PDA

View Full Version : Gary Lam German Seminar & 2007 UK seminar

chisauking
11-09-2006, 05:31 AM
Just got back from Gary's seminar a few days ago, and I thought some of you might be interested in my trip, so here's an quick account of my journey…

Had to plead and beg to get 2 days' off work, so in order to make the most of my time, I'd to make my way to Birmingham airport straight from work, after having just worked 14-hours' on Saturday night. Bombed down the motorway at 100 MPH plus to get to the airport in time to catch the early morning flight to Munich - or munchen, as they say in Germany. Unusually, the flight was running on time, and I'd arrive in Munich ahead of schedule. Took a taxi - they all use a common as muck Mercedes' Benz as cabs - to Uli's place, which cost me 50 euros, which is approx £35 (very expensive for a 25-minute ride).

By the time I'd reached Uli's kwoon, it was 10am and they'd already started. I'd missed the first day of the seminar, so this was the second day and they'd started on the po-pai drills. It was great fun learning different ways in which we can set-up and enter a po-pai. By 12 O'clock we'd broken for lunch. Some of us went to the pub just across from Uli's. I didn't know what to order, so I'd just doubled up on what sifu Lam had ordered. The beer was very good, and we had a nice piece of pork with gravy, complimented by what looked liked a scoop of mash potato, but it was jelly like in texture. After finishing lunch, we want back for the second half of the seminar.

The second part of the seminar covered even more po-pai, which Gary said was only practised by WSL lineage practitioners. Then we want to the drill that I'd enjoyed the most - chasing your opponent's centre line using 2 points. This part was really, really fun, and it had most people sweating buckets. It was hilarious seeing people bouncing off each other as we were all chasing our partners around the room, and we were all experimenting on different ways to break our opponent's 2 contact points on our body. Gary wanted to cover more permutations of this drill with us more quickly than most could absorb, and before we realise - and all too soon for me - the seminar had come to an end. It was time yet again for the obligatory photo sessions. After everybody had their photos taken, people started to leave. (As an after thought, it was quite apparent from the amount of teachers \ sifus in attendance that there was less of an egotesticle thing over there. Here in the UK, you will seldom see teachers \ sifus from other lineages attending other people's seminars and actively part-take in it. Whether this is down to shyness or fear of revealling their true ability I don't know. But one thing I do know, they are missing out on a lot of fun!)

After Uli's seminar, Gary had further business to attend to in Germany. I had the pleasure of accompanying sifu Lam on his trip. We were taken to the first port of call (Essington - or there about) by one of the seminar participants in his Porsce 911. It was a beautiful car, but I have to say it was one of the most uncomfortable journeys of my life. I was squeezed into the back seats together with a rather large gentleman who'd happened to be going towards the same direction. Gary was sitting in the front seat, but because he's so big, he was no more comfortable than us at the back. It was a sight to behold - the only way to describe it was sardines packed in a can! To Gary's credit, he didn't complain once throughout the journey, but once we had reached our destination, we thought we'd lost the use of our legs LOL. The one consolation to the awful cramp ride was that en route to Essington the scenery was beautiful. You can see far into the distant horizon, with the sun glowing an amber yellow, and backdrop of mountains that was confetti of autumn colours as we approached our destination.

The second day of Gary's business took us to Ludwigsburg, a small town near Stuttgart, which was quite charming and apparently the name originates from king Ludwig. Obviously, his trip was wing chun related, so we had the opportunity to see first hand how the Germans approach the martial arts business. From what we saw, I can say that they are very professional. Their schools are not like the typical UK kungfu schools, where it's usually the local chilly school hall or scout hut. Over Germany, the schools are normally dedicated kungfu schools that's very well equipped, offering a wide range of martial arts besides wing chun. On their walls adorn pictures of many prominent martial artist, so it's evident that the Germans don't mind spending money in order to bring in the very best. As a result of this professionalism, you see a lot more females taking part. If anything, the Germans are even more fanatical about wing chun -- indeed, martial arts in general -- then the British or American counterparts.

I'd to get back for work, so my journey with Gary ended in Stuttgart -- Schumacher land, where they are crazy about cars and where most worshipped in the church of Mercedes' Benz. Gary and one of the German wing chun guys dropped me off at Stuttgart train station to make my own way back to Munich, so that I could get back in time for work later the same night. I would have loved to see more of this fascinating city, but my time had ran out, so I guessed I have to leave it until April before I see more of this city. All in all, it was a fantastic time for me, and as usual, I'd learnt plenty from Gary.

Summery of events…

The seminar was very well attended with practitioners coming from wide and far.

Germany is a beautiful country, but just like all European countries that have gone over to the euro, everything can be a bit pricey.

The martial art clubs are far more professional there, and as a result, far more people across the board practice some form of martial arts there, with definitely more notable presence of females.

As usual, sifu Lam's seminar was more than worthwhile, and he tries to give you more than you can absorb - in other words, more than what you paid for. He is very detailed and precise with his analyse of your techniques, and he doesn't hold anything back. Unlike most wing chun sifu's, he's very approachable and he will answer any questions you can throw at him wing chun related.

Best of all, he's confirmed that he would like me to organise his next UK seminars in summer 2007. There will probably be 3 topics in total, covering Cross hands, Chum-kil, and Mook yan chong (up to mid section). The seminar will be held in London and the midlands, and maybe - if there's demand - up north, say, Manchester. After the UK seminar, there will be a possiblity that he will go streight to Holland.

Again, I know it's hard to believe, but I'm not exaggerating sifu Lam's skill to promote him. He's truly as good as he makes out in his dvds. I can assure 99% of wing chun practitioners that chisau with him would be entitled to a free piece of pie - humble pie! If you are interested in attending one of his seminars this summer, or would be interested in hosting him for a private class \ seminar, give me a call by email or phone. I will post further details later on in the year.

Big thanks to Uli for organising the seminar and sifu Lam for coming all the way to Germany. (Can't wait for the return in April for the mook yan chong seminar)

Choi

Tel: 07836 600832
Email: sifu@chisau.com

p.s. As most who knows me would know, I'm a very busy man, therefore this short write up has been late in posting.

Ernie
11-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Choi-I'd to make my way to Birmingham airport straight from work, after having just worked 14-hours' on Saturday night. Bombed down the motorway at 100 MPH plus to get to the airport in time

Man talk about flash backs Mario - Chi sau king Dretti ! ;)

all I can say is the mothership has left ! be fun to see what comes of it from the sidelines :D

stricker
11-09-2006, 01:08 PM
hey choi,

good write up! sounds like you had fun, but im suprised at your treachery i remember you saying you only drank english ale!

ernie,

boy your lucky adam was about in september :D

oh and great news for 07!

chisauking
11-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Ernie: Got to make most of time, man. Life is too short not to be practising wing chun.

Jon: Call me weak-minded, but put a good pint in front of me -- irrespective of country of origin -- and I will drink it. Got to give the Germans credit though, they do brew a very, very good pint. However, I still think English beer (ale) is still the best in the world -- and that's coming from a connoisseur of cask ales!

Anyway, I hope you can make it to Gary's 07 seminar. Have you upgraded (as Gary would say) your wing chun skills since we last met?

Vajramusti
11-09-2006, 09:45 PM
The second part of the seminar covered even more po-pai, which Gary said was only practised by WSL lineage practitioners.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
((Enjoyed reading your report on the seminar. BTW- development and practical application and analysis of po pai jeung- IMO is not limited to WSL lineage
practitioners.))Joy C

Mr Punch
11-09-2006, 11:05 PM
The second part of the seminar covered even more po-pai, which Gary said was only practised by WSL lineage practitioners.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
((Enjoyed reading your report on the seminar. BTW- development and practical application and analysis of po pai jeung- IMO is not limited to WSL lineage
practitioners.))Joy CYeah, I thought that was a bit odd too. I've done po pai in two non-WSL lines (extensively in one) and one of my training partners (also non-WSL) considers it a speciality of his line.

Otherwise great news all round!

chisauking
11-10-2006, 05:03 AM
Joy & Mr. punch: I think Gary may have been refering to a particular po-pai entry -- not po-pai itself.

Sorry for the confusion. (You guys can po-pai me if we get the chance to meet) :p

Gert
11-10-2006, 07:16 AM
p.s. As most who knows me would know, I'm a very busy man, therefore this short write up has been late in posting.

Hey Choi,

If you call this a short report, I wonder what would have happend if you had the time. :)

It was nice and fun to read. When you make the comments about the bear, I can hear you say it, as you said it in Malvern: "the English bear is the best in the world mate!"

Hope all is well!

Greetings,

GJ.

Dan_chi_sau
11-10-2006, 08:12 AM
all sounds like another great weekend.......wetting our appetites here in leicester, cant wait for next uk seminar, looking forward to it already.

Choi, might pop over with dan sometime between here and february, been talking about it, and Im missing your shaolin mock chicken chow mein. Ill email you when we make more plans, and we'll pop over for a roll, chow mein and a pint. Just have to figure out a time to suit all.
Dan Robinson

stricker
11-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Jon: Call me weak-minded, but put a good pint in front of me -- irrespective of country of origin -- and I will drink it. Got to give the Germans credit though, they do brew a very, very good pint. However, I still think English beer (ale) is still the best in the world -- and that's coming from a connoisseur of cask ales!

Anyway, I hope you can make it to Gary's 07 seminar. Have you upgraded (as Gary would say) your wing chun skills since we last met?your a connoisseur of a lot of things :) as for my training well i spent about 4-5 hours drilling new material last sunday and that s hopefully gonna be a regular thing but of course anything good takes a while... as for the 07 seminar, im already there!

chisauking
11-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Gert: If you call this a short report, I wonder what would have happend if you had the time.

Ho, ho, ho, yes, I'm rather long winded!

It was nice and fun to read. When you make the comments about the bear, I can hear you say it, as you said it in Malvern: "the English bear is the best in the world mate!"

Trust me, mate, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to beer -- I frequently conduct the QC of our beer every night at my pub. LOL

Glad to see you here, even though I don't have much time to part-take myself anymore.

choi

chisauking
11-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Dan: you are more than welcome to visit me any time. We can have a roll and you guys can bash me a bit! LOL

Jon: Glad to hear that you are progressing along. Prehaps you can show me some of the stuff when you are down here next.

Looking forward to seeing all you guys again next year. Hope you have all 'upgraded' yourself and reached a higher level in your wing chun.

Back to training mode, so I won't contribute here for a while.

Take care, and train hard and intelligently.

choi

k gledhill
11-11-2006, 07:15 AM
Hey Choi ! hows it going? if you like wsl method try out desmond spencer [did you ever meet him?] he's teaching in south london...very different to what we did before. but similar po-pai use and more .
beer ..mmmm lol
kg

Ernie
11-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Hey Choi ! hows it going? if you like wsl method try out desmond spencer [did you ever meet him?] he's teaching in south london...very different to what we did before. but similar po-pai use and more .
beer ..mmmm lol
kg

Choi ,,, if your going to research before you visit ;) go see Kev Bell. he has spent time with Clive P,David P, Phillip B, and has been researching Gary's methods for the last 2 years ,,,, He is under David P [ who's methods fit really well in with Gary's ]

Kev has a much more rounded and un biased approach plus he is the only one that has been '' really '' fighting with his VT in recent times .

come to think of it quite a few of you guys that are talking about coming down to visit in LA for training ,, sholuld spend some time with Kev / Adam / or Nick
these guys have really put in time researching many differnt WSL sifu .

allways best to check as many sources as you can !

and don't forget Gert ,,, he was very insightful and giving when he was down ;)

chisauking
11-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Kevin and Ernie:

Thank you very much for your suggestions and kind advice.....however, at this stage of my wing chun development, there's no help but self help. You see, I have reached a stage whereby the only way that I will advance on my skill levels is by solitude training. It's a time where I'm working on shortening my repsonse time (the time between thinking and doing). Put simply, I'm refining what I already know and to 'burn-in' the 'key' system Gary has already given me to my subconscious. Let me give you guys a simplifield analogy....

Most keen chefs here would know how to cook a egg fried rice, right? But....how many can cook to a very high level? For example, how many people here knows that the best rice to use is left-over rice -- or rice thats been let to cool down? Or you need to regulate the flame well for the best result? Or you must not over cook the rice? Or you shouldn't put the rice into the wok too soon? And that speed is essential not to burn the rice when you are cooking at high temperiture?

So you can see from my above analogy that time and practice is all I need to be a better wing chun, which natrally comes from experience and the effort I put into my personal training. My problem is not due to lack of wing chun knowledge but directly down to insuffucient mileage on the 'key' components which Gary has now shown me.

The peoples names you two have submitted are truly dedicated wing chun practitioners -- people like Desmond Spencer, Kev Bell, Adam Cope, Nick Forror SP?.....and I'm sure that all those good guys will make their mark in the world of wing chun in their own time......but the one person that I respect the most is Lam Ming Hog (Gary Lam) Why? Well, as most that knows me will know, I've travelled the world in search of genuine wing chun, and the ONLY person that I've met on my journey that can truly apply wing chun for real -- without resorting to kick boxing, BJJ, Thai boxing, western boxing, Greco westling, JKD, brute strength, etc'., etc., blah, blah, blah -- and is willing to teach me is Gary. He's the only person that comprehends wing chun to such minute and fine details. Off course Gary is not the ONLY wing chun practitioner that can apply wing chun for real, and I've met people thats reach a high level of comprehension and is willing to teach, but not both. Further more -- I know it's hard to believe -- Gary has a good heart, something which I can't say about too many wing chun sifus.

With my many long discussions with Gary, I've confirmed for myself what I'd suspected -- that my comprehension of wing chun is sound. Without sounding big headed, I know what I must do to further myself, and it's only a matter of time before I get there. In learning wing chun, you must first comprehend it. It's akin to reading a map. If you don't learn to navigate and map read first, even if you know where you must go, you don,t know how to get there. Learning wing chun is no differnt. If you don,t comprehend wing chun, learning all its techniques won't get you anywhere -- you will still be on a superficial level (what the Chinese call 'skin deep' gungfu) and resort to kick boxing when you need it the most.

In conclusion, I will say this: If I have offended any one here, I genuinely don't mean to. I'm simply stating what I beleive to be the truth as I see it. Secondly, if you are genuine wing chun practitioner, you are always welcome to show me or prove me wrong. I'm already spending every spare minute of my precious time on practising wing chun, so I don't have too much time to detour too far away from my own and Gary's method.

To Kev Gledhill: Kev, since you are genuine in helping me with my wing chun, I want to recipricate the favour. Since I know that you are a gifted martial artist, I want you to be the best you can. Go and see Gary Lam sometime, and I'm sure your wing chun skills will soar to even greater heights. However, if having met Gary and you don't learn anything from him, let me know and I will reimburse you your airfare. Deal?

The secret to learning wing chun is to understand it first.

michael yan choi

k gledhill
11-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Lmao ! your on if I can convince my wife its 'essential' lol [ dont think so ;) ] I wanted to go to Germany and train With Phillipp Bayer [ a really gifted fighter] but alas Im stuck in the big apple and like you, feel lucky to have met P Bayer who trained along with G Lam under WSL in HK...so Im doing like you said, being a better cook with what I have :D
train hard
k

Ernie
11-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Hey Kev
phillip is a good guy great skills ,, but at the time he was there Gary was teaching at WSL's and helped to teach Phillip in the early stages ,,, they are from different genrations ;) keep cooking rice guys i'm all about pizza :D

k gledhill
11-13-2006, 10:31 AM
everyone helps everyone in the early stages !lol my old sifu helped teach bruce lee the slt
;)

Ernie
11-13-2006, 10:57 AM
everyone helps everyone in the early stages !lol my old sifu helped teach bruce lee the slt
;)

ha ha there you have it
just like allot of people spent time with WSL ;-)