PDA

View Full Version : guy fawkes night ALL MUST CELEBRATE

golden arhat
11-03-2006, 02:32 PM
do u yanks celebrate it
if u dont its celebrating our execution of guy fawkes and his band of catholic plotters who tried to blow up parliament in the 1600's

its a national celebration here in the uk and its on november 5th
its basically an excuse to light fires and play with fireworks

if u want to join in u will need
fireworks (as many as u can get)
lots of fire wood
an effigy of guy(guido) fawkes
english sympathies
and the following saying
"remember remember the 5th of november gunpowder treason and plot"

u might want snacks aswell

it goes like this
light the fire works
light all the wood in one big lump (we call it a bonfire dont know about u )
burn the effigy of the guy on the bonfire
say the saying (preferably shouting it all at once)
eat the snacks
have a good time
think kind thoughts towards us brits
perform some kung fu if u want lol

little known trivia
there is actually a school here in england (a catholic school) that refuses to celebrate guy fawkes night as guy fawkes was an old pupil
trufax

HAPPY GUYFAWKES NIGHT !!!

David Jamieson
11-03-2006, 02:48 PM
have my v mask and trainload of dynamite ready to go!

I've fedexed V masks to every address in the canada post database.

nov 5th will be a right holler!

golden arhat
11-03-2006, 02:53 PM
:D i love ppl with english sympathies
thats why i love candians
burn those catholics
wooooyeeeeaah :D

i love guy fawkes night

David Jamieson
11-03-2006, 03:05 PM
british people have become sheep.

canadians are still less sheepish.

we'll have an emergency debate at midnight if it comes to thinking about whether we should debate the need to debate a war that we could arguably find ourselves in so long as we unanimously agree to send it to commitee following the first 65 debates and the firts and second readinsg of any buill that should come of it before sending it to the senate....for further debate.

at least we don't allow the privacy invasions they seme to enjoy in the uk. BUt that's debatable. :D

golden arhat
11-03-2006, 03:12 PM
we are sheep ?
then feel sorry for us
lol thats english sympathies

did u hear about the minute mens sister group that patrol tha american-canadian border lol i lmao when i heard that
the similarity betwen the brits and candians is that we can act superior to americans for not fukin everythin up lol
but not for 4 long as we r quickly going the american way
CANDIANS BRITS QUICKLY ACT SUPERIOR WHILE U STILL CAN
lol

golden arhat
11-03-2006, 03:15 PM
privacy invasions ?
*fred looks suspiciously behind him*

lol its usually me doing the invading
its kind of a national sport
other than football ( no not your kind the proper sort u know the kind actually played mostly with feet)

GeneChing
11-03-2006, 03:47 PM
I'll do it if Natalie (http://www.cswu.cz/natalieportman/fotky/np_vog09.jpg) comes.

lkfmdc
11-03-2006, 03:59 PM
I thought Gene was gonna create a link to an article about Guy that ran in a previous issue of Kung Fu magazine :D

GeneChing
11-03-2006, 04:13 PM
She stole my heart as Darth Vader's ball and chain (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43797).

David Jamieson
11-05-2006, 10:52 AM
she's sexy

AJM
11-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Wow! We went from jesuit plots to Natalie Portman in nano seconds. That's cool.

GeneChing
11-04-2011, 10:50 AM
So, is the Occupy movement going to explode tomorrow night? Or is the movement too leaderless to remember why they were those masks?

http://www.walyou.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/revolutionary-v-for-vendetta-mask-of-guy-fawkes.jpg

Guy Fawkes mask inspires Occupy protests around the world (http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/04/world/europe/guy-fawkes-mask/)
By Nick Thompson, CNN
updated 1:32 PM EST, Fri November 4, 2011

London, England (CNN) -- Generations of Britons have grown up pledging to "Remember remember the fifth of November: Gunpowder, treason and plot" -- the figure of Guy Fawkes linked forever with fireworks, bonfires and childhood fun.

Now -- more than four hundred years after the gruesome death of the man who plotted to blow up the Houses of Parliament with barrels of gunpowder -- members of the Occupy and Anonymous movements are hoping to provide their own reason to remember Guy Fawkes Night.

On Saturday, November 5, hundreds of protesters wearing the sinister black and white Guy Fawkes masks plan to march on Parliament in central London.

"It will be a night our government never forgets," Malcolm, a member of hacker group Anonymous, said with a smile. "Our government should be expecting us."

The march will recreate one of the final scenes of "V for Vendetta," a film based on the comic books by Alan Moore about a mysterious masked revolutionary who brings down a totalitarian regime, succeeding where Fawkes failed by blowing up parliament.

The Guy Fawkes mask, worn by V, the film's protagonist -- with its diabolical grin, devilish black moustache and thin goatee on a porcelain white background -- has become the talisman of a new generation of activists as an unprecedented wave of disgust and anger with establishment figures has swept the world.

While the mask has been spotted in Occupy protests from Oakland to Hong Kong in the past month as people rally against what they perceive as growing corporate greed and rising social inequality, the mask was first embraced by international hacker ring Anonymous in 2008.

The group of hackers, notorious for their online attacks on high profile banks and government agencies, first wore the masks to conceal their identities in public protests against the Church of Scientology in 2008.

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange recently wore one to a rally at St. Paul's Cathedral in London, where Occupy protesters and members of Anonymous have been camping in tents since the demonstration began three weeks ago.
Guy Fawkes was the only man ever to enter Parliament with honest intentions.
Member of Anonymous UK

Malcolm, a 44-year-old Anonymous member and camper, says the mask has become "an international symbol for rebellion and anonymity."

"The point of wearing the mask is to be able to go to a protest without fear of retribution or aggression from the establishment," he said, his mask perched on the crown of his head.

"I have no problem with anyone having my identity, but I like the fact I can choose not to."

Joshua Whitfield, 19, is a fan of the Vendetta books but says it doesn't matter why people choose to wear it.

"Some people wear it to make a fashion statement, others because they know what it's about," he said. "I thought I would show my support for the book and for Anonymous by picking up a mask and being part of the movement."

The popularity of the mask -- an estimated 100,000 were sold last year -- has created a bit of a conundrum for activists who are trying to undermine, not support, businesses owned by the establishment.

Time Warner (which also owns CNN) owns the rights to the masks, meaning every mask sold puts more money, albeit a small amount, into the corporation's coffers.

Rather than continue to give money to a company they say they don't support, activists are now having their own replica masks mass-produced and shipped in from Asia, according to several Anonymous members.

Rather than buy an officially licensed mask at a shop in central London, Whitfield said he was able to purchase his mask from an Anonymous member for £3 ($4.80).

"We don't really want people putting money into corporate pockets, and this is one of our solutions," explained Anonymous's Malcolm.

In the four centuries since Fawkes was sentenced to death -- by hanging, drawing and quartering -- for his treason, there has been much debate in Britain over whether he was a terrorist or a freedom fighter.

Ironically Fawkes, far from being the anti-establishment hero he has come to be seen as in the years since his death, was a monarchist who merely wanted to replace the Anglican king with a Catholic queen.

But it is perhaps his "man of action" persona that most intrigues anti-establishment activists today, and Malcolm is quick to repeat the age-old adage about Fawkes.

"As they say -- Guy Fawkes was the only man ever to enter Parliament with honest intentions," he said with a grin.

Remember, remember, the 5th of November
The Gunpowder Treason and plot ;
I know of no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes,
'Twas his intent.
To blow up the King and the Parliament.
Three score barrels of powder below.
Poor old England to overthrow.
By God's providence he was catch'd,
With a dark lantern and burning match

Holloa boys, Holloa boys, let the bells ring
Holloa boys, Holloa boys, God save the King!

Hip hip Hoorah !
Hip hip Hoorah !

A penny loaf to feed ol'Pope,
A ****hing cheese to choke him.
A pint of beer to rinse it down,
A ***got of sticks to burn him.
Burn him in a tub of tar,'
Burn him like a blazing star.
Burn his body from his head,
Then we'll say: ol'Pope is dead.

wenshu
11-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Restore the Catholic Monarchy!!

David Jamieson
11-06-2011, 08:53 AM
On a revised set of thoughts, screw that theocratic terrorist and all teh crap swirling around him.

I've changed my mind in an absolute sense.

trickery! Trickery most foul to wave the banner in the name of Guido Fawkes, the Catholic traitor!!! :p

seriously, screw that guy. grrrr.

GETHIN
11-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Guy Fawkes was captured just as he was about to detonate his explosives... it's generally accepted that he didn't have anything like enough gunpowder to do much damage. He was taken to the tower of London where he was given the rack and forced into naming his fellow conspirators.
Here's the interesting bit... he was sentenced to be 'hung, drawn and quartered', but he had been 'racked' so badly he could barely stand, and whilst climbing the scaffold to the gallows, he fell off and broke his neck...

Liokault
11-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Guy Fawkes was captured just as he was about to detonate his explosives... it's generally accepted that he didn't have anything like enough gunpowder to do much damage. He was taken to the tower of London where he was given the rack and forced into naming his fellow conspirators.
Here's the interesting bit... he was sentenced to be 'hung, drawn and quartered', but he had been 'racked' so badly he could barely stand, and whilst climbing the scaffold to the gallows, he fell off and broke his neck...

Yeah, it was a bit of a farce all the way through.

My favorit bit is where they conspiritors blew themselfs up while trying to dry wet gun powder by spreading it out in front of an open fire.

David Jamieson
11-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Yes, they were idiots. Idiots with religious conviction...

wenshu
11-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Haha, ****ing idiots.

The hacker group Anonymous is responsible for attacks on Visa, defense contractors, the Church of Scientology and even NATO. Naturally, such anarchic schemes require a certain amount of secrecy, and its members have chosen an apt cover-up. They don masks in the likeness of Guy Fawkes, the 17th century anarchist who tried to blow up Parliament in protesting the corruption of the English government.

The beige mask, with its rosy cheeks and pencil-thin mustache and goatee, has become the veritable symbol of the hackers after its pivotal appearance in the 2006 movie V for Vendetta, about a British revolutionary who acted in the style of Guy Fawkes. It’s the top-selling mask on Amazon, and the image appears every time Anonymous makes the news. The mask has become a representation of fighting corruption in business and government.

But there’s one unintentional consequence – their disguise is earning big bucks for a major media conglomerate. Warner Brothers, the Time Warner subsidiary who produced the movie, owns the rights to the Guy Fawkes mask – and they earn royalties on every sale. (Obligatory disclaimer: Time Warner is also TIME’s parent company, so in an extremely roundabout way, we’re also profiting from this.) While Time Warner hasn’t released any data related to their earnings from the masks, it’s safe to say that the hundreds of thousands of Guy Fawkes masks sold each year helps to bring sure profit to the company.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/08/29/how-time-warner-profits-from-the-anonymous-hackers/

Hai, lets put on our Guy Fawkes masks and go protest corporate greed. Don't forget to bring your MacBook so we can blog about it.

http://www.google.com//finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chfdeh=0&chdet=1320699600000&chddm=1173&chls=IntervalBasedLine&q=NASDAQ:AAPL&ntsp=0

Drake
11-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Well, they certainly aren't hacking away with homemade chipsets and NIC cards... wonder if they used their VISA cards to buy any of their hardware? :)

wenshu
11-07-2011, 02:31 PM
wonder if they used their mom's VISA cards to buy any of their hardware? :)

fixed.
////

David Jamieson
11-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Fawkes wasn't an anarchist...they are idiots.

yeesh, technical skills mean nothing if you lack common sense...