the cultivation not to mention they always could hide...

Peace