PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of a rash guard

Iron_Eagle_76
11-07-2006, 08:39 AM
I have personally never worn a rash guard when grappling and would like to know who on here uses them and if they are of any benefit. The type of grappling I do is no gi submission wrestling. Any experience or pros and cons of using a rash guard would be appreciated.

MasterKiller
11-07-2006, 08:51 AM
A) cuts down on mat rash

b) cuts down on infections like ringworm and staph

c) gives opponent less handles to grab versus a loose t-shirt

The only con I see is that you can get pretty warm in them, so if your gym is hot you can get uncomfortable. Also, it makes you 'less slick' so you can't rely on sweat lubing your arms to slip out of some holds.

I just buy long-sleeve 'underarmor' knockoffs from Wal-Mart for $11/shirt. They are pretty durable and function the same way.

Knifefighter
11-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Helps to keep opponent's feet & hands from getting caught up in material like they do with t-shirts.

Harder for opponent to do t-shirt based collar chokes... on the other hand, this can be a disadvantage since you do not learn to defend these types of chokes.

T-shirts get too heavy and wet from sweat.

Rash guards are very durable and don't rip easily.

If you do a lot of no-gi grappling, rash guards are the way to go.

SevenStar
11-07-2006, 05:00 PM
I really don't know anybody who has been grappling for any length of time who hasn't worn a rashguard. You should definitely invest in a few.