PDA

View Full Version : The Bak Fu Pai of Du Yuesheng.

The Xia
11-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Ok, let's get one thing clear. This is not a place to talk about Doo Wai. There are already several threads for that. If you want to talk about him, please use those threads but do not use this one. I was browsing wikipedia. I came across the article for Du Yuesheng. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du_Yuesheng
It says he did Bak Fu Pai and taught it at Wampoa military academy. Anyone know anything about this?

CLFLPstudent
11-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Hmmm, interesting. If the article is true it says Du taught alongside Chan Tai San..... I'm sure there are some on this board who should be able to shed some light on this....

-David

lkfmdc
11-15-2006, 09:46 PM
wikipedia is a site where anyone can write anything and here is a clear case

Chan Tai San was NOT an instructor at Whampoa. Whampoa was set up in 1924-25.. Chan Tai San was BORN in 1920... I can say he wasn't teachign there are the age of 5 :rolleyes:

Furthermore, as someone with a master's in Chinese history, who had a keen interest in the Green Gang, I've read hundreds of accounts and many first hand documents and never seen any refernece to "Bak Fu" or "white tiger"...

In fact, the green gang is well known for its affiliation with Lo Han Men... so much so that one Du's bodyguards was a well known Lo Han Men teacher who actually is currently in the US

FuXnDajenariht
11-15-2006, 10:35 PM
could it possibly be another Chan Tai San?

lkfmdc
11-15-2006, 10:54 PM
could it possibly be another Chan Tai San?

possible? anything is possible, Abel and KF could get married, it's possible :eek:

SifuAbel
11-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Not if the republicans have anything to do with it.

BTW, Knife, I'm a "Power Top". :rolleyes:

Firehawk4
11-16-2006, 07:04 AM
That article does not say anything about Bak Fu Pai White Tiger it says that Du and his Green Gang practiced and new some kind of Tiger kung fu . It also says that he taught next to Cheung Lai Chun of Pak Mai White Eyebrow kung fu style and not Chan Tai San .

lkfmdc
11-16-2006, 07:13 AM
That article does not say anything about Bak Fu Pai White Tiger it says that Du and his Green Gang practiced and new some kind of Tiger kung fu . It also says that he taught next to Cheung Lai Chun of Pak Mai White Eyebrow kung fu style and not Chan Tai San .

I edite out the references to Chan Tai San and white tiger....

David Jamieson
11-16-2006, 07:37 AM
the problem with wiki is that anyone can edit it at any second and you will wind up reading several variations or a given story, ergo...except for strongly established wiki's, it is not a good site for information and really shaky when it comes to obscure stuff like this that's real easy to just make up on teh spot.

having said that, Dave, why don't you tell people here the truth about white tiger. :D you know, just for the heck of it. I'm sure a few people know what time it is but just aren't saying nothing because they don't want to get involved.

But I'll start.

a) white tiger kungfu is a fabrication of one man(well two counting simon olaf) and doesn't have significant historical foundations that can be legitimized.

Yao Sing
11-16-2006, 09:10 AM
I put David Ross in where Chan Tai San was originally but then changed my mind.

Wikipedia is a joke as far as documentation.

B-Rad
11-16-2006, 10:03 AM
a) white tiger kungfu is a fabrication of one man(well two counting simon olaf) and doesn't have significant historical foundations that can be legitimized.
When did his fake White Tiger come about? I've come across at least 3 phoney white tiger systems.

The Xia
11-16-2006, 03:02 PM
wikipedia is a site where anyone can write anything and here is a clear case

Chan Tai San was NOT an instructor at Whampoa. Whampoa was set up in 1924-25.. Chan Tai San was BORN in 1920... I can say he wasn't teachign there are the age of 5 :rolleyes:

Furthermore, as someone with a master's in Chinese history, who had a keen interest in the Green Gang, I've read hundreds of accounts and many first hand documents and never seen any refernece to "Bak Fu" or "white tiger"...

In fact, the green gang is well known for its affiliation with Lo Han Men... so much so that one Du's bodyguards was a well known Lo Han Men teacher who actually is currently in the US
Wikipedia can be edited by anyone and sometimes it really shows. I couldn’t find any other reference to Du Yuesheng doing Bak Fu Pai save for on internet forums (which makes me wonder where this notion of Du Yuesheng doing Bak Fu Pai comes from). So I as posted it here to get to the bottom of it as opposed to taking it as truth. As far as you know, did Du Yuesheng practice any Kung Fu style? Perhaps Lo Han Men?

lkfmdc
11-16-2006, 03:31 PM
I doubt he did "kung fu" (other than knifing a few people from time to time) and I don't think he was even at Whampoa but I'd have to look it up to be sure

Du was Ningpoese, and Whampoa was in Guangdong

The Xia
11-17-2006, 12:40 AM
hmmmm...which leads me to the question of where you can look up that sort of thing. The Kung Fu practices of the Qing Bang sparks my interest.