PDA

View Full Version : Theory of the center line

canglong
11-06-2006, 11:56 AM
What is center line theory and how do you train center line theory and how important is it to your training?

Wu Wei Wu
11-06-2006, 01:38 PM
IMO, anone that does Wing Chun would find it impossible NOT to train central line principles. With the exception perhaps of the emergency provisions provided by Biu Tze, everything is based upon an understanding of central line.

As to how it is trained... Siu Lien Tao, Chum Kiu, Jong, Chi Sao, Gor Sau... etc etc.

canglong
11-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Wu Wei Wu,
Yes what you said makes sense just wondering if you can be more specific. When you train in theory if you are attacking your opponents center where are your hands, elbow, knee and feet etc. in relationship to that center line?

When drilling specifically you can just choose one of the ones you mentioned and explain more how a certain drill trains the practicioner regarding center line theory.

Thanks

k gledhill
11-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Its more, protecting ones own centerline while attacking....the way to attack while defending at the same time, focusing on the attack and letting the arms travel on the centerline as the SLT teaches. The chum kil is the way to manouver our SLT to the attack or counter the line of force presented.
The C~line is an imaginary line extending in front of you where your wrists X at the begining of each hand form. The wrists x on this line to engage and deflect anything they meet...like sweeping a 'triangle zone' created by shoulder /elbow/ wrist , on the way to a target. Using the forearms inside and out as the deflecting surfaces. If the elbows are trained to be on or near the C~line the correct forearm angles will be achieved to utilize the unique action that is VT.
We fight with an unatural [at first] position relatively square to attacks until we learn to move and angulate to the movement of the attacks , always attempting to be on the outside of an attacking bodys arms . By doing this "flanking" we can use the C~line theory to easily overwhelm someone and trap/control them to eliminate the ability to 'face' us and recover the C~line themselves.....:D
The C~line is developed by keeping the elbows tight to it so they move off the C~line only when they are in the final action of hitting then recovery to the line again as SLT teaches ...its not easy to maintain so doing it slowly in SLT isnt for 'internal' chi bs its just to have the simple ability to keep your elbows in longer than the next guy....
try this to get a little idea ..
put your right fist by your left armpit [ intentional exageration] elbow on the centerline
...now try to punch from this postiton KEEPING the elbow on the line as long as you can until your finished punching...while the wrist stays on the OPPOSITE side of the same C~line....drawing a line across your forearm from outside wrist to inside elbow and you have the basic arm position to hit outside or inside depending on your Pec muscles ....the primary focus throughout the training is to keep the fist going to target while keeping elbows in and NOT looking for the attacking arm , not as easy as it sounds...

Andrew Williams
11-06-2006, 06:41 PM
I would suggest that by starting movement with the elbows on the centre line that you are not allowing the body to function optimally, it is posturally in inefficient, and when you do punch, palm...etc, that the elbows then do not travel in a straight line toward your oponent and their centre line. The centre line being "the line of gravity".

azwingchun
11-06-2006, 09:54 PM
I agree about the elbow on centerline......for one this isn't easy for all. Let's look at a very well built female for example......she will have a very hard time even coming close to centerline. And to be honest, I had this same problem a few times with guys that where either overweight or just very well built in the chest area.

Without it seeming like I am being critical of this elbow on center theory, I have to say that when I orginally trained this way, it for one never felt natural and two, I never could picture this triangle or wedge principle. There is no wedge when the hand and elbow are both on center (or the very same line...it is just a straight line) in my opinion. The Wing Chun I train/teach today has hand on center elbow in front of hip....this to me is very natural, and the wedge/triangle principle is there physically and not just as a spoken principle.

By the way (for what it's worth), we only train centerline in the SLT, then as the student starts moving around it then becomes more about the coreline and less about the centerline.

k gledhill
11-06-2006, 10:21 PM
The idea is to train 100% elbows on line, when you need it if only 75% comes out you'll be ok , when fighting its meant to be our slave not our master. i.e. we dont go into a fight trying to touch our centerlines with elbows ...most fights [mine ] will only require hitting the target [usally the head]...the training we go through , dan chi sao/ loksao...is to ensure that IF in the fast and unpredictable scenarios encountered our centers wont become vulnerable as we attack someone. And if we make contact its only because we met thearm trying to hit the head again and kept the elbows low not allowing the whole arm to lever at the shoulder....or deflect off target. Something the dummy helps to refine.
The whole system is devoted to this simple thinking.