PDA

View Full Version : my hop ga clip

htowndragon
11-06-2006, 01:40 PM
so i learned this one technique from sifu david chin over the summer from a half hour or so training session with him privately in the hallway at taiji legacy, im going to NC to train with him officially this thanksgiving. we were in the bathroom and my friend john decided to film this, and put it up on youtube. this is after a couple months of practicing, enjoy, i guess?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SckOMWlfbEo

SevenStar
11-06-2006, 07:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPUdzlq8SjE

lkfmdc
11-06-2006, 09:57 PM
CTS method of play was different, slower, more power based, but darn it, that's still the closest I've seen to his Lama... and that guy's sifu is the son of one of CTS's sifu (Dang Yuet San)

htowndragon
11-07-2006, 12:51 AM
coach ross, could u give me a constructive criticism of my chyuun choi? i know uve been in the lama game for a long time and knows a lot.

lkfmdc
11-07-2006, 02:39 PM
I don't know if he was just showing you Chyuhn or not, but in our tradition, he left out the Bin before the Chyuhn... but it is a common error students make. IE if you are throwing a right Chyuhn, your left hand extends first IN FRONT OF YOU, with the thumb up, then continues behind you (also THUMB UP) then the chyuhn comes out....

diego
11-07-2006, 03:51 PM
so i learned this one technique from sifu david chin over the summer from a half hour or so training session with him privately in the hallway at taiji legacy, im going to NC to train with him officially this thanksgiving. we were in the bathroom and my friend john decided to film this, and put it up on youtube. this is after a couple months of practicing, enjoy, i guess?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SckOMWlfbEo
It's a good focused punch...in the hop ga I learned, for the warm up we use the left hand in an inward hooking and wiping away motion, then the right comes up in vertical punch to solar plexus/chest area...can use index finger knuckle or do what you do with the horizontal punch to the chin or what not.

htowndragon
11-07-2006, 04:23 PM
coach ross

in hop ga, from my understanding, and what chin sifu told me, is that the lead hand "wipes", then the chyuun comes out.

from the masters youve seen, are there variations of the chyuun, or do they all have the bian chui (bin choi) before the chyuun?

diego
11-08-2006, 02:20 AM
coach ross

in hop ga, from my understanding, and what chin sifu told me, is that the lead hand "wipes", then the chyuun comes out.

from the masters youve seen, are there variations of the chyuun, or do they all have the bian chui (bin choi) before the chyuun?

The Hop Gar I learned comes from the same branch as David Chin's, and I was taught to get good at the wide stances, and then when you get into the more close range fighting your stance coils and becomes more compact. Bring your nonweighted leg in close to your support leg and drop the knee close to the ground. From all that we won't stretch the arm outback in traditional longrange fashion, the rear hand will gaurd the ribs or temple in a tiger claw or palm position...this creates a better gaurd for standard boxing tactics and makes for quicker more precise hitting while using the stance changes.

htowndragon
11-08-2006, 02:56 AM
diego,

didnt ur hop gar go from GM Ng to the kajukenbo guy, etc. then to u? how do u think it defers? i would love to hear what differences there are in ur version of hop ga

Lama Pai Sifu
11-08-2006, 07:19 AM
It's a good focused punch...in the hop ga I learned, for the warm up we use the left hand in an inward hooking and wiping away motion, then the right comes up in vertical punch to solar plexus/chest area...can use index finger knuckle or do what you do with the horizontal punch to the chin or what not.

That sounds exactly like how we learned it as well. Biin, Chuyhn. Not that you can't 'chuyhn' someone in the face, but it's a solar plexus/rib area strike for the most part.

diego
11-08-2006, 06:19 PM
That sounds exactly like how we learned it as well. Biin, Chuyhn. Not that you can't 'chuyhn' someone in the face, but it's a solar plexus/rib area strike for the most part.

In almost all of my drills the punch goes to the chest...but we do have this one technique...after you hit the groin area you shuffle forward and execute a face shot with the same hand... we use the vertical fist for this, but horizontal fist would work aswell...kinda off topic but an alternative to the double punch with the same arm would be to hit him in the solar area with the right in a horizontal fist, then shuffle forward and right horizontal elbow to his left temple...like you would block a right punch with your left in right leg crane stance, shuffle to left leg stance and punch solar then shuffle again in left leg crane and left grabs his hair and right elbow to temple.

The techniques I learned from Hop Gar seem to try to get as many hits in as you can, and to answer your question Htown, as far as I know it seems David Chin got the traditional system...wheras my stepdad's teacher was simply taught how to streetfight with Hopga...I heard he was taught like just line drills and not that many sets!? I've only seen David Chin's grey Hopga book, but would love to find out more:)
About the Kajukenbo mix...my teacher's teacher had black belt in kajukenbo and i don't know how much Hopgar technique...he taught his students what he knew...so it's basically like streetfighting-kickboxing mixed with Hopgar multiple opponnent fighting tactics...all I know is he had his students hard sparring within a month which comes from the kajukenbo training I think...most kungfu schools don't throw on the gloves for like a year or whatever, and he was all about streetfighting, but he also has crazy forms where you change up stance and strike in every available direction which is straight Hopga stratagies...I only know the basics and my stepdad only learned half the system before his teacher was killed....his basics look better than a lot of kung fu guys whole system tho...:cool:

htowndragon
11-08-2006, 06:45 PM
ive heard rumors, can u tell me what exactly happened with the kajukenbo guy? kaido?

diego
11-10-2006, 06:03 PM
ive heard rumors, can u tell me what exactly happened with the kajukenbo guy? kaido?

Shot in a gambling house over a petty beef in the mid to late 80's. :)

htowndragon
11-11-2006, 11:07 PM
i heard he was an OG lol

Steeeve
11-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Long time diego i don t talk to u ....

Kaido or alexander be shot thats it end ....Diego always in BC?

By the way kaido was very good ....u could not imagine .....this guy was very small put could kick ur ass and he kick a lot of ass....ask anybody in montreal
the old timer could remember him......

whats about this discussion ....chyung chui is chyung chui....

diego
11-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Long time diego i don t talk to u ....

Kaido or alexander be shot thats it end ....Diego always in BC?

By the way kaido was very good ....u could not imagine .....this guy was very small put could kick ur ass and he kick a lot of ass....ask anybody in montreal
the old timer could remember him......

whats about this discussion ....chyung chui is chyung chui....

Hey bud, long time no see:) Drop me an email at hopgarjt@yahoo.com curious if you found out more about Kaido's school.
cheers

Fook Kuil
11-23-2006, 02:17 PM
I didnt think it had power also it was too slow and would get you killed in the street using that long slow punch especially against a boxer or a beginner in short hand systems like wingchun.

Thanks for the clip all the same.... :D