PDA

View Full Version : Kwong Man Foon Pak Mei NYC

MattEl
11-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Is this place a good school? I'm going to observe a class there.

mantiskilla
11-13-2006, 02:30 PM
yes, very good.

http://www.pakmeinyc.net/
________
Make a vaporizer (http://howtomakeavaporizer.info/)

MattEl
11-13-2006, 02:35 PM
I've seen the Web site, but what do you know about it? Have you studied there?

mantiskilla
11-13-2006, 02:42 PM
no i have not studied there, but i have seen some of the students. the students are good. it is obvious they are well trained IMO, and that is not something i say too often or lightly. so take it for what its worth, just my opinion.
________
Vapor Tower (http://vaporizer.org/reviews)

Southern Fist
11-13-2006, 10:49 PM
I have trained in the school prior to relocating to Arizona.
I am an alumni of the school and still promote the style and its teachings.
It is a school which emphasizes on Basics and Foudation. The only way to know If you are right for the style is to try a class.

You will not learn forms just to learn them. My Sifu, Si-hing's, Si-dai's really drill the basics and the sequences constantly.

My Opinion Just look at a class if you like join.

Respectfully,

Peter Pena
Southern Fist Club

meltdawn
11-14-2006, 08:09 AM
"many will come, few will stay."

they train hard.

MattEl
11-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Sounds great. I'm going to check it out tonight.

Faruq
11-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Check out the school's ESPY-TV video. Outstanding!

meltdawn
11-16-2006, 08:38 AM
well Matt, how did it go?

MattEl
11-19-2006, 01:09 PM
I actually did not make it there last week. But this Tuesday night I plan to.

MattEl
11-22-2006, 05:32 PM
actually, and I know that someone from most schools on here watch for posts (about themselves) but even so -- it was pretty ****ed impressive.

Now I come at this from the limited perspective of someone who's never seriously studied a MA, but still, I've visited a ton of schools to see what's out there over the past several months. It was intense, and I didn't get a lot of lame talk about contracts, and instructors "spontaneously" giving me their philosophy (although in all fairness, I guess you need a sales spiel if you want to stay in business).

Want to check out a few more places, but enough already -- time to stop browsing and start training, somewhere, in some form. Strong possibility this place could be it. (Not that they're holding their breath : )

Faruq
11-22-2006, 05:54 PM
I expected as much. I just wish when I was looking for a of school about 5 to 7 years back, that a person of KMF's calibre was running a school here. Or maybe that Chin Suey Dor was still here (in Chicago, that is).

MattEl
11-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Watching them spar and drill, it seemed like pak mei is a very hands and arms centered at -- a lot of blocking and punching etc. Is there much kicking going on (aside from little push kicks) in the art?

meltdawn
11-25-2006, 07:02 AM
well Matt, i suppose you could join the school and find out for yourself. :)

Juan Nowon
11-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Watching them spar and drill, it seemed like pak mei is a very hands and arms centered at -- a lot of blocking and punching etc. Is there much kicking going on (aside from little push kicks) in the art?

Hey partner,

Those kicks you see in the Bak Mei sets are serious.... They may appear to be little push kicks, but these are very usefull and quite capable of sending an adversary tumbling the opposite direction.

If you are serious about learning usefull skill, Bak Mei is an excellent selection. As you can tell, this school in particular, is not for the faint hearted (IMHO).

The best to you and your training