PDA

View Full Version : Eight Immortals (drunken kung fu)

the guardian
11-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Being new to the forum and searching for a kung fu school in the bay area, I came across this teacher Troy Dunwood who teaches the eight immortals style in Oakland, California. I called and asked if I could watch one of the classes and he agreed. I was quite surprised to see this style focus on martial technique and not so much of the exagerated motions of some other systems. But what truly got my attention with this guy was the way he used his power and the fact that he does movements that cause you to react and then he follows through with a technique very different than the one he made you react to in the first place. Overall he is really a nice guy who shared alot of information with me. I truly look at drunken boxing in a different light now that i've seen it up close and personal. Sifu Troy Dunwood has the skills and the knowledge and I advise anyone who's thinking about learning kung fu to check this guy out, he not only teaches eight immortals style, but choy lee fut, hung gar and wing chun too.

jigahus
11-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Ya I read about the 8 immortals drunken fist post Sifu Dunwood made a while back. That part about misdirection in attacked was mentioned. Well it's good to see a student express the likes of the system. I would like to take a look at the classes and maybe even enroll if I wasn't down here in LA. :rolleyes:

nyhakka
11-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Good for you! I hear Troy is a great sifu and real gentleman. Good luck in your training!

nyhakka
11-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Guardian, thanks for the compliment

nyhakka, thanks for the kind words

It is very important to myself to dispel the real from the unreal concernining my teachers family style. I truly feel like its my sole duty to cut away at all the hocus pocus concerning drunken boxng and get to the realness of this fighting style, for the world at large, because most have a concept of movie and or contemporary wushu, but we fight and fight for real and this is the difference. Everyone that have come to visit me asking about drunken boxing have joined my club, no i'm not tooting my horn, its just a statement of fact to the realness and true practibility of this kung fu. As a student of choy lee fut, hung gar gar, wing chun, buk sil lum and others the eight immortals style has presented me with the complete package it truly is a all encompassing system.

I think that is true of all styles brother!! You're very lucky to have found that in your sifu. Interesting stuff I'd like to see more.

Fook Kuil
11-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Nice marketing! :rolleyes:

jigahus
11-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Nice marketing! :rolleyes:

Nice handle:rolleyes:

Shaolin Wookie
12-10-2006, 08:01 AM
Man, I joined hte only school in ATL that teaches Eight Immortals--thing is, you gotta wade through like four years of forms collecting to get to that point, and it's the only thing I really want. Ah well, I'll be physically ready for it when it comes around. I'm already able to push out a good number of one-legged squats. And I've learned an elementary drunken form--not Eight Immortals, but drunken nevertheless...

****, it must be good to live in CALI....